The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #6601
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Good to hear monie!

Me beez happy cuz I'm going flying tomorrow morning! Yay!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #6602
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
So who gets credit, FSM or Post Toastaism?
I'mm'a call the nekkid fairy. 'cause I was in the shower when the guy hammered on the door. And my cowskirt (yeah, go look that up) was two floors down in the tumble drier.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #6603
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hebe got another first in the Breaststroke. By .03 of a second. I was at the lane end screaming my head off because she was behind with about 10 yards to go. (I'm "coach" at this meet -like I could tell her anything about swiming). She did it.

her highschool coach-to-be recognized her when she walked on deck and said that her stroke was so nice she's surpised her 100 time isn't faster than it is (I never told the coach her time, she must've researched it) ...and the coach of the school we're zoned for but opted out of came over to say how nicely she swam too.

And her new coach was on the same bus on the way back to school and told me "She's going to make me look good".

O,h and her new summer team coach was there and said all his swimmers were afraid of her (they all swim for the same winter team and are her close friends, but it was fun to hear that)

I know, this should probably be in the bragging parents thread, but hell, it's making me happy today.

And we got the passports.

And we went to the hockey tonight and the Whalers came from 3 behind to win in overtime.

And I can still do the splits.

I guess it's asking too much to hope to anti-domestic-slovenliness fairies will deal with my house in time for banana lady's arrival in 12 hours?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #6604
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The good, I don't have to work today.

The bad, I stayed up to late on Chat with some other Dewllers and I have a headache.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #6605
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I had a eureka that Minifobette's control issues regarding potty-training apparently stem from an anxiety with our physical bathroom. She has been going all day just fine in the little portable potty, now that it's out in the middle of the living room.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #6606
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That's totally awesome Clod!

What's making me happy: this week I have been almost efficient and responsible with my time...I have done some actual work (!) on the sources I gathered in London (writing up some findings). More importantly, perhaps, I arranged a Doc's appointment for yesterday ( in the morning no less!) and attended (as opposed to oversleeping and phoning through a cancellation 15 mins before I was due to attend as is my usual style). Got my elbow checked and yes, it is just tennis elbow again, and I am on some strong anti-inflammatories.

This is important because, after my last experience with the injection into the tendon (fucking owww!) which helped for abot 48 hours before it got worse than ever and stayed that way, it's been gradually getting worse. I realised the other day that i have slowly been transferring tasks to my left hand/arm (such as lifting a full kettle) and sometimes when i attempt to, for instance, scratch an itch on my nose I can't actually get my hand to my face without great diffculty. This has been going on for fucking months, on and off.

Not only did I go to my docs appt, but whilst my prescription was being made up, I popped round to the opticians and they said they could fit me in for an eye test in half an hour. So after I'd collected my meds, I went off and had my eyes tested. I am now the proud owner of some decent reading glasses.

I have noticed over the last year that my sight in my right eye has become quite bad. If I close my right eye I can read perfectly with my left, If I close my left eye the text is completely blurred. It's been deteriorating for a year or so, but this last year it's become a real problem. I find if I am reading I get tired really quickly, and often end up closing my right eye to read. Whilst working in the archives this last reaearch trip, I bought some over the counter reading glasses and the difference it made was profound. I have also been using a magnifying glass to read ingredients and cooking instructions on ready meals.

Apparently, the left eye needs barely any prescription at all, but the right eye has become very long-sighted (I think is what he said) I also have a stigmatism in the right eye.

Despite the fact that I am still getting used to the glasses, and get that slightly woozy feeling from wearing them, I am already able to work/study longer than before. I spent three hours today reading sources on my computer screen and didn't have to go and lie down halfway through as I have found myself doing recently.

The lenses should have been £99 and then the cost of the frames on top of that. But there was a special offer on a small range of unisex frames that basically meant paying for the frames alone, with the cost of the lenses knocked off. I then added anti-glare and scratch protection and the total cost was only £116.

AND I was a good citizen and filled out my census return online this afternoon.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #6607
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ooh! Can we see a picture of you in your sexy new glasses?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #6608
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yes....when I have washed my hair lol.

Right now it looks like I dipped my head into a deep fat fryer:p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #6609
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Went flying today and the weather was perfect. Bobby flew the leg to college station where we had lunch at dixie chicken and i flew the leg back to houston with a perfect landing just before the numbers. Vids later when i get home from work.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #6610
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I meant to say yesterday - Tiger's hours with the Speech Therapist have been cut. It was previously an hour a week, now it's three hours a term! She feels he is getting enough support and backup in the classroom, and has made excellent progress. Pats on the back all round. It was an expected outcome, once he had someone with him on a daily basis, but it's still a good positive step.

I also stepped into stop one of our "troubled" boys getting into trouble unfairly today.
We have a rather odd little girl, who was taken out of school in October because she hated it so much. Mum decided she could not learn in this environment, and decided to home school. She came back a couple of weeks ago. She really is a funny little thing, absolutely tiny, with a creepy stare and she speaks like a Victorian street urchin. I can imagine her creeping through people's catflaps at night and gouging their eyes out with her tiny thumbs....

Anyway, once we get past the screams of "I 'ate skoowl. I wanna go 'ome!" she calms down, joins in and seems to love it. But she has told her Mum that big boys have been picking on her and pulling her hair. Now I see her every lunchtime, happy as Larry, bossing much older children around.

This lunchtime, Bill, who is a wonderful kid, but really does have some "issues" was trying to get her to play. As is usual with Bill, he wasn't taking no for an answer, just saying, "But why....? Why....? I just want to show you something!" right in her face. I got him to back off and he went away to bug someone else. Ten minutes later, here comes the little pixie, with three older girls in tow. They come to me and say she's told them a bad boy was hitting her, and they've come to sort it out. She has already identified Bill at this point. Had I not stepped in to question her, "He didn't hit you did he?" shakes head "I was with you the whole time" nods head I think he might have been before the Headmaster. At which point his vehement denials would probably set him off into genuine bad behaviour.

I have warned the other Dinner Ladies.
I will keep an eye on her.
The last thing I would want would be for someone to genuinely hit or hurt her in any way, so I'm doing it for her protection too. But she's physically fearless and I've no doubt would scream merry hell in an instant if anyone touched her.

Anyway, Bill knows to stay away from her. He probably won't. But if I can keep him from being unfairly accused I will. I'll save it for the times when he really has done something worth reporting.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #6611
glatt

It's been like 5 years or so since my last routine medical exam. So I finally got around to doing one this morning. I feel good about getting that out of the way. Even though certain parts of it are unpleasant.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #6612
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

did you sing Moon River?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #6613
glatt

Indeed, I did.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #6614
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's been like 5 years or so since my last routine medical exam. So I finally got around to doing one this morning. I feel good about getting that out of the way. Even though certain parts of it are unpleasant.
I haven't had one for at least 20 years, but I go to the dentist every four months. I think that counts for something.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #6615
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

We got a new dog about two weeks ago. He's a four year old Great Dane named Titan (we're just going to keep the name). Very sweet and gentle dog.

Titan was at about 100 lbs when he was left at the Humane Society. He needs to put on 30+ lbs to be a healthy weight again. He was 105 lbs when we last weighed him.

His previous owners wanted him put down. They thought he was aggressive toward women. We haven't seen him be anything but lovey-dovey with people. We think that maybe he was aggressive toward one particular woman.

Our German Shepherd is still adjusting...

We made an offer on a house last night. They were kind of surprised that we had a 20% down-payment and cash for closing costs socked away. Apparently this is nearly unheard of around here, especially for young couples.

Looking forward to our first non-rental home.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote