The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #1036
Griff
still says videotape

I remember a graph of post war crashes from a US History class years ago. I'll search the net... of course we are not even close to ending our present engagements. Go us.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #1037
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I remember a graph of post war crashes from a US History class years ago. I'll search the net... of course we are not even close to ending our present engagements. Go us.
I'm trying to figure out how much of the money spent on the war is creating jobs here. Mercenaries like Blackwater (Xe) don't really represent the US workforce, and a lot of the work by Cheney's old firm (KBR-Haliburton) involves subcontracters overseas which they overcharge for. This is one reason why there are a number of electrocution cases in Iraq.

In previous wars, at least most of the money was spent in the US. Now services, components, and equipment are as likely as not to be from sources outside the US.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 AM   #1038
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Take a look at Griff's graph.
Firstly, note that it gives job losses as an absolute value. Since there are more people in jobs now compared to 1950, losing a million jobs is a smaller percentage now than previously. I'd like to see an adjusted graph of that (but not enough to go and look for one).

I also notice that if you trace the recessions in their chronological order, after the first cluster of five recessions which lasted 18-23 months, they get progressively longer: 28, 32 and 47 months. The present one is shaping up to be a doozie. Is the trend strong enough to support a general hypothesis? Are US recessions getting longer? If so, why would that be?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #1039
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

An interesting relationship here:

Obama, Soros, oil.

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/o...-oil-in-brazil
Old 11-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #1040
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Sign this petition.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #1041
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

This Krauthammer article probably belongs here.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #1042
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
Sign this petition.

Why would anyone sign a petition for the president to release his birth certificate when he already did during the campaign and it was a legitimate, authentic, certified, signed, sealed, and verified copy of his actual birth certificate?

Only a nutjob or an insane person is stupid enough to believe he was born in another country. Only jackasses like Orly Taitz or Phil Berg are that dumb.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #1043
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Why would anyone sign a petition for the president to release his birth certificate when he already did during the campaign?
Then do it again - its the department of redundancy dept - one of the largest in our Gov't. Shouldn't take a petition anyway. Personally I would hope it would shut up a bunch of them once and for all.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #1044
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That doesn't work on idealogues with the memory of a goldfish and the attention span of a toddler.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #1045
Urbane Guerrilla

Though it does work well enough on everybody else, leaving the cranks to be encysted in their isolation. Works for me [shrug].
Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1046
classicman

Quote:
'A Lot Like Jimmy Carter'

An end to diplomacy is also taking shape in Washington's policy toward Tehran. It is now up to Iran, Obama said, to convince the world that its nuclear power is peaceful. While in Asia, Obama mentioned "consequences" unless it followed his advice. This puts the president, in his tenth month in office, where Bush began -- with threats. "Time is running out," Obama said in Korea. It was the same phrase Bush used against former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, shortly before he sent in the bombers.

There are many indications that the man in charge at the White House will take a tougher stance in the future. Obama's advisors fear a comparison with former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, even more than with Bush. Prominent Republicans have already tried to liken Obama to the humanitarian from Georgia, who lost in his bid to win a second term, because voters felt that he was too soft. "Carter tried weakness and the world got tougher and tougher because the predators, the aggressors, the anti-Americans, the dictators, when they sense weakness, they all start pushing ahead," Newt Gingrich, the former Republican speaker in the House of Representatives, recently said. And then he added: "This does look a lot like Jimmy Carter."
Link

Good gracious, please tell me that we aren't going there again.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #1047
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Don't hold your breath.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #1048
Urbane Guerrilla

There are T-shirts that say "Welcome Back, Carter" advertised on The Drudge Report.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #1049
classicman

Barack Obama’s Top Ten Foreign Policy Follies
Quote:
This has hardly been a stellar year for the projection of American global power. Weakness, rather than strength, has been the hallmark of US foreign policy under Barack Obama, from the Iranian nuclear crisis to dithering over the war in Afghanistan. Instead of strong American leadership, the White House has all too often offered humiliating apologies for America’s past and embarrassing gaffes.

Here is a list of the ten biggest foreign policy follies of Barack Obama’s first year in office. I’ve tried to make the list inclusive of all corners of the world, ranging from Tehran to Tokyo to Khartoum, and frankly could easily have expanded it to a top 20 or even top 30 list. There are plenty to choose from, including some of the most cringe worthy moments in modern American history.
Link
Some of the comments at the end of this are amazing. I don't agree with all of what is said, but I was more than a little surprised at this mans perspective nonetheless.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #1050
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That list is tiresome carping. There has been no actual foreign policy test as yet. If one of the worst ten things O could do is mess up gift-giving he will be in the same boat as most families tomorrow.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote