The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #91
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Maybe you're right pierce.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #92
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Or maybe because there is no way to stop the Iraqi civil war.
Arm our side with Mr. Potato Head grenades! It will terrify the other side into submission!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #93
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Hmmm... so you're saying our problems with the Arab world began in '83 in Beirut? Do you think those Marines were there on vacation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Griff, no, I'm not saying that; I'm saying the current phase of the problem, the going after us, really got going about then. Were they or were they not trying to either start a war with us, or win it then?
They were not. They were trying to get the US out of their yard..... and still are.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #94
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I put it to you that that is the same thing -- given our reasons for being there.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #95
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I suggest you don't try to usurp my yard with that silly non-logic.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #96
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Your view on how and why the Vietnam 'occupation' ended is as warped as some of your other views UG.
Which amounts to a confirmation that I'm really in pretty good shape, and arrow-straight.

Quote:
I rather think it was because public pressure led to the government of the day deciding they'd bitten off more than they could chew and couldn't solve the problems of another nation any better than those of their own.
Which amounts to making an excuse for a most horrendous betrayal to the forces of oppression and injustice. Communism's class-war paradigm creates both, on an industrial scale, everywhere it's been. Remember that in 1954-55 the refugees ran from Communism from the North to the South. Were they wrong? History says they were absolutely right.

Thus, kill communists faster than they can be made, and injustice and one source of oppression is removed from our Earth. This is a good thing. Bloody way to get it, but human goodness and resistance to evil is worth any volume of blood. I've been there, examined it, and that's my conclusion.

You may of course think as you like -- but that doesn't mean your opinion would actually coincide with the reality. I endeavor to keep my opinions grounded in reality and in large measure I succeed.

North Vietnam conquered South Vietnam motivated by and in the name of communism -- nationalism was never more than a convenient cloak. In the end, the Vietnamese had to abandon communism in order to restore the nation to functionality. Marxism's approach to economics doesn't much coincide with how economics really works, and without a good economy, nothing works and life is terrible. Collectivism doesn't work and shouldn't be practiced. Shoot its practitioners before they get around to shooting you, which they will do if you have anything of mankind's true birthright in your mental makeup -- your liberty.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #97
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Remember that in 1954-55 the refugees ran from Communism from the North to the South.
Wow. I did not know that refugees were fleeing the north and south pole. Having learned that, even I can be arrow-straight.

Amazing how history is so easily understood once it is rewritten.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #98
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
In the end, the Vietnamese had to abandon communism in order to restore the nation to functionality. Marxism's approach to economics doesn't much coincide with how economics really works, and without a good economy, nothing works and life is terrible. Collectivism doesn't work and shouldn't be practiced.
You got this much right but you fail at being an anti-totalitarian by placing too little faith in a free market to leverage those other freedoms.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #99
Urbane Guerrilla

Oh, I dunno. It's true I haven't said much about it. Dictatorship, however, is quite the opposite of free market -- even if it doesn't happen to be Marxist.

Tw, every time I think you couldn't possibly get more idiotic or more delusional you prove me wrong, you mighty misreader of posts. Interesting, but now I'm curious -- just how do you keep it together enough to pee in the pot -- or even draw breath? Surely even one of your mismade mind could see it was North and South Vietnam I had in mind.

Or were you trying to make a joke? There, I think that covers the possibilities.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #100
Griff
still says videotape

I should have said market not free market. A dictator claiming complete control over the marketplace is a far different thing than maintaining control. A black market is very good for disolving respect for authority.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #101
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
North Vietnam conquered South Vietnam motivated by and in the name of communism -- nationalism was never more than a convenient cloak. In the end, the Vietnamese had to abandon communism in order to restore the nation to functionality. Marxism's approach to economics doesn't much coincide with how economics really works, and without a good economy, nothing works and life is terrible. Collectivism doesn't work and shouldn't be practiced. Shoot its practitioners before they get around to shooting you, which they will do if you have anything of mankind's true birthright in your mental makeup -- your liberty.
So, Vietnam abandonned communism after all, even without the US. Isn't that a pity of the 2 Mio deaths (plus another 1,5 Mio in Laos and Cambodia) for trying to force it from the outside? Same what´s now happening in Iraq (1000 Iraqi's killed this week alone) and might be happening in Iran?

As usual the only thing the US is learning from history that it's not learning from history.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #102
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't think the US is the only country guilty of not learning from history Hip.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #103
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I don't think the US is the only country guilty of not learning from history Hip.
I was referring to Vietnam and Iraq, but you're right, it's a common problem.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #104
Urbane Guerrilla

I don't think it's a national thing either; I think it's a human thing. Robert Heinlein said it best in Starship Troopers -- the book, not the maladroit movie of that name; jee-zusss was that a European misreading of an extremely American manner of thought:

Quote:
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion [that violence never settles anything] is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms."

Add to it that man is man's own natural enemy on this Earth -- absolutely no other organism capable of eating a human is anywhere nearly as lethal as a human. This is the sort of thing you pick up from what might conveniently be called The Heinlein Lecture.

Either you love Heinlein or you hate him. Seldom is anyone wishy-washy.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 02-05-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #105
Ibby
erika

He's fucking awful politically, most of the time, but a great writer nonetheless.