Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #781
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Or don't learn about the situation ... your choice. You could go off on a rant (see above)
Whatever. If you actually knew what the situation is, you might feel differently. or not.
Meh. Too much effort.

Explain it to me, what's it all about, Alfie? Not the disjointed stuff like in that other post. What is it about? What is his frustration?

I went on a rant about a little boy going on a rant. Sorry, no go. I don't get to go on rants at work no matter how passionately I feel about a situation, no matter what students the situation affects. They expect all adult crap and stuff.

You posted a video with no information what it's about. I watched a snippet at work and thought 'whoa dude, pill o' chill' and you respond with...well classic, really... I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you, a lot of my posts are tongue in cheek and you know it, but what WAS that response? I got something about a bill and 200 hours. And he's throwing a hissy fit.

So what's his passion about? You must be passionate about it too. So instead of "look it up and learn, then submit a 100 word essay on what it's about" why don't you just tell me?

You even said if we don't care we can just watch the reactions of the people around him. So I don't care and I watched the reactions and felt their amusement. Great, infi, but don't comment on how funny it is. You obviously don't understand the importance of this situation. What? What situation? I'm still in the dark.

Am I allowed to poke fun at frothing screamy guy or not?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #782
infinite monkey

As to Broadcast News...hahahahah!

Just the other day I texted to my friend: A lot of alliteration for anxious anchors placed in powerful posts.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #783
glatt

Broadcast News! A guy I know (father of my daughter's best friend) lived in the apartment that they used as Holly Hunter's apartment in that movie. The studio rented it from him and his roomies and put them up in a hotel while they filmed in their apartment. Holly Hunter apparently even has a scene where she's lying in his bed, so he jokes that Holly Hunter's been in his bed.

He's got some great stories about it, but he said that overall the experience sucked. The studio really took advantage of them and trashed the place. He wished they had held out for a lot more money or just said no.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #784
infinite monkey

Wow! I can picture the apartment.

That is just such a great movie. So many good quotes:

Aaron Altman: I think we have the kind of friendship where if I were the devil, you'd be the only one I would tell.

[after Paul fires one of his workers]
Paul Moore: Now, if there's anything I can do for you...
Employee: Well, I certainly hope you'll die soon.

Aaron Altman: I know you care about him. I've never seen you like this about anyone, so please don't take it wrong when I tell you that I believe that Tom, while a very nice guy, is the Devil.
Jane Craig: This isn't friendship.
Aaron Altman: What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around? Nobody is going to be taken in if he has a long, red, pointy tail. No. I'm semi-serious here. He will look attractive and he will be nice and helpful and he will get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation and he will never do an evil thing... he will just bit by little bit lower standards where they are important. Just coax along flash over substance... Just a tiny bit. And he will talk about all of us really being salesmen. And he'll get all the great women.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #785
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

OK, lemme try it this way ...
One man has been leading the local legislature for 30 YEARS... ONE MAN! He decides how everything is played out.
He decides WHEN bills get put forth. In this particular case it was a 200 page bill they had worked on for over a year
and at the last minute (hour) after they legislators had worked on the bi-partisan bill, House Speaker Michael Madigan
introduced a very different bill with changes made to the proposed bill previously worked on.
Basically Madigan tried to pull a bait & switch, but Bost had had enough.

There is a ton of info on this. I just can't be bothered to write it all out.

This may also explain how effed up what Madigan has been doing for YEARS.
Quote:
"When I left the floor," ... "many Democrats from around the state -
even Chicago Democrats - came in and said, 'We want to say this but we can't.'"
Here - maybe this too will help...

Go to about the minute mark for the interview.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #786
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Governments in third worlds like? Like how they kill each other and riot at their soccer games sometimes? Yeah, no, we want to be a little more civilized than that, don't we?
Ukraine is at least second world and they had a pretty good parliament battle just a couple of years ago. Taiwan too and they've had some humdinger sessions. South Korea is considered first world and had a nice row a few years ago... lots injured and one hospitalized. 'More civilized' just means the clothes that get ruined in a fight are more expensive.

Regarding soccer riots and deaths therein, England is about as first world as countries get and that's where that big soccer riot that killed around 100 people happened.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #787
infinite monkey

@ classic: I apologize I totally see where he was coming from now. Thank you!
He seems like an OK enough guy in the interview. And it seems he was speaking for others as well and to be honest i wish I had the guts to go off like that at how my cow orkers are being treated, and how this micromanaging and insulting ruling class here needs some serious re-education.

@ C-wolf: I just like to get my digs in about soccer wherever I can.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #788
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
OK, lemme try it this way ...
One man has been leading the local legislature for 30 YEARS... ONE MAN! He decides how everything is played out.
He decides WHEN bills get put forth. In this particular case it was a 200 page bill they had worked on for over a year
and at the last minute (hour) after they legislators had worked on the bi-partisan bill, House Speaker Michael Madigan
introduced a very different bill with changes made to the proposed bill previously worked on.
Basically Madigan tried to pull a bait & switch, but Bost had had enough.

There is a ton of info on this. I just can't be bothered to write it all out.

This may also explain how effed up what Madigan has been doing for YEARS.

Here - maybe this too will help...

Go to about the minute mark for the interview.
This MoFo just made me LMAO.... what a great representative of the liberal left of todays society.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #789
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
This MoFo just made me LMAO.... what a great representative of the liberal left of todays society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bost
Quote:
Mike Bost (born December 30, 1960) is a Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 115th district where he has served since 1995.
or you know whatever. facts, pshaw, who needs 'em.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #790
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah...from Merc's perspective that still makes him the liberal left though, aye? :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #791
TheMercenary

Well Obama has done such a great job on the unemployment issue, the promise of transparency, the promise to close Gitmo, the promise to do things differently, the promise of transparency, the promise of "Green Jobs", the promise of ignoring race as an issue, saving the auto industry, this fucking cocksucker has failed on every point. Well he did giving US guns to the Mexican Cartel's, I have to give him that. Maybe he thought that they could kill each other off faster? How about the war on Wealth? How is that working out for him.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #792
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah...from Merc's perspective that still makes him the liberal left though, aye? :p
I actually consider him a latent Marxist and Alinsky worshiper.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #793
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bost

or you know whatever. facts, pshaw, who needs 'em.
Party affiliation means nothing these days. It is how you fall down on the issues. He fell right on his sword where he should have landed. To bad it didn't hit his brain....
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #794
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #795
infinite monkey

What a liberal leftist.

Um, he's a republican.

Party means nothing!

Why DO we give this guy the time of day?