The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-18-2002, 11:25 AM   #91
Nic Name
retired

Obviously, there is a lot of interest in this topic in the Cellar, considering the number of page views and the number of replies in this thread.

Nice choice for IotD, UT.

It's hard to beat rhetorical argument for entertainment.

But here's an interesting fact sheet in the form of a timeline history of tobacco. An amazing amount of research has gone into this timeline, which is presented in Parts I-IV.

Find more information at: www.tobacco.org

These are not my sites or opinions. Please don't rant at me if you disagree with anything on these links.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:15 AM   #92
Nic Name
retired

Health Canada marks "weedless Wednesday" today in Canada with the launch of a new website to help smokers quit smoking.

This website even offers advice to help to those who don't want to quit:

"How to deal with people who nag you to quit.

Some people want you to quit smoking. Some may tell you directly. Other people try hints such as hiding your cigarettes or ashtrays. Still others may not say or do anything; rather, you just feel like they are judging you.

Of course, you could get angry and tell them to mind their own business, but most of the time this doesn't work. It only encourages them to nag you more because they think you don't understand the health effects of smoking.

The next time someone starts nagging or judging you about your smoking, try these tips:

Remain calm. Remember, you have the right to make your own choices but they have the right to be concerned about you.

Take time to really listen to their concerns and ask them to extend you the same courtesy. Thank them for their concern for your well-being.

Politely explain that quitting is something that you will have to do in your own time and in your own way. When you do decide to quit, you will appreciate their support.

Explain how their nagging makes you feel. They will likely be able to appreciate that putting extra pressure on someone may not always help.

Indicate that you will respect their right to smoke free air if they respect your right to make choices for yourself."

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-23-2002 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:47 AM   #93
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's excellent. It recognizes the dignity of the smoker, notes their freedom of will, points out that anti-smokers are doing what they do out of concern (well sometimes). Puts the whole thing in perspective and treats smokers as rational human beings.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:40 PM   #94
kaleidoscopic ziggurat
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Being a young bloke that ahs smoked I guess I’ve got a pretty good idea why - culture. For all the knowledge, most kids still think it’s cool to smoke, from my experience it tends to progress from social smoking at parties and the like to a permanent habit. They are not hard to get hold of, about 50% of places will sell to underage, and some charge a "tax" on it though. I still have a reasonable number of friends I know will smoke for their entire lives or close to, pack a day at 16 years old...

Personally I think if they made better use o the impotence ads, it'd probably have an effect, heart disease, lung cancer etc are a long way off, not being able to get it up would certainly stop allot of people, and the jokes would help too.
yah, i rather forgot the schoolyard perspective. some kids are oblivious but others see that the cooler kids are out expressing some slothy rebellion every break... the "pit" [of smokers] develops into its own little social scene that is in fact self-reinforcing. i suppose smoking is one of the easiest forms of rebellion a teen can do. it expresses discontent for those that would chose and control their future perhaps...

as for "weedless wednesday"... well... why is it "weedless" i gotta wonder. stupid canucks.

nice info on the web site but no one got that... ya just get the pap. at least they were thoughtful and realistic though so give 'em some credit! poorly executed idea though, nonetheless...
kaleidoscopic ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:09 PM   #95
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Speaking of impotence ads....

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 01:43 PM   #96
russotto
Professor

Re: Speaking of impotence ads....

Very nice, but even us nonsmokers know the ads aren't true. Oh, sure, smoking may contribute to impotence in some percentage of cases, but impotence isn't a common symptom of smoking. Ads which lie or mislead about the dangers of a product are, IMO, counterproductive -- they destroy the credibility of the authority making the claim.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #97
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Oh, sure, smoking may contribute to impotence in some percentage of cases, but impotence isn't a common symptom of smoking.
And you know that how?

The UK government is understood to be in favour of the impotence warning after research by the British Medical Association showed most men are unaware of the link between smoking and erection problems.

The BMA says up to 120,000 British men in their thirties and forties are impotent because they smoke.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:42 PM   #98
dave

I'd like to see the Onion do some of these warnings just for kicks.

"Surgeon General's Warning: Smoking will cause your cock to fall off." Hahaha. :whofarted
Old 01-29-2002, 03:01 PM   #99
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
And you know that how?

Because of all the fucking smokers.

Quote:

The BMA says up to 120,000 British men in their thirties and forties are impotent because they smoke.
IMO, they, like the AMA, will say anything if they think it will get people to follow their directions.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:01 PM   #100
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Re: Speaking of impotence ads....

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Very nice, but even us nonsmokers know the ads aren't true. Oh, sure, smoking may contribute to impotence in some percentage of cases, but impotence isn't a common symptom of smoking.
I don't think anyone can speak with confidence about the true incidence of impotence....and "even us nonsmokers know the ads aren't true" is an unsupported assertion; I'm an ex-smoker and nonsmoker and I don't know any such thing.

I *do* know that the cliche is "afterwards they smoked cigarettes"...not "before". :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #101
dave

Most of my friends smoke. None of my friends are impotent.

That's what I know. :whofarted
Old 01-29-2002, 03:10 PM   #102
Nic Name
retired

dham,

and you know that how?

[Edit] "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-29-2002 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:19 PM   #103
dave

Because most of my friends have female friends, and I'm friends with most of my friends' female friends, and they'd tell me if my friends' penises didn't work right.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:29 PM   #104
Nic Name
retired

I thought you might have first hand experience.

Anyway, I thought you mentioned that you were 20 years old and so, I would imagine that most of your buddies aren't yet in their 30s and 40s like the 120,000 impotent blokes in the BMA study.

So I guess they're OK. Not to worry.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:52 PM   #105
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i don't smoke. that makes jenno, me. and. i don't know who your other friends are besides andrea and chris. but they smoke.

well, matt, but he doesn't smoke, right?

and...um...well, there. that's 3/5 of people who don't smoke.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote