The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Should certain jobs require a person to meet specific IQ requirements?
Yes, good idea. 13 48.15%
No, it's not fair. 12 44.44%
Undecided. 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #61
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
maybe i didnt understand what you meant by honest.
If I answer the questions with what I really think and feel (remember I have unusual ideas about eating and other things based on being raised on a farm and intimate knowledge about how humans think having studied human thought processes though an advanced degree in acting... I don't go through the same steps as most to reach an end as many) insead of what I know the tests are geared to see as "intelligent".
Some of the simpler questions like "how does one get eggs" for me can be "go into the back yard", I know that will skew the score low, so I change the answer.
I also answer questions very intellectually because I take certain steps logically that most take emotion into account... that is not a sign of intelligence. It has to do with abuse, rape and other things that have happened to me. The test "sees" this as intelligence, it is not, not by a long shot.
I have learned tricks to overcome my dyslexia, I am still just as dyslexic and have just as many problems with numbers and spelling as others and with practical application have a hard time and have to study much more than most, but can test my ass off. Again, not intelligence, I just know how to play the game.
This is why the Mensa meetings disgusted me so much, people who think a skill-set made them something/someone special are pathetic little animals.
I have known people with almost no education, who had very few social skills, some who were mentally disabled in some areas... but had TRUE wisdom that I, to this day, work toward and try to emulate... that I envy.
Again, those tests are a game, set up by people with little egos who want to separate people who are like them so they can say "see, I am better than others" and they are for NOTHING else and serve NO OTHER purpose.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #62
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
and intimate knowledge about how humans think having studied human thought processes though an advanced degree in acting...
so....you're like Ginger on Gilligan's Island? Having acted the role of genius, you are now a genius too? or did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

nigga please
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #63
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

I realize I am going to walk right into the fire here, but my stomach hurts from laughing so hard, and I can't resist any longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I never... bragged about how educated I am once.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #64
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

just for perspective's sake, of course. link to more info
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #65
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There is no IQ test that asks a question like "how does one get eggs"

There is no IQ test that you can "game" by figuring out what the test is looking for other than correct answers.

Here are some sample IQ test questions that are pretty representative of the several actual psychologist-proctored tests I've taken.

http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php

http://www.iqtestforfree.com/

A sample question would be
Quote:
The same three-letter word can be placed in front of the following words to make a new word:

LIGHT BREAK TIME
You can't game a question like that. You can only be right or wrong.

Inaccurately describing a gamey sort of test as an "IQ test" is a particularly ironic form of failure, and we all hope you take it in good humor. That's why I can't help but post the fail kitty.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #66
rkzenrage

Cite.

The egg example was and example of a situational question.
Shame someone could not figure that out, and the IQ tests for younger people do use practical situations to test responses.
I really could care less if you believe what my test scores have been... as I have stated numerous times they are fake to begin with, so I do not feel they are an accurate representation of my intelligence.
It is very telling how much so many of you are focusing on that one thing.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #67
Cloud

awwwwww, poor kitty!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #68
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Cite.
What in the world are you asking him to cite? He did cite evidence of typical IQ test questions.

Incidentally, I had an IQ test administered to me around the age of 6, because my neighbor was a child psych major and needed someone to practice on for a class assignment. There were no situational questions. There were "make this shape" tangrams, and "define this made up word" to see if you understood the suffixes of parts of speech yet...

On the other hand, I also took a test to see if I would be allowed into school early, and it did have situational questions. One was, "What do you need to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?", and my mother was pissed because they said my answer of "a plate and two knives" was wrong ("bread, peanut butter, and jelly" was correct.) But that was't an IQ test. It was just a test made by the school to determine if I was ready for kindergarten. That test also required me to try to catch a ball that was thrown towards me (which, incidentally, I failed to do.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #69
rkzenrage

That he states that I brag about my education.
I quoted it but the internal quote did not show-up.
I have stated my education, never as a brag. If someone chose to take a statement a certain way, that is on them.

Quote:
I never... bragged about how educated I am once.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Cite.
Wikipedia on IQ
Quote:
A typical IQ test requires the test subject to solve a fair number of problems in a set time under supervision. Most IQ tests include items from various domains, such as short-term memory, verbal knowledge, spatial visualization, and perceptual speed. Some tests have a total time limit, others have a time limit for each group of problems, and there are a few untimed, unsupervised tests, typically geared to measuring high intelligence. The most widely used standardized test for determining IQ is the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale).
Wikipedia lists the WAIS subtests:

Verbal Subtests

Information
Degree of general information acquired from culture (e.g. Who is the president of Russia?)
Comprehension Ability to deal with abstract social conventions, rules and expressions (e.g. What does "Kill 2 birds with 1 stone" metaphorically mean?)
Arithmetic Concentration while manipulating mental mathematical problems (e.g. How many 45c. stamps can you buy for a dollar?)
Similarities Abstract verbal reasoning (e.g. In what way are an apple and a pear alike?)
Vocabulary The degree to which one has learned, been able to comprehend and verbally express vocabulary (e.g. What is a guitar?)
Digit span attention/concentration (e.g. Digits forward: 123, Digits backward 321.)
Letter-Number Sequencing attention and working memory (e.g. Given Q1B3J2, place the numbers in numerical order and then the letters in alphabetical order)

Performance Subtests

Picture Completion Ability to quickly perceive visual details
Digit Symbol - Coding Visual-motor coordination, motor and mental speed
Block Design Spatial perception, visual abstract processing & problem solving
Matrix Reasoning Nonverbal abstract problem solving, inductive reasoning, spatial reasoning
Picture Arrangement Logical/sequential reasoning, social insight
Symbol Search Visual perception, speed
Object Assembly Visual analysis, synthesis, and construction

Optional post-tests include Digit Symbol - Incidental Learning and Digit Symbol - Free Recall.
Quote:
The egg example was and example of a situational question.
Real IQ tests are not situational or subjective.

Quote:
...and the IQ tests for younger people do use practical situations to test responses.
Did you... did you game a child's test, Rob?

It certainly wasn't the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence

Quote:
I really could care less if you believe what my test scores have been... as I have stated numerous times they are fake to begin with, so I do not feel they are an accurate representation of my intelligence.

It is very telling how much so many of you are focusing on that one thing.
Hey I could give a shit about your actual score. You'll notice I haven't posted any of mine.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #71
Weird Harold
Vice-President of Resentment

I haven't voted, or posted, except, I'm posting now. Fortunately there are no IQ tests for installing carpet, Surprise!! Any way I just wanted to ask what the answer is, to the three letters that change the word.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #72
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Day.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #73
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

tea

But that only works if you're a Brit
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #74
rkzenrage

Quote:
Hey I could give a shit about your actual score. You'll notice I haven't posted any of mine.
Nor do I, the tests I have been given from MENSA, at schools and college, form psychiatrists and psychologists all seemed different... of course they all happened pretty far apart.
The reason I gave a score, was to illustrate how ridiculous the tests are in my opinion.
What I find to be very funny is that people focused on the number, even though I was saying that I feel it is wrong.
Again, people should not compare themselves to others, especially when it comes to something as fake as an IQ test.
What is really telling is that the scoring systems were different for every test, so the number may not mean what some think it does.
Though I have been tested at, or above, genius, consistantly... and AGAIN state that I am NOT a genius, I just test that way. The tests are a joke.
Yes, I gamed a child's test, kids are not stupid they know what people want to hear and tell it to them consistently. I was called out for it more than once.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
tea
But that only works if you're a Brit
Tealight?