Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #61
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
You tube is loaded with clips from this bigot.Some are from the major networks, some are not. Nonetheless, right after 9/11 this screwball was blaming America for everything from Hiroshima to AIDS.
See for yourself.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l9HUdF9OZa8
Who cares? Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson did the same thing. Does that mean all Baptists agree with them?

Let me say this as clearly as I can...

NOTHING REVEREND WRIGHT SAYS HAS ANY CONNECTION WHATSOEVER TO THE POLITICAL VIEWS OF BARACK OBAMA!!!

Anyone who says different is a moron.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #62
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

It must be true. It's in bold type!

Well then slap my ass and call me a moron.

Off to the Church Of The Honky. This week's sermon is "Mudder Effin' Black People Done Takin Over Our Fine Country." It's OK though, I don't really agree with it. See ya later.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #63
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

It's true and the truth is highlighted in bold. Have fun at church. Unlike retarded people, I won't assume your political opinions are influenced by the religious sermons being delivered to you.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #64
Shawnee123

You're right, they are completely separate. I keep all my emotions, feelings, desires, needs, viewpoints, and opinions very seriously compartmentalized. None of those intangibles are even slightly related to any of the other intangibles.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #65
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'm glad to hear that. I don't keep everything separate, but I certainly keep my religious views and my political views separate as they are completely unrelated and both are better when they aren't mixed.

Luckily our founders knew that and so did Jesus of Nazareth.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #66
Shawnee123

Well, we have your assurance that you are able to keep those things completely separate. Unfortunately, not everyone is you.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #67
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

True, but more people are like me than like those who think the Obama can be faulted for the political opinions of his pastor.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #68
Shawnee123

Cite?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #69
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
All we see are short clips taken from long sermons over a long period of time. Until someone can tell me what happens during the other 99.9% of the service, I will reserve my full judgment about the Reverend.
This clip shows the context of the angry "America's chickens are coming home to roost" statement:

It's ten minutes and you don't have to watch the whole thing.

But if you do, it'll become very clear that the Rev's statements were edited for maximum impact. And by the end of it, you may even think he's a decent man, as the bulk of the sermon is not ranting about America, but using the events of 9/11 to encourage people to build their personal relationship with their God.

So, PW45, the tapes are for sale? A whisper goes around (a few months ago - I heard it) that even Obama thinks his pastor may be a minor issue for him. So, somebody highly motivated buys all the tapes, and picks out the very worst 30 seconds of sound bites in them. They compile it into a video, and they give that video to Fox News. It's already the length and format they need to make it a 60-second news item during they day, and perfect for the nightly pundits to bite on at will.

It takes a lot of time, planning, and expertise to put together something like that. The videos they are culling from are hours long. It involves video know-how and a certain amount of money committed to the technologies involved. Fox could have done it, but they would have claimed to have done so no matter who did the original footwork. And you have to wonder how highly motivated a Fox writer or reporter is going to be, to go through hours of tapes, made over years. It would probably take a week to do. Those people have actual deadlines to worry about!

It could have been a 527 advocacy group, could have been Hillary, could have been McCain. The timing is only right for Hillary though. It happens in a series of attacks her side has engineered since she fired her previous campaign manager and went on the attack. (In a sort of a shotgun fashion: get a wide enough blast pattern and something is going to hit.) Half of the attacks are direct and traceable; others, such as giving a pic of Obama wearing a weirdly ethnic garment to Drudge, are untraceable but fit the pattern of a campaign on the ropes, using everything they have.

Peter Pumpkinhead put to shame
Governments who would slur his name
Plots and sex scandals failed outright
Peter merely said
"Any kind of love is alright!"

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #70
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Thanks UT. In the last 20 years, I've been into church exactly twice and both were for funerals. I didn't see any hatred being spread in that sermon. You've helped prove that once again, we've got chickenshit people using chickenshit tactics and taking cheap shots at Obama when he hasn't said or done anything remotely resembling what they accuse him of. This includes mentioning his minister, showing him without his hand on his heart during "America the Beautiful" and claiming it was during a pledge, repeatedly mentioning his middle name, comparing is last name to Osama, showing him in robes while visiting Africa, etc.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #71
freshnesschronic
Professor

Yeah Radar. Agreed, his reverend does not have anything remotely to do with Obama's politicking. And those chickenshit tactics are just to belittle a very decent, quality man. Skewing videos and thinking he's a Muslim extremist because of his name (which he had no control of and no relevance when he was born) is bullshit.

Shit, I'd wear robes if I were visiting Africa, out of deep respect to the culture.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #72
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I have seen a few exaggerations and even lies told by the Reverend, but nothing he has done is anything different than what Bill O'Reilly has, just that it is coming from another angle.

Why the hypocriticalness? Can we as a nation not accept a different point of views?
What a load of crap for a statement. You don't see the double standard there? O'Reilly is a commentator, not a preacher.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #73
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
It could have been a 527 advocacy group, could have been Hillary, could have been McCain. The timing is only right for Hillary though. It happens in a series of attacks her side has engineered since she fired her previous campaign manager and went on the attack. (In a sort of a shotgun fashion: get a wide enough blast pattern and something is going to hit.) Half of the attacks are direct and traceable; others, such as giving a pic of Obama wearing a weirdly ethnic garment to Drudge, are untraceable but fit the pattern of a campaign on the ropes, using everything they have.
I agree completely.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #74
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
What a load of crap for a statement. You don't see the double standard there? O'Reilly is a commentator, not a preacher.
They both preach. One just uses 'God' as a justification, one uses truth and news.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #75
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Don't ever use the word "truth" in connection to anything Bill O'Reilly says. He's a liar, an asshole, and an idiot just like Lou Dobbs.