The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 03-31-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't know if you guys ever did this on previous versions of the Cellar, but what about a physical gathering of the masses? Quite frankly, I think it would be cool to associate faces with posts. Perhaps a barbeque or something?

Just a thought...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 01:03 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's been a very successful thing in the past. The biggest problem is that people usually look to me to put this stuff together. I guess another problem is that a lot of people are accessing it from far away now, both new people and Cellar folks who lived in Philly originally but moved away.

My feeling is that we should wait until, say, the fall, to recruit more ppl.

Before the day of the Internet we had a few that got more than 20 people out.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 12:23 PM   #3
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
Before the day of the Internet we had a few that got more than 20 people out.
[/b]
And one at your place which was the subject of an article in a pretty good book: <u>The Emperor's Virtual Clothes</u>, by the uniquely named Dinty Moore.

Your humble narrator got a prominent mention, too,
Z
adamzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:16 PM   #4
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

Want to join the Spring Work Day at the community garden?

[quote]Originally posted by sycamore
I don't know if you guys ever did this on previous versions of the Cellar, but what about a physical gathering of the masses?

Well, heck, ALL of you are more than welcome to come join the Spring Work Day at my community garden on April 28th. I've got plenty of free pizza lined up and the place really is worth seeing! :-D

Here's the official news release about the day:

Spring Work Day at St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden on April 28, 2001 to celebrate National Volunteer Week.

As part of National Volunteer Week, St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden will hold our Spring Work Day on April 28, 2001 at the community garden (located behind Bethel Baptist Church at 412 Fairview Street on the North Side of Phoenixville) from 10 am until 2 pm. Lunch, donated by local pizza shops, will be served at noon to all participants!

To make the day fun for everyone, we'll feature the following range of activities, from low to intermediate to high energy, so that anyone who visits the garden that day can contribute according to their ability.

1) Weeding the Strawberry Patch/Planting Herbs -- Team Leader, Joan Brown

Low-impact, but very necessary weeding in the strawberry patch. Bring work gloves if you have them as the thistles come out easily, but do have prickles! (We still have some work gloves and trowels left over from last October's "Make A Difference Day" donations from Sear's Hardware in Phoenixville.) These folks will also plant parsley, lavender and rue in the herb garden and hang shiny CDs in the orchard to keep deer from the fruit trees (yes, this really works!).

2) Planting the Hardy Kiwis in the New Pergola -- Team Leader, Lester Beachy (expected)

Les Beachy, Seed Savers Exchange/Back Yard Fruit Growers Kiwi Expert, is not only donating 5 types of hardy kiwi for us to grow under our new pergola, he is arranging his schedule so that he can help folks prepare the soil and actually plant the kiwis! Soil prep will include placing the large cardboard from Appliance Alliance in Phoenixville under the kiwi pergola, making a small raised bed for each kiwi, planting the kiwi and caging it for protection.

3) Pruning/Planting the back of the Fenced-In Compost Area -- Team Leader, Harriet Shafer

On "Make A Difference Day" last October we pruned out the invasive, non-native honeysuckle clogging the front and sides of the fence. This time, we'll finish out the back of the fence, then construct raised planting area around the fence and plant a Virgin's Bower clematis (a flowering, fragrant plant native to the Northeast). After the last frost date, our Wednesday afternoon helpers from Ken-Crest Services in Pottstown will plant Scarlet Runner Beans along the back of the fence for even more color and fragrance this summer.

4) Wood Chip Patrol -- Team Leader, Edward O'Neill

Ed and the folks from St. Gabriel's Hall will once again take shovels and wheelbarrows in hand to haul wood chips wherever we need them during the day: to cover the cardboard under the kiwi pergola, cover cardboard around the back of the fenced-in compost area, mulch all new plantings and, if time permits, lay wood chips down for paths between garden plots. Feel free to grab a wheelbarrow and join these guys -- there's always more places to lay mulch!

5) Tree Planting

These folks will prepare the soil and plant the 2 sour cherry trees donated by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, plus the 2 American hazelnut trees and 1 shagbark hickory from the Temple University Ambler Native Plant Propagation Center.

6) Shed Placement -- Team Leader, John Kook

John will direct the placement and bracing of the 24 x 12 foot shed he is donating (and delivering) to the community garden. Once the shed is placed braced securely at the far end of the garden, it will be used to store heavy equipment need to keep the garden tidy.

The following organizations are also participating in our Spring Work Day.

Sponsors:

Philadelphia Green/Pennsylvania Horticultural Society Workshop Grant (includes 2 sour cherry trees and cages for the new plantings)
John Kook, Pottstown: Donation and delivery of 24 x 12 foot shed
TD Alfredo's Pizzeria, Phoenixville: 10 large pizzas
Domino's Pizza, Phoenixville: 10 large pizzas
Kimberton Whole Foods: Beverages for 60 people
Appliance Alliance, Phoenixville: cardboard for soil prep
Exterior Structures, Unlimited: loan of wheelbarrows and tools

Volunteer Groups:

Mitchell (community garden) Program of St. Gabriel's Hall
Circle K, West Chester University
Fairview Village Tenants' Association

Last fall's work day included folks ranging in age from 2 to 71 years old. The Spring Work Day on April 28th is a perfect time to come visit Phoenixville's only public community garden and see why we've won prizes at both the Philadelphia Flower Show and the Harvest Show! We look forward to having everyone in surrounding area join us for the day!

Do come, folks! It's worth getting out from behind your computers for the day! :-D
GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:38 PM   #5
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I'd consider that, but Phxville. is a hell of a drive from here. I wouldn't be able to pull it off.