The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #1396
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Gia's story haunts me. Every time I hear a mention of Carangi's Bakery I think of her. I remember seeing her in Glamour in the late seventies, and I had no idea that she was a junkie...she looked so healthy.

I even remember the last cover she did for Cosmopolitan Magazine, when she had to hide her track-marked arms. There's a book about her, too; definitely worth a read. Her story may not be so unusual; there is some weird shit that goes on in that world.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #1397
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I want to read the book. There are supposed to be documents related to her treatment reproduced in the book.

Hm. I wonder why that might be interesting to me ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #1398
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Not a DVD ... it was actually broadcast on Lifetime tonight ... Gia.

I haven't seen this since it ran on HBO in 1998.

Really weird coincidence that I turned on the TV tonight and there it was.
I caught that recently too. I'd not seen it before. Great movie. Angelina is gorgeous (as was Gia.)

I watched "Evening" this weekend. It was an Odd Lots Moveipalooza buy (which sadly is no more, went in there and all the displays are gone, so I bought two books for 50 cents apiece.)

Not a great movie, but the cast, the CAST!

Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Claire Danes, Nastasha Richardson, Vanessa Redgrave, and Mamie Gummer (who I'd really known nothing about but I looked her up and she is Streep's daughter and currently has some parts on The Good Wife) and a nice looking feller named Patrick Wilson.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #1399
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Watched "The Wave", available streaming via Netflix. I give it five stars. Here's the description from imdb:

Quote:
A high school teacher's unusual experiment to demonstrate to his students what life is like under a dictatorship spins horribly out of control when he forms a social unit with a life of its own.
I found it fascinating, so fascinating that my inability to speak German was no impediment to my enjoyment despite the fact that the contrast on the built-in subtitles was often poor (white on white) rendering them unreadable. I understand how the movie would have extra special resonance in Germany, but I found the story entirely plausible, a cautionary tale that applies equally to our society here. Strongly recommended.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #1400
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I will have to add that.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #1401
UncaDollas
Banned

UncaDollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #1402
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Netflix has added a bunch of rock documentaries featuring classic albums. Just watched Iron Maiden Number of the Beast (wonderful bit in Portmerion, btw) and Queen Night at the Opera.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1403
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Season 1 of Portlandia is the funniest goddamn thing I've seen in a long time.

Admittedly, this may be because Austin is exactly like Portland in all the ways they're making fun of, so the humor hits closer to home. Here's the opening scene of the first episode:

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #1404
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Portland is a city where young people go to retire.

Looks awfully vanilla, but, Ima try it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #1405
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just saw Dark Shadows. Far less awful than I expected, but I'm still not happy. Loved the crusty old sea captain cameo ... somebody should have him on their death list, I might add him if he makes it past this year. Oh, and the original Collins family cameo, that was hip, too.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #1406
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wolf, you should check out the Dark Shadow audios. They're apparently more in keeping with the original tone.

http://bigfinish.com/ranges/released/dark-shadows

Some of their stuff is available at libraries, might be worth checking if your local library is able to get hold of them? Also, they often appear for cheap on ebay.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #1407
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Dark Shadows audio? How wonderful.

I have the series soundtrack album ... some of the tracks include Jonathan Frid and David Selby reading poetry.

When I am dead my dearest by Christina Rosetti is chilling and beautiful.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #1408
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah. There are some enhanced audiobooks (one main reader, a second voice and some sound effects) and they've recently started doing full cast audio plays.

I havent heard any of them yet, but if they're half as good as their Doctor Who and Stargate audios, they'll be a fun listen.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #1409
infinite monkey

I won't be watching freaking Termite: The Walls Have Eyes because the pre-order I put in just POOF disappeared in to thin air and BigWarriorWoman has no record that I ordered it (though I know I DID I posted about it) and the video is no longer available and they don't know if or when it will be available.

I was looking forward to it even more so than Citizen Ruth (great!) and Sleeping Dogs Lie (frightfully good considering the subject...not for everyone for sure) and a few others I got.

Effers.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1410
elSicomoro

Finished Game of Thrones and started on Treme last week. I also want to get into Lillyhammer.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies