Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #61
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Pretty much any republickin platform. Not unique to Bush or McCain.
Yeah, that's why I'm a democrat.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #62
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Pretty much any republickin platform. Not unique to Bush or McCain.
Then I stand corrected: all republickins are alike. :p

Awesome on the button, Nirvana! If that takes off, like "shit happens" or the smiley face thing...I want full credit and financial compensation!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #63
FStop
Stretching the Veil

Okay, my two cents.

On one hand, we've got a black guy with a white guy as his No. 2......

On the other, a white guy with a white girl as his No. 2......

Either way, history is gonna be made. Either way, a black guy or a white girl is going to be having a hell of a lot of fun here in a few months in places where they haven't in hundreds of years. In my opinion, I don't really care, just as long as Dubya gets the hell out. Is that enough of a reason?
I'm not registered at all, as anything, and I've been pondering which side to take, but with these current developments, I'm about to go to the polls in November and write in Mickey Mouse. Or Undertoad. Or HLJ. Why not.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #64
Shawnee123

Speaking of history, a little side thought: Black men were allowed to vote before any women were; it's only fitting a black man can be president first.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #65
lookout123
changed his status to single

well, lord knows we should make sure we're taking turns with the white house. it's the fair thing, right?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #66
Shawnee123

I think fair would be the best person for the job. When did that happen last, again?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #67
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I think fair would be the best person for the job. When did that happen last, again?
Never.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #68
lookout123

probably the last time... oh wait, never. we don't let the best people for the job anywhere near the race for the job.

or more likely they choose not to run while they sit at their desk making millions thinking, "President? Eff that. It's none of your business who I screwed, what I smoked, how much money I make, or when I think life begins - I ain't runnin'."
Old 08-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #69
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

OR how many houses I have!

I, myself, forget how many I have, too.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #70
lookout123

He did answer that question Bri. His family has three homes they use. They have a number of real estate investments, some of which are condos. why is that a problem?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #71
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

coz when first asked, he said he'd have to check...he didn't answer before he had to "check"-----now. Do YOU have to check to see how many houses you have? My dad has many----but he KNOWS how many and where the hell they are, too. 'Course, my dad's only 80, so...

anyway, I KNOW you're a republican, lookout. I know you love your country; I do, too. I DID like McCain at the beginning...but now, he's seeming kind of out of touch with the rest of us. And, I'm your worst nightmare, Lookout. I wanted Hillary in the House! You can see we will never agree here, but I still love you!

—James Barrie

Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #72
lookout123

Bri, I am not a republican. I'm fiscally conservative which isn't very republican friendly these days. Socially my liberal/conservative rankings move based on the issues. and here's the thing - i DIDN'T like John McCain. I'm still not a big fan. I believe there are better choices, unfortunately I don't believe any of them are in the race at this point so I am tentatively supporting McCain.

I don't like Hilary for a number of reasons but I would have preferred her to Obama.

I don't like Obama because it was obvious when he spoke at the convention in '04 that the newbie was being groomed for a run. He is a fantastic speaker when on the teleprompter, but he gets away with not saying much. Those are the nitpicky things I don't like. beyond that I don't like his ideas on healthcare, taxes, or foreign policy. but that's just me - i only get one vote, just like you.

my point on the McCain thing was - big friggin deal, the guy didn't know how many pieces of property he owns. He's rich. Really freaking rich and they're just investments to him and his family. There are better things to critique a candidate on than the soundbyte issues.

That was my point four years ago and it will be my point in four more years. Look at the issues and don't get sidetracked by the easy cheesy media blurbs. (D's = McCain's houses, R's = Obama's religion)

*and no I don't have to check before answering - I only own two houses and I worry about those every day. They make up a very very large part of my net worth. The very wealthy don't worry about individual investment holdings on a daily basis.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #73
Shawnee123

You speak wise words, lookout.

We don't agree on some things, but I like what you said up there.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #74
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Sorry, Lookout, for assuming you were a Republican. My bad. I guess I automatically think "republican" when I think "fiscally conservative", but that's family history stuff, so, no worries.

and, i was just trying to "be cute," as they say. His richness doesn't really bother me, hell, Cindy's the one with the dough. And as for "elitist", like Jon Stewart, I say, "hell YES I want somebody better than me to lead the country!" so elitism doesn't bother me overmuch. I want my prez to be educated in the finest schools, not embarrass our country whilst overseas, know things I've never even thought of...all that stuff. I just am on a McCain dump as I don't like his choice of running mate and I truly DO think he's out of touch.

—James Barrie

Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #75
Shawnee123

I also agree that I want someone running the country who is better than ME! I also believe that the leader of the free world should be a good speaker, and that good speaking is a good barometer (but not always) of intelligence.

McCain is not horrible in those aspects, that's for sure. I just don't see him speaking for "me" whereas Obama is more along the line of my sensibilities.

I'll say it loud and clear in front of the Cellar and FSM and everyone: I WANTED HILLARY!

Let the flames begin.