The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-02-2004, 12:36 PM   #91
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Guess I'm just a believer in people without medical conditions have the right to say what they want, however they want *shrugs*.
Hey, you know what? If the board OWNER has no problem with it, then so be it!

Jaguar wrote:
Quote:
"I'm sure everyone here has their advocates and detractors, the only person who has in any way any right to say whether someone is 'right' for cellar or not and unless I'm greatly mistaken, UT abdicated, wisely, that power for general purposes a while back.
However, it's STILL UT's board (even if he did abdicate his power, he still OWNS IT and therefore, can take back that power).

Look, we can all agree to disagree, but no one is forcing anyone to read any particular post/thread, etc.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:43 PM   #92
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I hate to butt into other people's pissing matches, but i want to argee with some of the sentiments that the 'feel' of the cellar has changed over time. That's part of the coolness IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysycamore
Bitching and moaning is in the eye of the beholder.
Guess I'm just a believer in people with medical conditions have the right to say what they want, however they want *shrugs*.
Please remember that everyone here has the right to post their opinions, feelings, and the (hopefully fully checked) facts to back them up. I definately find some posts whiney, rude, stupid etc but I try to keep in mind when i read them that I am not perfect either, and i take into consideration the incredible variation in age, edcucation, and life experiences of all of the cellerites. This would be a really freaking boring place if we were all the same. If you're too lazy to be a bit empathetic to others, 1) ignore 'em and don't tell me about it, or 2) stop participating in this community. I like to hear opinions/feeling from those in other places in their lives, either because of age, illness, divorce, or loss of job, (and the good stuff too!). Even tho I may not be there right now, it could be me at any moment, and i need to be considerate of others who might not be where they want to be.

that is all.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #93
lookout123
changed his status to single

somehow i think Jim is sitting back laughing pretty hard at how stirred up everyone got. in fact, i'm having a hard time not laughing at it, because this is all pretty ridiculous. while some of you know eachother IRL, this remains the internet. it is amazing that people are getting so emotionally charged on what really amounts to a big "I don't like you" fest. let's face it - Jim has gotten you all going. he is a masterful feces stirrer.

i think the speed with which everyone was willing to draw sides on this issue is evidence that the cellar hasn't had any really good "issues" thread in awhile. it's time to burn off some of our energy we've saved up for arguments, apparently.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #94
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I know that it may not carry much weight, and while I don't agree with him in how he handles it, but I have to join the Lumberjim camp on this point.

Her posts are generally commiserative pablum or complaining.

There are self-help and support groups out there that would provide a much more supportive environment.

She does provide the occasional witticism or insight but it is overshadowed by the maudlin nature of her posts.

A reserved disdain is more my style, but LJ isn't alone.

*dons flame-retardent suit, hands LJ his spare*
Reserved disdain works for me. At least that shows the person has a little class. So when it comes to me, you can leave off the flame retardant suit. That thing must get awfully stuffy if you have to wear it often.

I hardly consider The Cellar to be a support group, BTW. The first time I started posting here I got involved in a big fight with everybody, so it's hardly the warm, fuzzy glow which keeps me around.

I find it interesting that this has all started over a post where I stated that I feel my situation has improved enough for me to attempt some sort of meaningful work again and I asked the "intelligent" members of the cellar to give me some input from a professional point of view.

I have recieved intelligent and supportive input from many of you. A few chose to call my post more "whining." *shrugs* Whatever. If you were to go back and look at the old threads you might notice that after that first big argument with you all, I have mostly written of my situation because some other poster decided to shove my nose in it again and wouldn't let up until I replied.

I'm not so spineless that I'm going to attempt to tailor my posts to make every last person who reads them happy, and I have no problem telling someone when I disagree with what they post; nor do I have a problem when someone disagrees with me. I do have a problem with people who resort to name calling, obscenities, and generally incoherant replies. I have little respect for this because it shows both a lack of intelligence and a lack of integrity on the part of the person making such replies. They can certainly say what they want, but I don't have to respect them, either.

You have never responded to my posts in the above manner for all your apparant disdain for me, and I respect you for that.

Last edited by marichiko; 12-02-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #95
jaguar
whig

Quote:
However, it's STILL UT's board (even if he did abdicate his power, he still OWNS IT and therefore, can take back that power).
Oh I'm not denying that, I'm just pointing out at least noone else has the right to say whether someone is 'right' for cellar.

Quote:
it is amazing that people are getting so emotionally charged on what really amounts to a big "I don't like you" fest. let's face it - Jim has gotten you all going. he is a masterful feces stirrer.
Which is another way to say that jim is a troll with little constructive input.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #96
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Oh I'm not denying that, I'm just pointing out at least noone else has the right to say whether someone is 'right' for cellar.
Quite right. That's what I was saying...perhaps in a not so direct way. :p Sorry. I was just using what you previously wrote. S'all good.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #97
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I'm not so spineless that I'm going to attempt to tailor my posts to make every last person who reads them happy, and I have no problem telling someone when I disagree with what they post; nor do I have a problem when someone disagrees with me. I do have a problem with people who resort to name calling, obscenities, and generally incoherant replies. I have little respect for this because it shows both a lack of intelligence and a lack of integrity on the part of the person making such replies. They can certainly say what they want, but I don't have to respect them, either.
Well-said...I agree 100%!
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #98
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

Which is another way to say that jim is a troll with little constructive input.
that's it. you're not my bitch anymore.

as for constructive input, you can input your finger in your ass.

tshirt, cd thing, gobs and gobs of laughing people.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #99
jaguar
whig

I rest my case.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:41 PM   #100
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

good job, perry mason.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #101
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It only takes one "Oh shit" to offset a hundred "Atta boy"s.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #102
marichiko

Quote:
I rest my case.
Jag 100, LJ 0

Old 12-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #103
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ok. i rest mine, too. i gotta get back to work. this has been fun. just like the old days. I'll catch you guys and nitwits later.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #104
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Don't strain your arm patting yourself on the back, okay?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:04 PM   #105
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

LS, this is extremely weak moderation on my behalf, and pretty much anyone can come around and say anything they want unless it's intolerably irritating. The hope is that people will come up with good things to say regardless.

FWIW I'm with James on this one. Any relatively open forum is going to fill up with crap if people let it. From time to time a "true" attention whore such as April comes around, and I will let such situations linger whilst we figure out whether we can do anything gracious for them, such as reforming them with a series of complaints.

Mari is certainly not at that level, but she's trying hard. She annoys me, but my opinion is worth about the same as all y'alls on that point.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote