HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Well said, MTP.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #5537
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Well said? Because she is lashing out at god for her mother's beliefs?
I don't consider one persons screwed up religiosity the basis for what I believe or do not believe. Seems like much misplaced hostility. Why all the anger toward an entity one doesn't even believe in.

Life is full of disease. It hurts. It sucks. It makes no sense. It isn't a plan of a superior being. It is the way of all organic nature. That is all.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #5538
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I don't consider one persons screwed up religiosity the basis for what I believe or do not believe. Seems like much misplaced hostility. Why all the anger toward an entity one doesn't even believe in.

Life is full of disease. It hurts. It sucks. It makes no sense. It isn't a plan of a superior being. It is the way of all organic nature. That is all.
Lashing out at the idea of God, at the idea of blind faith, at the idea of religion... not God, Himself.

... Right, person whom I've never spoken to? (MoreThanPretty.)

Also, I'm terribly sorry that your sister, so young, has to go through so much... However, if she is able, or your mother is able, to find some comfort, in their faith... well, that, to me, is the only good to come from faith... At least they can find some form of shelter, of comfort, from what is a truly atrocious thing to happen to somebody so young.

I can see why to say "God has a reason" is better than to say "Well, nature's sure a bitch, why am I the unlucky one, why do I have to deal with this?" Don't you think? I mean, some happiness, regardless of where it's found, is better than sinking into a pit of pure depression and despair.

(I don't believe in any "God," and, to be honest, I find the entire idea of magic-men, zombie-messiahs, ghosts, and the like, to be a foolish escape for people too afraid to face the real world... but I can see the comfort your sister, and mother, must get from it... and I'd not try to take that away from them, in any manner.)
Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #5539
HungLikeJesus

What if it's preventing them from seeking more rational strategies?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #5540
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

HLJ I wish....it were so.

If disease and ailments is some kind of spiritual warfare then I'm giving the devil a left hook right in the kisser. POW

That's what I tell my mom. FIGHT dammit FIGHT
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #5541
TheDaVinciChode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
If faith ever gets placed before/beyond medical reasoning/help... then...

Well, that's difficult. It's unfair to take away somebody's faith, but when it's stopping them from seeking the help they actually need... I suppose you've got to try and encourage them to seek that help, even if it means bending that faith, to allow such help to be sought.

(Perhaps encourage them, through/with their faith, to seek the help... unless their faith is directly against whatever help may be needed... in that case, as above, you'd have to try and bend their faith, to an acceptable degree, whereby they will readily seek that help, in the belief/acceptance that their God would want them to.)
Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #5542
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Well said, MTP.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post

You need to read my post better, especially this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I have to get this part out of my system. So if offends you, ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaVinciChode View Post
Lashing out at the idea of God, at the idea of blind faith, at the idea of religion... not God, Himself.

... Right, person whom I've never spoken to? (MoreThanPretty.)
Right.

Quote:
Also, I'm terribly sorry that your sister, so young, has to go through so much... However, if she is able, or your mother is able, to find some comfort, in their faith... well, that, to me, is the only good to come from faith... At least they can find some form of shelter, of comfort, from what is a truly atrocious thing to happen to somebody so young.

I can see why to say "God has a reason" is better than to say "Well, nature's sure a bitch, why am I the unlucky one, why do I have to deal with this?" Don't you think? I mean, some happiness, regardless of where it's found, is better than sinking into a pit of pure depression and despair.
I agree, that is why I have held my peace with my family and let them say whatever crazy shit they want to to make themselves feel better. It has been hard not to point out the stupidity of that belief, but if it does them some good...oh well. Let them be stupid.

Quote:
(I don't believe in any "God," and, to be honest, I find the entire idea of magic-men, zombie-messiahs, ghosts, and the like, to be a foolish escape for people too afraid to face the real world... but I can see the comfort your sister, and mother, must get from it... and I'd not try to take that away from them, in any manner.)
I will rile against their beliefs most of the time (gays are sinners, abortion is a sin, out of wedlock sex is evil, ect ect) but this is one of those things I am keeping my mouth shut on because they need it badly and it doesn't hurt anyone (like the other beliefs do).

Quote:
Fortunately, despite my sister's belief in god, she also has a rational mind and understands the benefits of science. She is following her doctor's instructions and medically proven treatments. My mom is bugging her even with all of her "if you eat [insert miracle food here] you'll get better!" If my sister were being irrational and relying on "faith" to heal her, I would definitely give her a reality check.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #5543
Nirvana
Back in 10

I am sorry about your sister MTP. Whatever she is doing to give herself hope is right for her, and its great that you understand.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #5544
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

What Nirvana said. Seems like you have a good handle on things.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #5545
TheDaVinciChode

My Coke glass is no longer cold, and no longer contains Coke.

... and my fridge is not within arm's reach.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #5546
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
My Coke glass is no longer cold, and no longer contains Coke.

... and my fridge is not within arm's reach.
You need a helper monkey!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #5547
TheDaVinciChode

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
You need a helper monkey!
I really do... think I could find one, on eBay?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #5548
HungLikeJesus

I don't think so.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #5549
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

my fiscal incontinence.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #5550
Pie
Gone and done

MTP, I am very sorry to hear about your sister. Such violent autoimmune issues at such a young age -- well, it's pretty hideous. All I can say is that our knowledge in the field of immunology is growing incredibly fast right now; new treatment options and therapies are being invented left and right.

Quote:
I agree, that is why I have held my peace with my family and let them say whatever crazy shit they want to to make themselves feel better. It has been hard not to point out the stupidity of that belief, but if it does them some good...oh well. Let them be stupid.
Yep, it's very hard not to point out other people's crazy shit. But evangelizing atheists are just as offensive as evangelizing christians. Good for you in recognizing the difference.

Quote:
Fortunately, despite my sister's belief in god, she also has a rational mind and understands the benefits of science. She is following her doctor's instructions and medically proven treatments. My mom is bugging her even with all of her "if you eat [insert miracle food here] you'll get better!" If my sister were being irrational and relying on "faith" to heal her, I would definitely give her a reality check.

Tags
swiss