The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #76
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
So did you do a straight journo course? How did you end up working for AP? I'm moving in a similar direction and curious to see how you did it.
Uh ... weird ... this thread (and some others) just "refreshed" themselves on my new messages search. Damn web tech.

Sllooooow day on the wires ... very active this morning with all the Fed interest-rate hike excitement, but now it's dribbled down to nothingness. Amazing how one-quarter of a percent creates such a temporary brou-ha-ha.

To answer your question ... I actually graduated from college in '03 with a business degree, but I spent all my time and energy working at the newspaper, which is why I decided to go into the field. I took a few journo classes, allied myself with a good professor-friend and found myself starting out in biz journalism right after graduation.

My advice to those looking to get into the news business: Freelance a lot, become good friends with a higher-up editor and, most importantly, specialize in a topic. Biz j is really hot right now ... I got hired to AP's natl biz staff with only 1 year of experience because of my business degree and experience covering public companies in Philly.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #77
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I hope Rho sees this thread.
I "seent" it, and here I be.

Ok so how many ppl would I like to get busy with? Nobody in this town, for sure. Back home in MD...well I really couldn't put a percentage on it...it would be really low anyway.

As far as who would "do" me: I have no clue. Honestly, I always have found it a nice surprise to even find out if someone wanted to do the nasty with me.

Now, if the question was how many people have you fallen head over heels (been infatuated) with...oh geez. Wayyyyy to many! :p

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #78
marichiko

Oh well, better late than never. I guess I must be incredibly picky because I'd say that only 3 or 4 guys out of a hundred that I might meet turn me on. Well, maybe I should retract that. When I'm not in a relationship with someone, I suppose that would go up to 15 or 20. I seem to have this sort of unconscious self-censoring fidelity thing going for myself that helps to keep my life simpler and uncomplicated when I'm with someone versus the the times when I'm unattached.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:20 AM   #79
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

Ok so how many ppl would I like to get busy with? Nobody in this town, for sure.
Poor Sycamore. :-)

(Yes, I do poke my head in here once in a while great while.)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #80
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Poor Sycamore. :-)
OH

MY

GOD!

Old 07-01-2004, 04:29 PM   #81
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by blue

OH

MY

GOD!

Mkaaayyyy, I must have missed the joke.

Surely you guys didn't think I meant Sycamore in the "nobody in this town".

I would think that would make him quite happy.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #82
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i think blue was OMGing maggie's cameo
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #83
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

I can see the bumper sticker now:

"My penis is a Libertarian, and my penis VOTES!"
You missed your chance. If you had been at Plastic Forks, you could have had that as a bumper sticker.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #84
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Eh, I don't remember you breaking the machine out.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #85
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I remember seeing him taking it back to the car, I think?

We were too busy eating.

Hey, I've got it ... Party at Rich's to make bumperstickers!!!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:17 PM   #86
breakingnews
Q_Q

I wish girls here in NYC would wear bumper stickers on their asses or large neon signs over their heads signifying if they have boyfriends (or if they have boyfriends but still like to fuck around).

I've recently noticed that being single here in the city is almost not cool. I discussed with some friends, who all agree, even the handful who are in relationships. I meet tons of people every day and plenty of women with whom I'd love to get in the sack (or at least into the bathroom), but 95% of the time they're taken. At work there is endless talk about "my boyfriend this" and "my boyfriend that", and the timeless "last night my boyfriend tried this new toy on me ..." Sickening.

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I only meeting the taken ones because they're less afraid of being outgoing and friendly?

It's frustrating - all I want is a little reckless 23-year-old behavior, but that doesn't even happen because too many women are latched to their dumb effin' boyfriends from college. Four girls I met Wed night were somewhat flirtatious and outgoing - until three of them, after 2 or 3 drinks EACH, tell me they have guys waiting at home. The fourth ditched my ass for some greasy jewish dude with a big nose. Man, I suck.

But yeah, I would have porked all four of them. At the same time, if possible. And about 10 other women I saw at the bar too.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #87
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

BN, you got a pic posted somewhere?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #88
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

Surely you guys didn't think I meant Sycamore in the "nobody in this town".
Of course not....but that didn't stop me from joking about it.

I'm taking an alcohol prep and some kleenicies to the polls next time, in case I end up with a machine that was used by one of those voting penises.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:03 AM   #89
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Onyx and BN, up a tree, ****i n g ...!
Old 07-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #90
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
Am I doing something wrong?

BN, maybe your trying TOO hard, i mean girls aren't stupid, and we know when a guy is only buying us a drink or engaging in conversation with us just to get one thing out of us.

It doesnt make us feel special when some guy is hitting on you when you know he would hit on just about any other alright looking chick. Try just being friendly and only a little interested,, give the girls a challenge!