The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I do $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #47
Griff
still says videotape

I found the chart at agrimarketing.com. they got the info from Farm Journal.

This is the notation for the chart of market share.
Five Years of Seed Market Share: Company/brand consolidations and genetic performance continue to drive changes in seed market shares. One share point of seed corn in the U.S. market in 2014 (90.9 acres at 31,500 planting rate) represents 357,000 standard units of sales at an estimated retail value of $107 million. One share point of soybean seed in 2014 (84.2 million acres at 140,000 planting rate) represents 842,000 standard units of sales at an estimated retail value of $50 million.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #48
Griff
still says videotape

Monsanto has since purchased Syngenta.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #49
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Did you discuss this somewhere? I don't know anyone who got West Nile. And do not know about the experience (how one knows, what symptoms are like, what is involve in treatment).
The symptomatic result was meningitis. Typical appearance: a little fatigue, stiff neck, severely debilitating headache. After two primary physicians gave me painkillers and muscle relaxers, I ended up in the ER for the pain where they gave me a spinal tap "just to be sure."

The tech said, "You can see the fluid coming out is pretty clear, so I doubt it's meningitis..." Then they left the room to do the test, and when they came back everyone was wearing masks. And he said, "So, you can probably imagine why we're wearing these now..."

The white blood cell count was so high, they figured it couldn't be anything but bacterial, but on the other hand, "if it were bacterial you should be dead by now." After about 24 hours they confirmed it was viral (of some kind), and stopped the IV antibiotics, but continued testing the sample further because the symptoms were so severe. On I think the third day of hospitalization some new doctor came in to let me know that they'd confirmed it was West Nile, and were reporting that to the CDC as required, but since I was almost better by then (well, better enough to go home anyway) it was a formality at that point.

After getting off the morphine IV and going home, I had to stay on the hydrocodone pills for I think a week, and then regular ibuprofen for maybe another three weeks after that.

I had been camping in the Texas woods the week before all this happened, so they assume it was transmitted from a mosquito bite during that trip.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #50
glatt

Glad you pulled through.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #51
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nah, West Nile has been blown out of proportion like most of the slightly-unusual diseases. Only 1 in 150 cases of infection actually results in meningitis, and only 3-15% of those folks die, and it's only the weak/elderly/young doing the dying, just like people who "die" from the flu. They never even considered giving me antivirals, SOP is to just manage the pain until you get better.

Texas is for whatever reason a relative hotbed for West Nile as far as those things go, a friend of my dad's also got it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Glad you pulled through.
Of course, but what about the poor little mosquito. Won't somebody think of the mosquitos.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #53
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Monsanto has since purchased Syngenta.
I think they are trying to take over the ORGANIC market as well as everything else!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #54
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think they are trying to take over the ORGANIC market as well as everything else!
If I remember, the Syngenta purchase is the address the glyphosate resistant crop problem. Monsanto is big into genetic modification. But is not strong in pesticide development. Intent was to create a new pesticide/genetic crop combination to do what was originally done with glyphosate. So that farmers can rotate their crops - to eliminate problems associated with only using one product - as described earlier in post 24
tw is offline   Reply With Quote