The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #61
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Urbane - I am trying to do it without the user of match light or lighter fluid. I keep reading that it leaves an aftertaste on lighter flavored meats like chicken which is what I primarily eat. No worries, I haven't given up yet.
It doesn't, at least not that I can tell. The starter is burned off when there are no more flames flickering, just a charcoal glow. Just give it its time.

Starter also works on lump charcoal, which has that nice purity you're after -- just carbonized wood, no extras. Smoking up your meat with mesquite or hickory chips is nice too. Some will dampen the chips before using them, but burning them dry works every bit as well. Since these are tossed onto the coals, just a handful or two, for the sake of their smoke, expect dense smoke to blow all over the place, and for rather a while, too. Throttling the vents keeps the smoke on the meat longer.

The chimney starter, fired with wadded paper, a few lumps of charcoal, and maybe small kindling wood also, has its fans. Never tried it myself, but it's another approach to heating the charcoal long enough and hot enough to get it good and well lit.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #62
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Finally had a successful cook out 2 fridays ago. Cooked the classic hot dogs and hamburgers. The coals actually started a lot better when using cardboard because it seemed to burn shower than the paper. Will try that next. I have some chirizo I want to grill, but need to find something else to cook at the same time. I think I am getting it!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #63
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I used my chimney starter this weekend, and it worked OK with the methods Zip mentioned. It really was not that much faster than using lighter fluid though.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #64
Pie
Gone and done

Prolly smelled better, though!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #65
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I used my chimney starter this weekend, and it worked OK with the methods Zip mentioned. It really was not that much faster than using lighter fluid though.
One of my friends recommended a chimney starter for me but I'm assuming my method of lighting the grill is similar and will take the same amount of time. I just put three to five crumpled up pieces of newspaper under the coal rack, spray the coals with lighter fluid, light the newspaper, then spray on more lighter fluid if needed (from a safe distance). The combined effect usually successfully lights the coals one a single try depending on which type of coals are used.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #66
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I didn't notice a difference in smell or taste... I agree with UG, if all the coals are ashed up, you know the fluid is long gone.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #67
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I thought not using the fluid was the whole point of using the chimney. I never add fluid. Just the newspaper in the bottom.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #68
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I only use the chimney starter for smoking, where you need it for firing off the Minion method.

For grilling, I use lighter fluid. Both methods take 20-30 minutes for me.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #69
busterb
NSABFD

Most of the cheaper grills, big box, if you build the fire in grill you cut th grill life short. IMHO. Best starter I ever had was an old hub-cap with a few holes drilled in it. Pile the charcoal on, lighter fluid and go had a beer.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #70
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Will start cooking pig at lodge at 1200 hrs. Pics pending. I can hardly wait!
And I decided to use bacon for my green bean seasoning. After all... we have a reputation to protect.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #71
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

OK... Here's the BBQ pit at the Lodge.....
Name:  moose bbq 004.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  92.1 KB
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #72
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

The coal barrel....load wood in top and shovel coals out of door on bottom. Oak wood, of course.Name:  moose bbq 003.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  103.8 KB
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #73
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

The pig just after putting it on.....
Name:  moose bbq 011.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #74
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

A little later with some sausage to "hold us over".....and we are slow cooking some baked beans in the pit also.
Name:  moose bbq 012.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #75
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

And six hours and 15 scotches later, VIOLA!

Rear view:
Name:  moose bbq 014.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  84.0 KB
Front:
Name:  moose bbq 015.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  86.3 KB