The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yes, and that's why I ended up with... uh... um...

aw crap
Without excess family, or rampant home handy man urges,
it was a good choice for you.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #62
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It cracks me up when people want to bitch and whine about a difference of 5 miles per gallon between vehicles. When we start to look at the amount of energy used by 18 wheelers and gas/oil powered factories the amount of gas used by an SUV is a drop in the bucket. If I can afford to buy the gas at $5 a gallon and want to drive an H2 that is my business. Many parts of the Hummers use recycled parts. But the Hummer is not really the issue. It is all these supposed liberally minded anti-government people turning around and telling others what they can and cannont spend their money on all the while bitching about government interference in their lives...

The other great thing is watching someone who drives a 20 year old car that leaks oil all over the road and burn gas much less efficiently than any new engine flipping off someone in a truck that is 5 times the weight of their little car. That's a brain surgeon right their, not.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #63
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Mount Evans?
Yes, exactly. 14,264 feet (but you have to walk those last few feet).

Have you been there?

Quote:
You'll be eating those words when the giant slug invasion starts.
That depends. I might rather eat the slugs. Giant slugs. I'm sure we have a recipe, at home or in the Cellar.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #64
TheMercenary

Mount Evans is beautiful. Been there a few times. Use to live in Aurora when I was stationed at Fitz in the late 1980's. Use to love that drive because it was easy to see the heards of mountain goats/sheep that lived up on the top.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #65
HungLikeJesus

Yes, and the whistle pigs, too. I have lots of pictures of the goats, as we usually go up whenever we have visitors in town in the summer. We can almost see Mt. Evans from the house.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #66
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
Yes, exactly. 14,264 feet (but you have to walk those last few feet).

Have you been there?
No, Pike's a couple times but not Evans.
Quote:

That depends. I might rather eat the slugs. Giant slugs. I'm sure we have a recipe, at home or in the Cellar.
Don't be silly, you don't eat giant slugs.... giant slugs eat you.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #67
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
A point to rkzenrage.
Sure. I acknowleged the .gov figures are dubious. The only bitches I have with rage on this is that he thinks he's paying his own way and he's whinning about the price of gas.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 AM   #68
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

we did our bit for the environment and downsized, giving up our larger car for a smaller 4 cylinder. We don't even pay for fuel or the car. It's part of hubby's salary package.

We just felt it was one thing we could do to help. It means we need to buy a trailer for the times we need to carry more stuff, but for general day to day living, we don't need a big car.

I don't like all the big cars on the road. They shit me to tears because more than half the people driving them don't know what the fuck they're doing and they are a hazard to other drivers, aside from the fact that they're wasting resources.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #69
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
What a load of crap. When people flipped me off in my H2 I just ran em off the road. Idiots.
Good job reinforcing the negative stereotype, there.

Quote:
But the Hummer is not really the issue. It is all these supposed liberally minded anti-government people turning around and telling others what they can and cannont spend their money on all the while bitching about government interference in their lives...
You are right: the H2 really isn't the issue, here, although I have no idea what anti-government liberals have to do with it, either. (?) Gas guzzling SUVs are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall excessive American lifestyle and the refusal to live efficiently -- high gas prices are going to bite people in many more aspects besides their commute. The vehicle is the most easily noted example in people's lives and the easiest to see a direct connection. Environmental issues aside, a switch for many would be good. Even in this most obvious aspect, people aren't doing it despite the tax on their bank account and the stubbornness bewilders the rest of us.

I'm really interested as to why so many people, especially the complainers, are so resistant to switching. I have a whole crew of people at my office that exclusively drive pickup trucks and will not consider switching to a small vehicle. They:

...are not contractors or construction workers.
...do not regularly haul equipment or supplies.
...do not haul a trailer.
...are most often the only thing the truck is hauling.

Despite all of these points, each of them notes they have no plans to drive anything other than a pickup now or in the future. The high cost of gasoline has been enough to push several of them into financial difficulty because of long commutes to the point that one has been lamenting that he might "actually have to switch to a closer church" rather than the one he prefers. Do people think the soaring cost of fuel is temporary? Are all of these deluded drivers waiting for the impossible day the government does something to reduce the price of gas?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #70
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Good job reinforcing the negative stereotype, there.

You are right: the H2 really isn't the issue, here, although I have no idea what anti-government liberals have to do with it, either. (?) Gas guzzling SUVs are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall excessive American lifestyle and the refusal to live efficiently -- high gas prices are going to bite people in many more aspects besides their commute. The vehicle is the most easily noted example in people's lives and the easiest to see a direct connection. Environmental issues aside, a switch for many would be good. Even in this most obvious aspect, people aren't doing it despite the tax on their bank account and the stubbornness bewilders the rest of us.

I'm really interested as to why so many people, especially the complainers, are so resistant to switching. I have a whole crew of people at my office that exclusively drive pickup trucks and will not consider switching to a small vehicle. They:

...are not contractors or construction workers.
...do not regularly haul equipment or supplies.
...do not haul a trailer.
...are most often the only thing the truck is hauling.

Despite all of these points, each of them notes they have no plans to drive anything other than a pickup now or in the future. The high cost of gasoline has been enough to push several of them into financial difficulty because of long commutes to the point that one has been lamenting that he might "actually have to switch to a closer church" rather than the one he prefers. Do people think the soaring cost of fuel is temporary? Are all of these deluded drivers waiting for the impossible day the government does something to reduce the price of gas?
The "stereotype" goes both ways. The one giving the finger is making assumptions (big assumptions) about the said driver of the Hummer by flipping the finger. The said driver feels the idiot should be driven off the road for flipping the finger and making assumptions.

We got rid of our H2 after 2 years more for practical reasons than because we did not like the truck. I have driven a PU since 1998 and will never be without one. I need it mostly to pull a boat and trailer with a combined weight of nearly #5000. There really is no incentive to drive anything else. They are comfortable and useful for numerous things. I have a Crew Cab so it can take my whole family or kids and friends or me and the wife or just me when I drive to and from work. We are not deluded drivers (another assumption). The price of gas is painful but an extra $20 or $30 a week is really not that much for me so I am not about to trade in the truck I love to drive because of a increase in gas by $1 per gallon. When it gets to $8 or $10 I may re-consider, but maybe not. If someone is stretching the cash flow to put food on the table because a small increase in gas I would suggest they have a priority problem.

I am thinking about trading in for a new truck now but may wait as in 08 they are coming out (finally) with some F-150's with diesel engines, or I may just go with the full sized Toyota.

I am not contractors or construction workers.
I do not not regularly haul equipment or supplies.
I do haul a trailer a few times each month.
Most often the only thing the truck is hauling is me.
It all comes back to my original point, how is it that a fairly liberal minded mass of people want to bitch and moan about everything government and how their liberties are being effected then turn right around and tell me what I can or cannot buy and spend my money on in a truck I choose to drive?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #71
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
It all comes back to my original point, how is it that a fairly liberal minded mass of people want to bitch and moan about everything government and how their liberties are being effected then turn right around and tell me what I can or cannot buy and spend my money on in a truck I choose to drive?
I've not heard of much push for legislation banning certain vehicles other than for safety reasons. Even the notion that the national speed limit of fifty-five miles per hour should return to save gasoline isn't uttered on the house floor without return of death threats. We're going to see more push for government involvement to get oil profits questioned (again, yawn) and suggested increases in government subsidizing of consumer gasoline. Hopefully, none of this will happen and the market will be left to continue its march upward in price.

People can drive whatever they want, I could care less, and I'd like to see less attitude from both sides of the SUV/anti-SUV crowd, especially regarding actions that would endanger lives on the road. I have no sympathy for fools that buy vehicles they can afford now but make no allowment for gasoline price increases in the future. Their mistakes are their own.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #72
HungLikeJesus

In Colorado we've been in a drought for several years (this seems to be a common theme around the world), and water restrictions are very common - when you can water your lawn, how much water, etc. Some houses in my area aren't permitted to use water outside of their houses for any reason, not even for their horses or to wash their car.

One homeowner who was interviewed by the local paper said, "I'm paying for it, so I should be able to use all the water I want."

This is similar to the gasoline/oil debate. If there is a limited resource that everyone is depending on, are you entitled to use a disproportionately large share just because you can afford it?

To me, this is what it all comes down to.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #73
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

We have a small SUV (Isuzu rodeo), and I kind of hate it. Daniel got it when he was living in Tennessee and driving three hours through the Blue Ridge mountains to visit his family almost every weekend, and frequently using it to ferry around his huge family and/or their stuff. That makes sense to me. Now that we live in the suburbs, it spends a lot of time collecting dust while we take the metro everywhere because it's cheaper than gas and parking. We've already decided that our next car is going to be a hybrid, since our current lifestyle pretty much requires stop-and-go city driving and not much else.

I don't like the idea of judging people based on their purchases and lifestyle choices, since everyone has different needs and situations. I have to admit that huge SUVs annoy me, though, because there are so many of them here that a lot of the time, when you park a regular-sized car like my parents' Camry or even the Rodeo in a garage or lot, two Escalades or H2s will park on either side of you so you have no visibility when you back out of the space. Grrr! :p
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #74
rkzenrage

Quote:
In Colorado we've been in a drought for several years (this seems to be a common theme around the world), and water restrictions are very common - when you can water your lawn, how much water, etc. Some houses in my area aren't permitted to use water outside of their houses for any reason, not even for their horses or to wash their car.

One homeowner who was interviewed by the local paper said, "I'm paying for it, so I should be able to use all the water I want."

This is similar to the gasoline/oil debate. If there is a limited resource that everyone is depending on, are you entitled to use a disproportionately large share just because you can afford it?

Busybody.
You have no idea why people own the vehicles they do... you just want to tell people what to do.
You live in the wrong kind of nation... must suck to hate freedom and live where it is protected.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #75
TheMercenary

Quote:

Tell ya what. When the govenment starts to ration gas because of a shortage and issue some kind of quota on how much you can use then it might be an issue. Till then gas is not being rationed as water is in time of a drought. You cannot really think that water as a finite resource is comparable to gasoline.