The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-03-2003, 04:57 PM   #121
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
This is almost like Radar vs. Cairo.
Except that (so far) we LIKE LUVBUGZ.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #122
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm just waiting for her to call Quzah a "mook," then all bets are off...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #123
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
[b]Perhaps the female cat situation could be analagous to the human practice of rape?[b]
I don't think so. All the cats I've been around, especially the barn cats, the females were pretty formidable. Considering were up to out butts in cats, in this country at least, it's hard to believe they're that opposed to it.
Quote:

I don't think lack of knowledge really reinforces a hypothesis. But perhaps I misunderstand you. In any case I have to attend to Kathy. I'll be back later.
OK. my bad. What I tried too say was it takes away the basis for the competing hypothesis that they do it for pleasure and reproduction is accidental. The other case against that is so many animals time their births to seasons and other outside influences.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-03-2003 at 08:20 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #124
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

What about primates and Dophins that have sex lives that go well beyond reproduction? They're animals too. Juju referenced this but I didn't see a response.

http://whale.wheelock.edu/archives/ask01/0097.html
Old 09-03-2003, 08:20 PM   #125
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
You don't have to be taught that sex feels good, for the same reason you don't have to be taught that ice cream or chocolate tastes good.
You are correct here, Juju. You don't have to be "taught" these things, but you still "learn" them. There are several ways of "learning" things. Learning is an adaptive change in behavior resulting from experience (Harper Collins Biology Dictionary). As I tried to explain earlier, "learned" behavior is different from "innate" behavior. The need for animals to reproduce is an innate behavior (instinctual), they don't need to learn this, they just know they need to reproduce (ie. hard-wired in their brains from birhth). This is true for humans as well, but some where along the line humans have come to associate sex with pleasure as well as reproduction. I'm not a human behaviorist, but I have a feeling that this phenomenon is a result of "learning" through experience that the sex act produces physical pleasure to "us". So, although we weren't "taught" that sex feels good we still have "learned" this through our sexual experiences.

Mama Loves You Baby Girl ~ May You Rest In Peace
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:27 PM   #126
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That link claims dolphins and chimps have incorporated sex into their social behavior. Neither for fun or (intentional) reproduction, as I understand it.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #127
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
Oh, here's where I act like I'm holier-than-thou and bitch you out for your potty mouth. Like I said, hypocrite. Have a nice day.

Quzah.
I never bitched you out for your potty mouth, only for the diarrhea that seems to endlessly flow out everytime you open your mouth. Watch who you call a hypocrite, fuck-face. At least I have the intelligence to know what the word means. Go suck on a carrot or something, better yet, just fuck off and die And while you're at it have a nice day, asshole.:p

Old 09-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #128
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Right Bruce, as a social thing it's not hardwired, and they are animals. There is some suggestion of pleasure, but it's clearly not the integral point. I'm just stirring the pot. Adding food for thought.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #129
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Black = Juju, Purple = LUVBUGZ

Dave is a jerk. I really wouldn't recommend taking on his philosophies. But that's your call, of course.

Dave may very well be a jerk, I don't know him that well, but I kinda like his "I meant what I said" philosophy.

In any case, I wasn't trying to deviously alter what you said in an attempt to undermine you. I just thought that's what you meant by the word.

I realize that Juju. I'm sorry for the tone of my reply. I think I was having Quzah flashbacks at the time.

In truth, I don't think either of us can prove what goes on in an animals' mind. So it's all pretty much speculation.

You are absolutely correct here. It is speculation to some extent, although, science has given us a pretty good idea/theory of what goes on in some species minds which is then extrapolated out to what other species "think/feel".

Because you don't agree with me, my hypothesis is irrelevant? Can't I have more credit than that?

Once again, I'm sorry, Juju. Your hypothesis is just as relevent as mine is.

So, okay, first of all, what is the difference between a goal and a purpose?

I look at a "goal" as something one strives to attain, meaning that once that goal is reached there is an ending. You are done because you have reached your goal. I look at a "purpose" as a reason to do something, it continues on indefinately. I was trying to say that Nature's "purpose" is "species survival", which is continuous (ie.from generation to generation), not a "goal" which would have an ending point.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #130
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I'm just waiting for her to call Quzah a "mook," then all bets are off...
Syc, what's a "mook"? I'd like to know what it means before I use it on Quzah

Old 09-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #131
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by LUVBUGZ
I never bitched you out for your potty mouth, only for the diarrhea that seems to endlessly flow out everytime you open your mouth. Watch who you call a hypocrite, fuck-face.
Jesus christ. Someone has selective memory. You've got to be the stupidest mother fucker I've ever had the displeasure of running across, and believe me, I've talked to quite a number of them.

How about you pull your head out of your ass and read back a few posts if your memory is so short, because have neither the time, nor the energy to explain things in small words so you can understand it.

As for hypocrisy, perhaps you need to look up the meaning. I mean seriously, act holier-than-thou because I "swear", when you're tossing them out left and right. Get a god damn clue.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:36 PM   #132
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

quzah,

Funny isn't it, two people who have totally different views can feel the exact same towards each other. My sentiments exactly (ref quzah last post). Too bad you didn't follow through on this earlier promise (emphasis is mine),"What's wrong with paranoia? You're one of those people aren't you? I know about you guys! That's it, I'm not posting any more. I'm going to go change my legal name now and move. Quzah."

I've read this thread so many times it's ridiculous. Talking to you is like talking to a piece of shit. You just sit there and make everyone around you nauseous from your stench.

Call me a hypocrite, if you must, as long as you realize that I'm right and you're wrong.

Don't forget to go eat shit and die now you fucking asshole.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #133
Leus
Abecedarian

Talking Ah, the reminiscences...

This thread makes me feel warm inside. Remembers me early USENET flamewars.

Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #134
juju
no one of consequence

Quzah, you are a very poor communicator. Your insults pushed her into a defensive mode and turned the situation, not into a search for the truth, but a contest as to who's right and who's wrong.

I personally hope that I am right, but I want the truth more than I want to be right. Unfortunately, it's difficult to ease people into this mindset when you're attacking them.

I only say this because I mostly agree with everything you said. But you're not exactly helping the cause of dissemination of truth.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:54 PM   #135
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Both of them need to quit flinging shit at each other. It may be too late to save Quzah, but LUVBUGZ seems to have potential.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote