The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #46
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
..., ended suddenly today when I told everyone firmly that the session was over and thanks for their help but I was not going to participate in the discussion any longer.
solid
Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #47
it
Banned

awesome thread - presumptious and proves its presumptions.

like others, i didn't have much apriciation of my mother until shit hit the fan (and she proved her worth as a safety net).

stuff that bothered me:
unlike my father which was more in touch with the economic reality while he was alive, my mother has ideals from the baby boomer generation and expectations with it - house prices (and rents), college tuitions, even gas prices and public transport (we lived far from the city), placed me in a position where it was nearly impossible for me to start from scretch without any financial stimulai if you will or some kind of help, and i eventually did get on my feet (to make my own mistakes and fall again), but it took me a much longer time to save the money to do so with longer periods between jobs. in the mean time she's filling up a heated pool that she never uses and flies with the most expansive airlines on my father's investments. only much later when she studied herself with kids my age she started to understand the reality.

also, she loves hosting and taking full credit for it - "do you want tea dear? o don't worry i'll just call me son to come home so that he can make it for you so i don't have to get up".

but honestly she was there when nobody else was - she is there for me now (freshly divorced - 2 weeks). no complaint about her can measure against that.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #48
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

LOVE my mom. Dad, too.

Of course, growing up, there were lots of angry/hateful moments (most of which, I've come to realize, had to do with mom's horrendous 12-year menopause; dear GAWD she was mental!), but those days are long gone, and much has changed.

Today, my parents are my best friends and staunchest supporters. I'm SO lucky to have them and SO dreading their eventual decline. Happily, even at 85 they're both doing amazingly well. Some day soon, though, I'll have to leave my home to go take care of them, and I'll do it happily. They're always been there for me and the very least I can do is be there for them.

Thanks mom and dad.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #49
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post

but honestly she was there when nobody else was - she is there for me now (freshly divorced - 2 weeks). no complaint about her can measure against that.
And that there is the crux of it. If she's there when nobody else is then she is doing her job as Mum.

Hiya Trace Sorry i missed your first post. Glad you came over. You'll fit in here.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #50
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
And that there is the crux of it. If she's there when nobody else is then she is doing her job as Mum.

Hiya Trace Sorry i missed your first post. Glad you came over. You'll fit in here.

so why do YOU hate (or hated) your mom?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #51
DanaC

ha!

I never have I'm afraid. I was blessed with a wonderful mother. My rock and best friend and co-conspirator all.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #52
it
Banned

dad?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #53
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quite personal questions there, Trac.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #54
DanaC

Ahh Dad. He was a wonderful man, but a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Quite eccentric and tending to be a bit of a hermit.

There's a lot of stuff we don't know about my Dad. Questions that were never answered. and some that were never asked. Our suspicion was that he had a separate life that we weren't a part of. Possibly that he was gay and in the closet. Not that we ever doubted he loved us. And he and Mum remained friends after they divorced (when i was 12).

But he was of that generation that didn't really consider coming out of any closets. It was still illegal when he was a young man. And his family were very conservative. Old anglo-Indian family from the British Raj.

He was also a nightworker for most of his adult life. So even when we were still together as a family, he lived to a different clock to us. There was always a bit of a separation. me, Mum and our martin, and then Dad.

Brilliant storyteller he was. He could be a little taciturn at times, but it was all surface. He was very gentle really.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #55
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Quite personal questions there, Trac.
*smiles* thanks m'dear. But I don't mind. I know Trace from another board. So, it's not quite as out the blue personal as it looks :p