The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #46
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Communication error: Did you just say that you go to the store to buy a device to keep your hernia from sticking out and underpants?
Troosies (i.e trousers) - not trusses, mind you some of the cuts of M&S trousers....
Old 11-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #47
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've never heard of a thing called a Walnut Whip. Describe. Please.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #48
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
snip--
Wonder what they're like deep fried......?
On the off chance you're not asking rhetorically (and with triple digit posts, you should know better...), I give you the Deep Fried Snickers Bar.

A visual sample:

I have had this before, more than once, and it is tasty, decadent, but not the highest expression of chocolate's sublimity. Have one (or two) if you get the chance, then you can cross that one off your dance card.

edit: fixed spelling typo with Montrose's Hot, Sweet and Sticky in the background. Appropos.

Last edited by BigV; 11-11-2005 at 06:45 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #49
Griff
still says videotape

Did anybody mention Nutella?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #50
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I forgot all about Nutella! Oh, yummmmmmm! Going to the store to get some right NOW!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #51
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I've never heard of a thing called a Walnut Whip. Describe. Please.
It was a pyramid/cone of whirly milk chocolate about 2" high and 2" diameter at the base. The inside was hollow and contained white mousse-like fluffy chocolate - very light in texture more like whipped egg white. The whole thing was capped with a half walnut

The chocolate was fairly thick and it took a good set of choppers (teeth) to bite through it. The trick was to bite off the top with walnut and a good chunk of chocolate first, then to suck out the white fluffy mixture leaving the empty shell to attack wuth gusto - all in all, very messy in terms of execution, but very satisfying in terms of eating experience!!

This picture gives you an idea of what I mean. Looks like Nestle apparently still makes them (of a sort) but the originals were made by a small manufacturere called Duncan - Duncan's Walnut Whips were in a class of their own!

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 11-12-2005 at 05:25 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #52
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
On the off chance you're not asking rhetorically (and with triple digit posts, you should know better...), I give you the Deep Fried Snickers Bar.

A visual sample:

I have had this before, more than once, and it is tasty, decadent, but not the highest expression of chocolate's subimity. Have one (or two) if you get the chance, then you can cross that one off your dance card.
Thank god you explained that - I thought it was a diseased lung at first!!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #53
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
Wen i was last in Melbourne Airport i brought (for $15.99 a slab!) this special chocolate caled foroco (or somethign like that) any way i brought it in a slab form and you got a little potato peeler thing with it to peel off some when you wanted a slice. It was made, instead of dairy milk, with the milk from puree'd hazelnuts and natural cocoa beans. it was abosolutely worth every cent i paid for it.. just divine! but i felt so seedy afterward!
I think you mean Ferrero Rocher. They sell them here in the US in drugstores and department stores.

I've never heard of them in slabs. I've only seen the chocolate candies in the gold wrapper. According to their FAQ, they do have others.

Quote:
Q: What other products are made by Ferrero?
A: There are many products made by Ferrero worldwide, some of which you may be very familiar with, and some of which have yet to be introduced in the U.S.A. A few of the products you may be familiar with are:

* Tic Tac®, "The 1½ Calorie Breath Mint"
* Nutella®, "The Original Hazelnut Spread®"
* Mon Cheri®, "Fine Milk Chocolate with Toasted Hazelnuts"
* Tic Tac Silvers®, "The sweet little candy with the big heart of mint"
* Raffaello®, "The Crispy, Creamy Coconut Almond Treat"
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:20 AM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Deep Fried Snickers looks very scary.

Walnut Whips, OTOH, sound like something that has to be tried.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #55
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

On the Walnut Whips front, I seem to remember that there was another half-walnut in the base, under the fluffy stuff... Sundae Girl??

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 11-12-2005 at 05:19 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #56
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I think I may have discovered the ultimate Christmas present for all you chocoholics (don't forget to click on 'more pictures'...).

Shouldn't be any trouble finding this in the USA and Australia as well (you'll be pleased to learn...)
Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #57
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
I think I may have discovered the ultimate Christmas present for all you chocoholics (don't forget to click on 'more pictures'...).

Shouldn't be any trouble finding this in the USA and Australia as well (you'll be pleased to learn...)
They have been selling them on one or all of the shopping channels this week. For some reason, every time I channel surf, I see it.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #58
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
They have been selling them on one or all of the shopping channels this week. For some reason, every time I channel surf, I see it.
We lead a sheltered life in rural England - the shopping channels here are somewhat quiet about this product. Now you have infomed me, I can see it quickly finding its place amongst those other great inventions that now occupy deep corners of kitchen cupboards - like the Brevill Sandwich Toaster and George Foreman's Electric Grill - not to mention those machines that made sparking drinks (damn, I said I wouldn't mention them...!)
Old 11-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #59
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Saw one at my local CVS this morning too.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm pretty sure I saw the chocolate fountain on QVC this week also. Interesting device, but despite my love for chocolate I know I have no need for one.

I would like to have a cotton candy maker, though, especially for those long winter nights when cotton candy would be just thing (I think our British friends would call it spun sugar).

Do not mock the George Foreman Grill. It is the greatest invention since the waffle iron.

And now you've also got me thinking how good it would be to make a toasted cheese and bacon sandwich in my sandwich iron.

No, I do not have a turkey fryer or a Popiel Showtime Rotisserie. Or a bread machine.

Limited kitchen cabinet space here in the apt.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote