The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 01-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #796
warch
lurkin old school

Power through fear not respect.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #797
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Gaw bless um.
Toad almost typed GOD!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #798
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

arial photo of your house
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #799
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I just wish I was the cool kid who didn't get beat up.
You can be proud of contributing to the war effort by getting those guys in shape.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #800
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

online game of "risk"
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:24 AM   #801
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
arial photo of your house
This was quite cool. There is a similar feature on mapquest, with better resolution, and color images.

The coverage is not as complete, though. (My house is on the above link and mapquest, fort slang only on the terraserver version.)

The image of the nuthouse is pretty good. You'll have to scroll this image a click to the northeast (upper right corner arrow).

The capital letter "E" shaped building with the white roof toward the top of the picture is the regional forensic unit ... my building is the capital "E" with the dark roof. Wish the resolution were good enough so I could see if my car was in the parking lot ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 01-08-2004 at 12:32 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #802
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My house is there all right. Nice picture too. Where do they get these? I don't recall seeing any black helicopters then...

Brian
Old 01-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #803
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

There are a couple of programs out there that use these photos in concert with your GPS to allow you to plot your course and locations on them. Way fun.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #804
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Check out this comic . It is rusian . The subjects are ass holes , but it is a good comic non the less ,

http://www.comics.aha.ru/rus/stalin/1.html
Old 01-13-2004, 12:06 AM   #805
SeleneRati
Come Spoon With Me

Lightbulb PFHT

Well, Elspode finally convinced me that I needed to participate myself on the Cellar rather than just feeding him links to items. So, I'm Mrs. Elspode, although I do prefer my own identify of Selene, thank you. I've certainly enjoyed many of your postings since Patrick has shared many a good laugh or discussion with me. I hope I will be able to keep up with everyone here.

For my first posting then, I thought some of you might enjoy this link...I think it's a great idea and everyone needs at least 3.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1467

You may need to cut and paste that.

Thanks...

Selene
SeleneRati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:23 AM   #806
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome Selene! I look forward to getting to know you.

Great first post, btw.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 AM   #807
headsplice
Relaxed

Wow, this thread has gone beyond the pale and into the realm of the ludicrous ("It's Spaceball 1! They've gone PLAID!").
On that note, as a kid, I used to log on to my dad's work network and play this bizarre game where I was an '@' symbol, and I would wander around in a dungeon and kill things. I never knew what it was until just recently. Nethack. So, without further ado, I present:
Nethack3.4.3 for all your adventuring needs. It runs on most any platform (including Amiga!) and is a great way to kill six or seven days of your life.

Last edited by headsplice; 01-13-2004 at 10:00 AM.
headsplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:53 AM   #808
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Heh. I brought NetHack up recently in the Entertainment/Gaming Consoles thread that never dies...

The beauty of NetHack is that there are _so many_ ways to die, yet so many logical ways to save yourself that generally escape you until after you're staring at your tombstone.

<a href="http://www.hut.fi/~eye/roguelike/">This page</a> provides a nice insight as to the history of "Roguelike" ASCII dungeon-crawl games, and how the code forked from the original:

<pre>
Rogue--------------
/ \ \ \
Hack Moria Omega \
/ \ \
NetHack Angband---- ADOM
/ \ \ \
Slash'Em Falcon's Zangband Dozens of other
Eye *angband spinoffs
</pre>

Zangband is my favorite, and one to which I contributed minor code for a (now-obsolete) release. I've burned major hours on Rogue, NetHack, Moria and Angband, however, and would recommend all.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #809
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I will play nethack at a low level my whole life, I'm sure. I suck at it horribly because I have no patience. So far I've been playing it for 15 years, and not won it yet. I would be considered an average player, I think.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:17 AM   #810
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I've never won it without rampant savefile-copying, and that was before they added extra plane-levels to the ascension process.

In my most recent set of attempts, I had one character that had real promise. My Valk had Mjollnir and the Gauntlets of Power needed to throw it. She cleared the Mines and got the luckstone, she cleared Sokoban and got the Amulet of Reflection, and she had two Amulets of Life Saving from a shop. She snuffed Medusa without much trouble, then cleared out the Castle with gratuitous overuse of engraving Elbereth.

She got the wand of wishing, got some new toys from it, and was ready to party. Hey, what's this? Two tins of spinach! Those raise your strength (as dumbass forgets that the Gauntlets already raised it to 25). Eat #1, Valk goes to "Satiated." Eat #2... "You choke on your food. Do you want your possessions identified?" RAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! Apparently, spinach is so nutritious that it leaped past the "You're having trouble getting this down" prompt and went right to my Valk bursting like the poor bastard in Seven.

Then there was a subsequent Samurai who found out the hard way that Boots of Water Walking will NOT keep electric eels from drowning you like an oilskin cloak will...
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote