The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #61
warch
lurkin old school

We have much to learn at the feet of clear-blooded Rich.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Rich2741 posting on Reagan's funeral at the site Syc mentioned. I read this last night but was waiting to see how he comported himself, before mentioning it. BTW, my family got here in 1628.
Quote:
Although I was pleased to see the crowds to honor President Reagan along the procession route, I have to admit I was shocked and highly disappointed to see almost everyone in 'casual' clothing; as though they were going to a St. Patrick's Day parade. All these people knew a few days ahead of time this was happening; there is no excuse.
Quote:
Sorry Steve, but I have very strong feeling about paying respect to the honorable and following proper etiquette. Breeding, refinement of manner, delicacy of feeling, these are factors at such an occasion. Sorry Steve, but I have very strong feeling about paying respect to the honorable and following proper etiquette. Breeding, refinement of manner, delicacy of feeling, these are factors at such an occasion.

"...along the procession route..."

The journey from 16th and Constitution (opposite the White House) to the Capital building only takes about 50 minutes. It may have been hot and muggy, but there was also a strong breeze and emergency water available (as well as emergency vehicles in the background). If the breeze wasn't enough for you, have the foresight to bring a $2 personal fan.

If you were going on to the viewing, you could have taken your jacket off until you entered the rotunda.

It's called RESPECT. If you have to suffer a little, if you have to suffer a lot, so be it. At the very, very least, the men and boys should have worn a white short sleeve shirt and dark tie. A full suit would actually be proper. Etiquette does not disappear because it's a little hot.

Would you go to the funeral of someone you respected in a T-shirt and shorts? I'm sure you didn't see any dignitaries in casual wear.

I guess I'm a strict, hardened, stuffy, old SOB. Hell, I probably would have deeply bowed my head when the casket was in front of me, instead of sticking a video camera up.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #63
warch
lurkin old school

Clothes make the man!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #64
glatt

The funny thing is, just about everyone has as distinguished a pedigree as Rich. The only difference is that Rich actually has documentation that can trace his.

For example, there are 35 million decendants of the Mayflower Pilgrims. Having ancestors that came over on the Mayflower does not make you special. It makes you one of the teeming millions.

I can trace branches of my family back pretty far, and there are some interesting tidbits there. I can do all this tracing, because some of my relatives and family members have an interest and did all the research. My family tree is interesting, but that's about it. To take credit (or blame) for being born into a particuar family is just insane.

We are all decendants of the group of first humans living in the horn of Africa 4 million years ago. Nobody can trace their family trees back to this beginning. Some can trace back further than others, but that doesn't make them special.

Your actions define you, your ancestors don't.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Unless they left you a pile of money.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #66
jaguar
whig

too true.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #67
Pi
desperate finder

I hope rich2741 won't leave us. I need his wisdom and all his respect and dignity to become as witty and cool and especially beautiful.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #68
glatt

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
OK. Nevermind. This was a stupid thing to say. We inherit much from our parents and that makes us who we are. Good and bad.

But taking credit for being part of a family is asinine.

My family came over in the 1620's. Some also came over in the 1920's. Which branch do I take credit for?

The first white child born in what is now New York was my ancestor. Another ancestor was know as a mean, lousy drunk who picked fist fights with everyone in his small Pennsylvanian coal mining town. Do I get to take credit for one but not the other?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:29 PM   #69
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

dude, you're not missing anything. i attempted to have a little flame war with him on his site, and it was weak at best. he quickly degraded to 8th grade sexual insults, and off base references to monkies, tutus, and his big brain.

whatevah.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #70
Pi
desperate finder

Maybe my ancestors throw you out of Europe because over here we didn't like you and that's why we still don't like you. So we help all the other people in the world to hurt and kill you!
Old 06-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #71
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

jinx, do me a favor and ask the 8ball if rich is busy masturbating at the moment and can't reply.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:48 PM   #72
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Slow day at work, eh Jim?

Seriously, let it go...the last thing we need is more of his fuckhead friends coming over here. Not to mention, you fucked with their bandwidth.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #73
jaguar
whig

I have to say I'm with syc, if we ignore it it might go get itself garrotted.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:51 PM   #74
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

HOLY SHIT!!! That site is stealing bandwidth from Cellar! Fucking bastards!

link

Last edited by elSicomoro; 06-14-2004 at 03:57 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Slow day at work, eh Jim?

Seriously, let it go...the last thing we need is more of his fuckhead friends coming over here. Not to mention, you fucked with their bandwidth.
so i linked a couple pics. i already apologized to the boss. i'm not too savvy with the technical end of things.

i'd have deleted the 2 or 3 pics i linked, but then my jokes would not be funny anymore. how are they stealing bandwidth?