The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #76
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Meanwhile, in 2010 .... an economic boycott of Arizona is cooking up. The first cancellation? The annual conference of the National Immigration Lawyers Association. Yah really.
Mom's leaving the damn state, and taking her small business and not-inconsiderable retirement dollars with her. She's writing letters to that effect to all her duly elected representatives.

She got a postcard in her mailbox addressed to "resident" that said:
Arizona is for White Christians! GOD AND GUNS!

She can't wait to leave that backwards shithole.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I dont recall that.

Was it one person? a group?

Cite?
Of course you don't, it's not in your talking points.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #78
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Mom's leaving the damn state, and taking her small business and not-inconsiderable retirement dollars with her. She's writing letters to that effect to all her duly elected representatives.

She got a postcard in her mailbox addressed to "resident" that said:
Arizona is for White Christians! GOD AND GUNS!

She can't wait to leave that backwards shithole.
Her leaving is good. It makes room for all the bigots who will be rushing to AZ.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #79
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Of course you don't, it's not in your talking points.
Thanks for the link. Those who did that broke the law and should have been arrested.

But I dont see a pattern of violence or even any violence...quite the opposite in most demonstrations.

And your disparaging comment about talking points was very helpful as well.

So do you think that one event in Maywood is responsible for California not opting in to enforce the federal law?

Its a shame you dont hold your boy Merc to the same standards regarding talking points.

Once again, you demonstrated your double standards.

So, Fuck You...Mr. Fair and Balanced Moderator.

Last edited by Redux; 04-28-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #80
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, fuck you. Why can't you get it through your thick head being a moderator has nothing to do with what I post. I'm not fair and balanced, I'm opinionated, and they're my own like every other poster.
Don't try to lump me in with Merc and his wacko right wing nonsense, any more than you and your wacko left wing nonsense. You are both so fucking predictable I can skip pages of posts and pick right up where your pissing match left off.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #81
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Her leaving is good. It makes room for all the bigots who will be rushing to AZ.
As much as I like living in Scottsdale, AZ and working for MAW, this has gotten me to seriously think about leaving the state.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #82
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, fuck you. Why can't you get it through your thick head being a moderator has nothing to do with what I post. I'm not fair and balanced, I'm opinionated, and they're my own like every other poster.
Don't try to lump me in with Merc and his wacko right wing nonsense, any more than you and your wacko left wing nonsense. You are both so fucking predictable I can skip pages of posts and pick right up where your pissing match left off.
Thanks for the feedback!

I guess you only use your Mod privileges to delete a post of your own that was offensive to some....beyond the period when others have the same privileges.

Right...You're not predictable at all.. Keep doing what you do and I will keep pointing out your double standards.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh OK, you do that Mr Professional (as in paid to endorse) left wing poster.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #84
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Arizona "Papers, Please" Law May Hit Tech Workers on Tuesday April 27, @11:56PM

Posted by kdawson on Tuesday April 27, @11:56PM
from the don't-know-jack-boots dept.
business

dcblogs writes "H-1B workers and foreign students may think twice about attending school or working in Arizona as a result of the state's new immigration law. If a police officer has a 'reasonable suspicion' about the immigration status of someone, the officer may ask to see proof of legal status. Federal immigration law requires that all non-US citizens, including H-1B workers, to carry documentation, but 'no state until Arizona has made it a crime to not have that paperwork on your person,' said immigration lawyer Sarah Hawk. It means that an H-1B holder risks detention every time they make a 7-11 run if they don't have their papers, or if their paperwork is out of date because US immigration authorities are behind in processing (which condition does not make them illegal). The potential tech backlash over the law may have begun yesterday with a call by San Francisco City Atty. Dennis Herrera 'to adopt and implement a sweeping boycott of the State of Arizona and Arizona-based businesses.'"
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #85
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Meanwhile, in 2010 .... an economic boycott of Arizona is cooking up. The first cancellation? The annual conference of the National Immigration Lawyers Association. Yah really.
AZ officials are probably more concerned about the real possibility of losing the 2011 All Star game...much like they lost the Super Bowl in the early 90s as a result of being the only state not to adopt the Martin Luther King Holiday.

That boycott cost the state $hundreds of millions in lost conventions, tourism, etc.
Quote:
Something similar happened in the early 1990s, when the voters of Arizona failed to endorse a holiday for Martin Luther King. The estimated cost to Arizona businesses during 1991 and 1992 was $340 million. The National Football League pulled the 1993 Super Bowl out of Phoenix, moving it to Pasadena.

Up now? Major League Baseball. The 2011 All-Star game is slated to be held at the home of the Diamondbacks.

For a sport that relies heavily on Latinos for its players, the idea of holding the game in a state where they may be asked to show they're entitled to be in the country strikes the wrong chord. Over a quarter of Major League Baseball players (27 percent) are Latino, and some of its biggest stars have last names like Rodriguez, Gonzalez, Ramirez, or Hernandez.

http://www.open.salon.com/blog/tony_...mmigration_law
And for the record, I am not paid to endorse any position and never have been since my short stint in the US Senate staff in the early 80s.

Last edited by Redux; 04-28-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #86
Pie
Gone and done

Damn those Latino sluggers, taking jobs from good, white AMERICAN boys!!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #87
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Damn those Latino sluggers, taking jobs from good, white AMERICAN boys!!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #88
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Thanks for the link. Those who did that broke the law and should have been arrested.
So do you think that one event ...
It wasn't just one event. There have been others.

Again and again, until we secure our borders and do this properly then nothing is going to change. This just adds fire to the extremists on both sides.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #89
classicman

Quote:
City workers banned from official travel to Arizona

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom announced today a moratorium on official city travel to Arizona after the state enacted a controversial new immigration law that directs local police to arrest those suspected of being in the country illegally.

The ban on city employee travel to Arizona takes effect immediately, although there are some exceptions, including for law enforcement officials investigating a crime, officials said.
Link
Good - stay in CA and fix your own problems.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #90
Cloud

"secure the borders." what an absolutely nonsensical phrase.