The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #76
busterb
NSABFD

Bowl of grape maters w/ranch, fresh b pepper, little dash of garlic salt. A soft hogie roll toasted with feta and spinach on one side, olive salad on other side.
Not a redneck supper, but I can't live off chittlings all time.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #77
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Annie's Creamy Deluxe Whole Wheat Shells & Extra Cheesy Cheddar, says the box. Reinforced with a double handful of frozen peas and half a can of Spam (hickory smoked variety), cubed, all tossed together with the included cheese sauce which looks like Cheese Whiz but tastes better.

Pretty comfort-foody. It might do better with a splash of white wine and a good dash of black pepper.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #78
Urbane Guerrilla

Baked potatoes topped with canned black beans mixed with some leftover grilled, savory onion, a little butter on the potatoes, a good dose of black pepper.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #79
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Whatever you have for dinner, DON'T make it cottage cheese. I just had that for the first time last night. Yuck.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #80
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I had a panino tonight from a nearby cafe--turkey, brie, thin granny smith apple slices, and sundried tomatoes on what I think was whole wheat sourdough. Heavenly.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #81
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Whatever you have for dinner, DON'T make it cottage cheese. I just had that for the first time last night. Yuck.
where have you been living Miss Muffet??

everybody knows that curds & whey are only edible with massive amounts of black pepper!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #82
Urbane Guerrilla

The pseudonymous Kehlog Albran noted that "it is impossible to put too much salt on cottage cheese."

I like cottage cheese straight, was more or less raised on the stuff, but don't let it sit too many weeks in the fridge -- it does not successfully "become another cheese," the adage notwithstanding. It's also none the worse for being used not straight up by itself but as an ingredient.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #83
Clodfobble

My mother-in-law technically uses cottage cheese instead of ricotta in her lasagna, but because it's melted and mixed in, it tastes completely different.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #84
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My parents brought me a Bacon and Stuffing Topped Turkey Joint this weekend. Mum said to put it in the freezer and have it for Christmas Day. However I think that will make me miserable - I'm spending Christmas alone by choice, keeping my cats company and having a real go at cleaning til the flat is spotless, to start the New Year as I mean to go on.

If I have a pretend Christmas Dinner all alone I might choke on it. So I'm having it tonight, when it will simply be a feast :yum

So - turkey, bacon and sausagemeat stuffing, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, microwave steamed vegetables and gravy.

There will be enough left for tomorrow, when I intend to have it with mashed potatoes and baked beans... After that I'll have to see - might be some scraps to have with rice.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #85
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I love cottage cheese. I hate salad dressing, any kind. So, my best salad (for which I have the ingredients at home right now):

Iceberg lettuce (no fancy shmancy colored or wrinkly-edged leaves stuff)
Shredded carrots
Diced celery
Cut snow peas
Shredded mild cheddar
Dollop of cottage cheese
Salt!

Yum...

Hey SG, what is yorkshire pudding?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #86
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

How to make a Yorkshire Pudding
It's a light crispy batter pudding, traditionally served with Roast Beef. Everyone always claims their Mum makes the best ones, except me. Neither Mum nor I can make them particularly well, so I buy individual frozen ones.

My Nan (Mum's Mum) did make them to die for though. About the only positive thing I have to say about her!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #87
Clodfobble

Tonight I had wannabe chalupas... three tostadas with refried beans, cheddar and Fontina cheese (there wasn't enough of either one alone but enough if I used them both,) salsa and sour cream.

A proper chalupa would have lettuce and tomatoes, but I don't have those.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #88
Urbane Guerrilla

A note to our British readers: chalupa literally means "canoe." The use for something approximately taco-shaped is a bit metaphorical, though at least as tasty. Tortillas for tacos and suchlike should be leathery, not crunchy like a corn chip, or the suckers will crack and drip ground meat down your sleeve or plop it on your plate if you're luckier.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:01 AM   #89
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Don't eat that stuff plain! It's vile. I do not understand the black pepper thing. One of my coworkers does that. It makes as much sense to me as salt on a watermelon (which my mother does, and I don't get that either.)

Add your favorite jam (I'm big on raspberry and blackberry), and it should just about be tolerable ... unless you can get the kind that already has the pineapple added into it, not the Breakstones doubles, though. That's just a more expensive way of getting a tablespoon of jam added to your cottage cheese.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:43 AM   #90
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I love cottage cheese, with pineapple or just plain. On Ryvitas.... Yum, may go and buy some for lunch!