The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #61
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It is quite obvious that some people can become the enemy of the state during anarchy or home grown terrorism. There are still a lot of laws they would have to overcome. I really can't see it happening. Not something I loose sleep over or worry about on any level.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:14 AM   #62
NoBoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, you're charged with the defense of the country from foreign powers, the police are charged with the defense of the people from internal threats.
IRRELAVENT.

Just as law enforcement officers qualified to perform military duty (i.e. those in the National Guard or Reserves) can be converted (called up) from civilian police duty against internal threats to active military duty against external threats, so too can active duty military personnel who are qualified in law enforcement procedures be converted to civilian status for law enforcement purposes and it can all be done with the stroke of a pen.

Each branch of service has a regulation covering this action. The Army's regulation is AR 635-200, CHAPTER 5, SEC II. Any service member may be separated from active duty at any time "For the convenience of the government." That literally means for the government's MERE convenience. It's the catch all regulation that allows the military to downsize as necessary without breach of contract with service members. It also allows the government to separate from active duty a company, brigade; or, even a division and transfer it from the Department of Defense to the Department of Homeland Security (rather than the Reserves) for fulfillment of the service members' obligations [the regulation can be applied unilaterally]. Military service members can be transferred to civilian General Schedule (GS) positions in the same pay grades with a comparable chain of authority (vs command) structure.

It was inevitable that as the active duty military went to the Total Force concept, which downsized the active components and emphasized reliance on the Reserves and Guard to be activated during conflict, that the process would be reversed to augment civilian law enforcement during domestic crises. The "John Wayne motherfuckers" who don't like it are inconsequential in capability, numbers, and organization. They will fall by the wayside: that includes you.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #63
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
From here.
I didn't look, but I hope this article is dated at least prior to 2000.:p

This is how you rewrite history. Constantly say that it just happened and you are on top of it. ...I am tired of hearing this crap.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoxes View Post
It was inevitable that as the active duty military went to the Total Force concept, which downsized the active components and emphasized reliance on the Reserves and Guard to be activated during conflict, that the process would be reversed to augment civilian law enforcement during domestic crises. The "John Wayne motherfuckers" who don't like it are inconsequential in capability, numbers, and organization. They will fall by the wayside: that includes you.
Total Force - Crises created and resolved, at will - Citizens, and their Constitutional rights, be damned - We are the government, you will obey - resistance is futile.

Thank you for proving my point.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #65
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The question is who are you going to take your anger out on and blame? Bush or the Congress that approved it?
Congress, which is the source of most of our current ills. Of course. What did you think?

Brian
Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #66
NoBoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Total Force - Crises created and resolved, at will - Citizens, and their Constitutional rights, be damned - We are the government, you will obey - resistance is futile.

Thank you for proving my point.
You're welcome; but really, there's no need to thank me. I was just doing my part to help encourage the elderly to get out and vote. :p
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Congress, which is the source of most of our current ills. Of course. What did you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I was wrong - After rereading it again there is a bunch of legalese in there and it was actually modified in 1981 and as recently as 2006 & 2008 by our current fearless leader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Yeah, well, the Bush administration doesn't believe the act applies to them anyway, so it's not worth the paper it's written on.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #68
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I didn't look, but I hope this article is dated at least prior to 2000.:p

This is how you rewrite history. Constantly say that it just happened and you are on top of it. ...I am tired of hearing this crap.
Hell, all the blacks down in the South are trying to get rid of anything related to the Confederates, no difference. They are trying to re-write history as well. Look at the text books in school, dumbed down politically correct pieces of crap.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #69
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Hell, all the blacks down in the South are trying to get rid of anything related to the Confederates, no difference. They are trying to re-write history as well. Look at the text books in school, dumbed down politically correct pieces of crap.
All the blacks, eh?
I wish we had their unity and sense of purpose.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #70
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Textbooks have almost always been a product of revisionism.

Remember the US history books in Jr Hi? The noble and patriotic white men saved us from the savage and evil native americans. Why, if we hadn't slaughtered them by the hundreds think what they would have done to our lifestyle, our country, our entire raison d'etre!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #71
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post

Remember the US history books in Jr Hi? The noble and patriotic white men saved us from the savage and evil native americans. Why, if we hadn't slaughtered them by the hundreds think what they would have done to our lifestyle, our country, our entire raison d'etre!
A perfect example of why we should not erase our history, good or bad.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #72
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
All the blacks, eh?
I wish we had their unity and sense of purpose.
You crack me up, chica.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #73
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post

Quote:
A perfect example of why we should not erase our history, good or bad.
Well said - by both of you.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, no, no, rewrite everything so the children don't have to shoulder the guilt. Do you want to damage their little psyches? Think of the children.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #75
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Yes. Yes. and yes. I just don't think we need to replicate it on the cellar right?

Hey guys! I have been the hottest woman on the cellar since 1999!!!

Oh wait, when you rewrite history it has to be specious enough to sound almost true...