The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #841
PhuctIfiNo
brother of BeatsTheShitOuttaMe

It's best to eat them young there before they get tough. Also much easier to get the fur off.

Take some photos of the kitten meal as you do the other regional meals there. Let's see how things are there for real.
PhuctIfiNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #842
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

(adds Phuctifino to ignore)

Here's a clip that I made just the other day. It's a sound clip not a video. I had to use my camera to make the clip so there is an image attached but it's the sound that is the subject of the clip.

The nicer homes here in the Phils are made from all concrete. That's fine as a building material but Jesus H fucking Christ what a noise when constructing.

That can continue for 2.4 to 4 months. If we had any idea that this would be going on, we would not have selected this apartment.

There is no escape from the noise anywhere inside as the whole structure is concrete and transmits the noise very efficiently.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #843
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Went out for a bike ride today and took some photos. The time away from the banging and clanging was nice.

Stopped in an intersection I noticed something strange.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #844
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Was this dog stuck up there? How did he get into this tough spot? Was it truly a tough spot or just a place that looks tough?

An hour later he was gone and there were no blood and fur splotches on the road. I guess everything is fine.

It looks strange though.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 AM   #845
busterb
NSABFD

(adds Phuctifino to ignore) Good show IMHO. BB
Old 12-21-2007, 02:32 AM   #846
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
(adds Phuctifino to ignore) Good show IMHO. BB
Thanks. Some people are just jackasses right out of the gate. You say something really dumb or irritate me, you go on ignore.

Maybe that will change in time but with a name like "[I'll be]Fucked if I know", it's not looking good.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #847
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The kids in front of "roof dog's" house tell me that he has a doghouse up there and that it's normal for him to stand up there.

"It is a bit unusual to see a dog up on the roof like that though......right?"

"whatever you say Sir"
Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #848
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Yes, this is much darker than the clips uploaded to YouTube. What you probably cannot see is 3 Christmas carolers, aged about 10-12. If you give them money they sing one last song, the thank you song. If you don't give them money they sing a "babarat ninyo" line, which means you are a cheap bastard.

I gave the little darlings 3 pesos each and they sang the thank you song. Very easy to please.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #849
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Here are some of the Christmas lights seen here. Keep in mind this is middle class here in the Philippines but it's still very poor by western standards. None of these are over 15 seconds long.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #850
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
(from post #519) The neighbor across the street is working her way slowly from her front gate into the back of a very pinoy looking Jeepny. She's a very old woman and a slow mover.

Her son is holding her arm to steady her. She's teary and her voice breaks up as she tells me...

Theese my son home from Amerika.

The son, John, an electrical engineer working in the San Fransisco area.
My neighbor died on Christmas and I was completely bummed over it.

She had been sick for a long time. Her death was no surprise for all the family and friends.

I talked with her husband for some time and quite honestly shed some very real tears.

Why has this had such an effect on me? I had not known her for very long or very well at all. She represents the committment to family and a better life for all the kids.

Their home is very modest and their lifestyle very simple. I'm sure that they have money for more material things than they actually have. The kids' lives in another country and having infinitely better opportunities was their life goal and they succeeded.

Then there is the fact that she died on Christmas. It's very sad.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #851
Griff
still says videotape

Heavy stuff man.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 AM   #852
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The kids are just now arriving from the US and Austrailia. Two engineers and a nurse. All very classy people.

Now my wife tells me more stories of what a great lady she was. Always helping people in need in this neighborhood with food and drink. Always giving time and or efforts or prayers.

There are many families here that have successful kids abroad. Most of them have a nice house, modern imported cars and very easy lives. The parents house is very simple, very few luxuries and a pinoy style jeepny that would look quite at home in a junkyard.

I'm guessing that the kids would have bought them a more comfortable life but their satisfaction was in having the kids leave the Philippines. That was all that was important.

This family's selflessness is truly humbling.

Ok, I'm done rambling on about it.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #853
SparkStalker
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Wow...truly touching stuff, man. It's a great, but sad, story.

BTW, I apologize for my absence...between work, holidays, and dealing with the house being built, I haven't had time to breathe much, much less post...I'll get some more pics up soon.
SparkStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #854
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkStalker View Post
...I'll get some more pics up soon.
Good to see you back here. I'm working on some other projects nowdays and would love to see your pics.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #855
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
I'm guessing that the kids would have bought them a more comfortable life but their satisfaction was in having the kids leave the Philippines. That was all that was important.

This family's selflessness is truly humbling.
At least you can feel pretty sure she finished it out with no regrets. A lot of people can't say that.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote