The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-15-2002, 12:25 PM   #61
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

Quote:
Driving styles will vary, but when it comes to handbrake turns, I have a much easier time with the Stinger
and we have a much easier time with the banshee. case closed.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 02:42 PM   #62
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by jeni

and we have a much easier time with the banshee. case closed.
Well, I'm happy for you, though there's no reason to be snippy about it. I will say that you're the first person I've heard from who thinks the Banshee is easier to powerslide with than the Yakuza Stinger, however.

Just to make sure, I looked up the vehicle stats on GameFAQs. The Banshee and Yakuza Stinger have the exact same mass, resistance to damage, number of gears and maximum speed. (The plain Stinger is slightly lighter and easier to damage, but has identical speed stats.) The Banshee is front-wheel drive and has slightly higher acceleration (about 10%); the Yakuza Stinger is 4-wheel and has better traction and tighter steering.

In a nutshell, in an urban environment (like the Turismo course) with lots of sharp turns, lots of traffic and obstacles and very few straightaways, I'll take better handling over better acceleration any day. If you can keep the back end of the Banshee from skidding during full-speed powerslides, more power to you.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:04 PM   #63
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i wasn't being snippy about it at all. it's a difference of opinions, big deal. that's the point. case closed because there's no use arguing about which is better; you think the stinger is, and i think the banshee is. neither of us would ever win an argument, hence "case closed."
Old 04-15-2002, 11:08 PM   #64
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

Quote:
I'll take better handling over better acceleration any day.
but...during quite a few timed missions, it is important to be quick. if i can handle the banshee perfectly well while driving it quickly, it's a better car for me. you know the mission where king courtney makes you go from one payphone to the next? would have been damned near impossible for us without the banshee. infact, we only beat that mission with about 2 seconds to spare. of course better planning on a map or something would have helped the case, but it gets to be a pain to try missions 3 times before you can actually complete them.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:24 AM   #65
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by jeni

but...during quite a few timed missions, it is important to be quick. if i can handle the banshee perfectly well while driving it quickly, it's a better car for me. you know the mission where king courtney makes you go from one payphone to the next? would have been damned near impossible for us without the banshee. infact, we only beat that mission with about 2 seconds to spare. of course better planning on a map or something would have helped the case, but it gets to be a pain to try missions 3 times before you can actually complete them.
I can't argue with the "for me" logic -- we all have our quirks.

I think you're thinking of Payday For Ray as the phone-checkpoint mission (Courtney doesn't have one like that), and yeah, that one does require a moderately fast car. On the other hand, I've been through the game three times now; I finished that mission once in a Yakuza Stinger, once in a Cheetah and once in a Borgnine Taxi, the latter of which has a slightly lower top speed AND acceleration. It's all about knowing the mission -- if you don't know the route, you could be driving a Wile E. Coyote Rocket Car and have major problems. Nobody should be finishing that mission on the first try, unless they're clairvoyant.

Case in point -- the first time I faced Big & Veiny (the last El Burro mission), I must have tried it three dozen times before I finally cleared it. I continued through the game, started over, and by the time I reached it the second time, my driving had improved to the point where I finished it on the first attempt with five seconds to spare.

The reason I went to the stats to support my argument is that it's not as if the Banshee's the _only_ car that's quick. The Stingers, Mafia Sentinel, and Police Car are precisely as fast at top speed as the Banshee is, and the Infernus and Cheetah are faster; the Cheetah, Stingers and Police Car are in the Banshee's class for acceleration, and the BF Injection is faster. That doesn't mean I'd recommend the Police Car or Mafia Sentinel for checkpoint missions, because they steer like a cow; there are a lot of other variables involved.

Anyway, we're drifting from the point a bit. I still say that the Yakuza Stinger is _much_ more approachable for a novice, with the way it hugs the road -- hence I recommended it to a newcomer, instead of telling him to spend the hours necessary to master the Banshee. The Cheetah has all of the advantages of the Banshee and a higher top speed -- have you tried that?
Old 04-17-2002, 09:40 AM   #66
dave

I've tried the Cheetah. I like it a lot, and Paul's brother Jonathan was impressed with my Cheetah skills. But I've been practicing the Banshee a whole lot.

More after I get to work. :P
Old 04-17-2002, 02:04 PM   #67
dave

Well, when I was in Aptos, I played some serious GTA. And I saved about 4000 games. I need to go delete the old ones.

I've decided that I'm going to start the game over and try to make a "perfect" run. Save after anything important happens. No busts. No failed missions. This is with saves, of course. After I get that done and have some serious practice in on the game, I'll try to make an actual perfect run - even without saves, no deaths or busts or anything. Can it be done? I hope so

I just had a really cool idea for a jump. On the third part of the city, do the insane jump over the twisted broken bridge with Banshee. Right as you get to it, fishtail it. Maybe get a lot of twists?

Anyway... I like that game. A lot.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:10 PM   #68
dave

Man. "Bomb Da Base: Act II" is giving me fits. Paul passed it for me when I was in Aptos. I just can't snipe those fuckers that quick. Any tips? Which guy to start on?
Old 04-20-2002, 01:05 PM   #69
dave

Nevermind that. I got it after leaving the game alone for like 30 minutes and then coming back to it. Anyway.

Right now I'm trying to deliver an emergency vehicle (ambulance) to the crane in the north-east end of Portland Harbor. I can't find it (any crane). We are talking about the docks where I waxed Curly Bob and blew up the boat, right? Any tips?
Old 04-20-2002, 01:10 PM   #70
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Bomb Da Base is much easier if you get the Adrenaline pill near the entrance to the docks. Sniping in slow-motion is almost unfair.

The emergency vehicle crane isn't too obvious. It's not far away from the garage where you deliver the 16 vehicles in the Portland Docks (and, no, you can't get the Dodo before Shoreside Vale). Look for a shaded rectangle on the ground in an open area near the boat; park an Ambulance or other emergency vehicle in that area, and if you hear the crane start to hum, get out quick.

Seven different emergency vehicles there (Ambulance, Police Car, Enforcer, Fire Truck, Barracks XL, FBI Car and Tank) will earn you... well, that would be telling, wouldn't it?
Old 04-21-2002, 03:03 AM   #71
dave

Thanks Homey. You da man.

I know all about the Dodo. I was trying to fly that bish when I was in CA. I've decided that once I get to Shoreside, I'm going to fork into 2 saves - one of which will be dedicated to flying the Dodo and the other which will be dedicated to beating the game
Old 04-21-2002, 11:20 AM   #72
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

There is a way to fly the Dodo, but it's a pain in the ass and not really practical. I'll type it up for you if you want.
By the way, thanks for helping me burn that one cd when you were here. I was struggling with that fucking mp3 for days.
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #73
dave

I'm sure there are guides on how to do it online. I just want to do it Don't bother typing anything up. If I can't figure it out and can't find anything online, then I'll bug you

NP about the CD.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:57 PM   #74
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

Well, okay. If you ever do want to find help for it online, head on over to Gamefaqs.
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 02:09 PM   #75
dave

Okay. I've now beaten <b>Payday for Ray</b>, the driving to phones mission, about 6 times. My best time was with about 50 seconds left. My worst was with 2. I've played it about 10 times.

I kept re-beating it because I kept accidentally stepping into Ray's mission after coming out and I didn't want to have a failed mission attempt with cops on my ass and everything. After trying that mission the first two times, it became apparent to me that I need a fast and durable car for it - probably a police car. At that point, my Yakuza Stinger had been wrecked and I had a fucking Blista. So I kept failing that mission and it was pissing me off.

Payday for Ray is a lot easier if you know the shortest routes. I've got them memorized now, and I'll write out my guide for it if anyone is interested. The mission was really pissing me off until I figured them out Then it really pissed me off by sticking me in another mission. Argh!

Anyway, now that that's done, I'll go do some more Kenji missions. The last one I did of his was <b>Grand Theft Auto</b> so I'm sure there are quite a few more. Wahoo.