The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #76
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I meant between the b and the s.... *grin*

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:00 PM   #77
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
I meant between the b and the s.... *grin*
The only thing between the 'b' and the 's' is 'ull'.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:51 PM   #78
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

See! This is what HB was talking about.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #79
marichiko

OMG!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:35 PM   #80
lookout123
changed his status to single

Talking

oops
Old 06-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #81
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

My power goes out for a day, and look at the excitement I miss!

"a poster is only as good as his/her last post"...I disagree. I try to look at the person as a whole. While I try to respect everyone, there are some people here whose words I give more thought and value b/c those people have earned it. And if you're nothing but an asshole in my book, but then you start making some really good posts, it may take a while for me to take you seriously.

(Like you need my respect or approval, but that's just how I roll here.)

Shooting from the hip...sometimes, it can be very effective. But as a whole, I don't think people give too much thought to what they say. They just shoot off at the mouth or keyboard, only to sound like a dummy or feel like one later. Sometimes, it can't be helped, but I think it can be more often than not.

My hope is that the Cellar will keep its intellectual edge while not taking itself so seriously. Time will tell...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM   #82
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

You know, what some guy I've never met and never will meet thinks about me, or my intelligence or my weight or anything else has NO bearing on who I am, or who I want to be. So if I want to go around posting like an AOL-er, I will. And if HB or anyone else (barring the moderator) don't like it, they can use ignore or they can leave. Pretty simple, really.

Personally, I'm tired of people I don't know and will never meet trying to tell me how to behave, and what is and is not correct and polite. I don't care what they think. It is a non-event in my world horizon.

So lurkers, take heart! Don't let HB or anyone else tell you who to be or scare you off from posting!!!

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #83
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I've been looking at the Blog view of the IotDs for about 5 months now and lurking around the forums themselves for about a month. A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and joined for one main reason: This place looks like a FUN place to spend my time (especially at work...shh! )

What pulled me in (aside from wanting to contribute to the IofD posts) is the fact that there are so many varities of topics and threads on this forum. Most forums I frequent are geared towards something specific. Here, anything and everything goes.
To add to that, I really liked reading the posts. I liked the mixture of really smart posts and cute posts and funny posts... Half the time its the really simple "AOL" type posts that are the most enjoyable and humorous for me to read. A prime example: this thread itself. HB did the first post, presented in all its splendor et al. The very next post was nothing but "lol". That cracked me up.

See, I'm all for intellegent discussion. I enjoy intellegent discussion but I also like to laugh at silly stuff, too. Intellegent discussion doesn't always give way to humor and when it does it's usually dry, chuckle, in-the-know kind of humor. Not to say that's bad, it's just not the same as belly-laugh kind of humor. I like to laugh loud and hard. It's good for you, besides.

I'll grant y'all, I'm quite new here. I haven't read all of the threads in all of the forums all the way through so I really can't say I know what anyone means when they talk about how it used to be. But the way it sounds to me is that before, this forum was much like a group of professors standing in a little huddle in Prim And Proper University and speaking in a hushed polite murmur. In contrast, the way it seems to me now is this forum is more like a university Common Building, where people come in and out, hang out for a while, talk about important things or spread urban legends and gossip. That's what I like about this place, that Commons feel it has to it. It made me feel comfortable.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #84
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

oh shit, who let a commoner in here?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #85
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
oh shit, who let a commoner in here?
Hey! After they let you in, they probably just figured they might as well let the rest of the hoi polloi come along, too. So now you're stuck with people like me and Cyberwolf.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #86
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

You know, I have the same problem here in my neighborhood... it used to be that my neighbors and I would gather for large barbeques, pinics, and other worthwhile get-togethers all the time, but these days so many people just want to visit briefly out on the front porch, or to chat for a few minutes in passing on the street. Sure, occasionally I'll chat for a minute out by the mailbox, but most of the time, if my neighbors want the pleasure of my company, they'd better get the steaks and grills out!

I think it's because of a bunch of new people who have moved in recently... they don't always want to come to barbeques! They may not like barbeques, but I don't give a fuck.

I've been away from the neighborhood on vacation for a few months, and that's what I come back to? Sure, they all seem to enjoy it just fine, but it just doesn't suit me. I could move away, and find a community that fits me more closely, but I think instead I'll send a message out to the whole neighborhood... I'll tell them that I liked things better the old way... MY way... and that the neighborhood is now a waste of time. Maybe if I can get some of the other long-time residents to back me, we can straighten out the new people, and force them to come to our barbeques.... and any who won't, we can eventually drive out.

Oh wait... that would be whiny, self-absorbed, and a tad conceited. Silly me.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:08 PM   #87
lookout123
changed his status to single

H_P... all i can say is wow.

sorry if that low level of sophistication offended anyone.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #88
marichiko

hmmm... Barbeque sauce, anyone? It's raining here and has been for days. I can't BBQ a thing! (sniffle).
Old 06-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #89
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

just in case you wanted to know, here are ALL of HB's posts for 2004: ( apart from the 2 in this thread, of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy

Dude.

That mod_rewrite stuff is just this side of being voodoo as far as I'm concerned.

You are, like, s00p3r-3|33t!

Signed,
<VirtualHost> Sissy
Quote:
Perhaps our casualty rates would decrease even further if we simply stop taking prisoners?
Quote:
I don't recall it ever being /.ed, but it's definitely been Farked.
Quote:
Just out of curiousity.... are you suggesting that happiness and success are rights, and that The State is obliged to provide them?

Goodness. "Heavy handed state intervention" indeed.
Quote:
I think I stumbled over one of Tony's posts on /. and ended up here.
Quote:
</cloaking device>

Gad, don't people read anymore? The Supreme Court decided this one waaaay back in 1927. As far as I know, <i>Buck v. Bell <a href="http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=274&invol=200">(274 US 200)</a></i> has never been <i>explicitly</i> overturned.

Even today, after almost 80 years the simple, eloquent words of Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes ring true:
<blockquote>"It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes. Three generations of imbeciles are enough."</blockquote>

<i>*sniffle*</i> They just don't write 'em like that anymore, eh? Brings a tear to my eye...

&lt;cloaking device&gt;
Quote:
&lt;/cloaking device&gt;

I still have the original Photoshop .psd files of the monkeys and the typewriters... ummm... somewhere around here.

*rustle rustle rustle*

You can have 'em if you want, rather than be messin' around with copies of copies of copies of copies...

&lt;cloaking device&gt;
one wonders whether hb, who seems to have gone back to cloaked mode, posted this thread in despair of his own drop off in quality content.

HB, for the record, i never had any problems with you, and you seem like a nice enough person. but this thread has chafed my ass for days since i read it. i understand your intent, and appreciate the message. i agree to a point, even. but the result has been that you've offended a lot of folks who dont deserve it. I enjoy a good insult. I like to argue. I really like flame wars. this, however makes me want to turn my back on the whole enterprise. I know you're a squeaky wheel at this point, and your views are not upheld by the majority. so, i won't leave. it has, however taken some of the joy out of it for me.

listen to me:

the cellar you described in your first post no longer exists.

this is the current cellar. had you been more active, and led by example, perhaps it would be closer to your fond memories, but you didn't and it's not. None of those that you derided have the experience of that cellar, so it is monumentally unfair to expect them to hold to a standard that they have no knowledge of.

I resent this thread, this discussion, and your attitude.

for everyone(including HubrisBoy):

i enjoy your company. say what the fuck you want to say, be it a little or a lot. shallow or deep. pass the beer nuts.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #90
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

A-fucking-men.