The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #46
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

What a luxury, to be so burdened with free time and opinions that we can waste them on an internet feud. This must be what they call a "rich people" problem.

So, about feeding the poor ...
Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #47
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Well this has been a fun read so far. You have to admit, dyke is kind of fun to say. Dyke dyke dyke dyke dyke dyke dyke dyke dyke
Old 11-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #48
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22966
Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #49
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
What a luxury, to be so burdened with free time and opinions that we can waste them on an internet feud. This must be what they call a "rich people" problem.

So, about feeding the poor ...
Well...I wasn't engaged in a feud. I was engaged in an argument. An Off Topic argument granted :P

Over in the Uk, our new coalition gobmint is busy dismantling the welfare state as fast as (questionably-)humanly possible. At a time when more and more people are losing their jobs and fewer and fewer new jobs are being created, the mechanisms of assistance are being rapidly curtailed. What assistance remains is being partnered up with a requirement for 'community service' and for accepting any job offered no matter what.

This is likely in my opinion, and based on what happened during the late 80s/early 90s, to have a dual effect. Firstly, much of what is being tagged as 'community service' is in fact work that is currently being done by various groups of employees from both the public and private sector. So rather than people being paid a living wage to clean up flytipping, or deliver meals-on-wheels to the housebound elderly, at least some of the time this will be done by people who are not being paid a living wage. They end up less economically active than the full-time worker who could be doing that work. At the same time budget strained councils and public organisations will be able to manage with fewer paid workers in some areas.

They're probably apocryphal, but I recall stories from the 90s of council workers being laid off then after a year of being unable to find work being sent to do some kind of unpaid 'work scheme' with the private firm that had taken over the refuse collections. Essentially doing the same job but for benefits instead of an hourly wage.

The other thing that will happen, I suspect, is that given the emphasis on timescales and the kinds of pressure applied both in terms of having to take any job whatever the score, and in terms of being highly unlikely to be able to succesfully reclaim should that job go wrong: the amount of basic leverage for employees and prospective employees will fall to an all time low. The minimum wage is apparently being reduced, so this will speed the process: this part of the plan will drive wages down.

What we are heading towards is what seems to be have already happened in the States: the re-appearance of large sectors of working poor. Where a family can have two adults in work, one of them with two jobs and still can't quite cover food, healthcare and rent.

[eta] For the record: i disapprove :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #50
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Over in the Uk, our new coalition gobmint is busy dismantling the welfare state as fast as (questionably-)humanly possible.
Now if we could just get our Government to do the same thing...
Old 11-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #51
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Merc, how should we feel about reducing veterans' benefits "
like say,
- the VA medical care of veteran's family members ?
- the VA medical care of pre-existing conditions of veterans ?
or others that may come from the feds and/or the states

Mind you, I'm truly not in favor of such cuts, but sometimes it is a matter of "go gore someone else's ox"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #52
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Dana - it's too early for this to have trickled down to the Job Centres, but I can totally see where your concerns are. I sit in the Job Centre every week and hear other people talk. I'm sure someone in there must be work-shy dole-scum - according to the tabloids there are millions of them after all. But all I hear every week is people talking about the job they went for that had over 100 applicants so they wouldn't take any more applications (the sandwich shop "Just Baguettes") the person who did a qualification in Public Services in the hope of getting a job with the Police then was turned down for the medical, the woman who is obliged to take minimum wage offers but is worried about moving her daughter from the childcare she was previously in, and would rather hold out for a better paid job (she was previously a PA).

Also, I wonder if places like schools - who can't cope without unpaid help as it is - might decide to take on less paid help as budgets tighten.

Since I've had my job offer I've actually been trying harder to find work. Why? Because previously I was looking for a forever-job. I admit I was picking and choosing, so I would not end up depressed again, long term far less burden on the system. Oh and I'd be happier of course While waiting for my enhanced CRB however I passed the 6 month deadline and was required to search for other work and work within a 90 minute travelling radius. As a law abiding citizen I have done so. I've now applied for dozens of retail jobs (thinking my withdrawal would have less impact on them when I started my "real" work) and I have had ONE interview. For which I did not get the job. I have retail experience, cash handling and credit card processing experience, I've managed petty cash, I've been the keyholder for two retail establishments, I'm internet savvy, I'm of an age where women generally have school age children as opposed to pregnant-potential. Yes, I've had depression, but I now have a valid (basic) CRB and a food hygiene certificate. And I can't get a job in a jellybean concession.

I'm not bigging myself up here - "I'm too good for you so why aren't you offering me a job" - I'm just saying it really is hard.

On the flip side I am so grateful for my opportunity to volunteer.
I just doubt it would have helped if my volunteering was picking up litter or scrubbing graffiti off walls. Unless an electrically charged storm gave me super-powers when doing so of course (Misfits reference)
Old 11-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #53
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Merc, how should we feel about reducing veterans' benefits "
like say,
- the VA medical care of veteran's family members ?
- the VA medical care of pre-existing conditions of veterans ?
or others that may come from the feds and/or the states

Mind you, I'm truly not in favor of such cuts, but sometimes it is a matter of "go gore someone else's ox"
I would have no problem with increasing the amount we pay for our medical benefits but make no mistake, we gave something to get them, there is and was a contractual relationship between our service and what we now receive. There is no parallel in the social system.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #54
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
. There is no parallel in the social system.
Oh really? Every one of my pay stubs for the last 20 years would disagree with you.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #55
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Oh really? Every one of my pay stubs for the last 20 years would disagree with you.
No they wouldn't, because the few dollars you lost do not compare with the hardships of military service on you or your family. And BTW, all those dollars earned in the military are taxed at the same rate unless deployed. There is no way you can make such a comparison.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why not? A contract is a contract, the terms, price, duration, promise of return don't matter, it shouldn't be canceled unilaterally.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #57
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm sorry this thread was back on topic before I posted this. I was anonymous, just really curious as to why lamp (who I like, btw) always referred to his location in the airport (PDX) sense.

Too shy to come back full on, knowing how badly I left, I didn't know posting this question anonymously would bring on such a shitstorm.

I am sorry to the community. I am mostly sorry to monster. In my opinion, she is a shining example of a real human being. As with the people I most admire in my life, I wonder... if you don't get along with them, then, the fault might be yours.

You will now resume your regular programming.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Shaw, you have emeritus status... it means, you can leave any way you like and come back any way you like...

...as long as you come back any way you like.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #59
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Trust me shaw, I don't think its you're fault the drama started...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #60
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I'm sorry this thread was back on topic before I posted this. I was anonymous, just really curious as to why lamp (who I like, btw) always referred to his location in the airport (PDX) sense.

Too shy to come back full on, knowing how badly I left, I didn't know posting this question anonymously would bring on such a shitstorm.

I am sorry to the community. I am mostly sorry to monster. In my opinion, she is a shining example of a real human being. As with the people I most admire in my life, I wonder... if you don't get along with them, then, the fault might be yours.

You will now resume your regular programming.
Most of us knew you were anonymous. At least I did.