The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
You forgot one, El ...

5) Guaranteed to either drink or do drugs on on the job. It is unclear whether this is dependence, mere recreation, or a desire to be better able to fall off a roof to generate a workmans comp claim along with a liability suit.
*That* was one of the other layers of BS to which I was referring. The laughable thing about it is all the federal regulations and insurance company policies which force us to durg test these guys. Doesn't anyone realize that if you can only hire and work drug and alcohol free roofers that there will never again be another roof completed in this country?

And in all honesty, I *know* what crappy, nasty work roofing is...if I had to do it for a living, I'd probably be a drunken drug addict, too.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #17
warch
lurkin old school

There is this obnoxious woman that I have to temporarily and only tangently work with. (thank god). She's born, raised Brooklyn, NY. She has this total stuck-up demeanor and quasi British/Irish/French wierd, fakey accent. Its a strange affectation. When she is ticked off, suddenly she swings back to Brooklyn.

There is a laid back level around here which makes most of the little ticks roll off.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:22 PM   #18
Riddil
Management Consultant

Due to a push to save money, the company decided to convert 1/2 of a factory floor into office space. Nice walls, halls, desks, etc. All propped up w/ dandy plasterboard.

The other 1/2 is used for shipping and receiving. So while you work, you get to hear trucks unloading, palettes moving, the beep-beep-beeping of forklifts, not to mention the door alarm going off every 15 minutes... all while trying talk on the phone to a customer.

Ahhhhhh, I love the modern work-environment. We have it oh so much better than those who came before us. /sarcasm
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:23 PM   #19
Thadius
Civil Civilian

The security system (inbound) at the main gate has failed once again.

The guy that parks diagonally across 2 parking slots.

Getting a call on my works mobile from a withheld number and missing the call.

The guy that has been to the toilet and managed a double somersault whilst emptying his bowls.

Washing your hands and no hand towel.

An email with no content..

A new receptionist that knows nothing.

An old receptionist that knows everything.

A coffee machine with no cups.

A coffee machine with no coffee.

A canteen lady with a tissue up her sleeve.

In the canteen having my plate cleared when have got up to get a drink.

Preparing a presentation and missing the last page.

Sitting opposite the office giggler, who sits next to the office comedian.

The office comedian.

The stapler going missing.

Reps cold calling.

Reps with no give aways.

Reps who come back after beeing told, no business thankyou.

Having to deal with the boss's reps.

Network lock up ..

A conversation with a help desk.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #20
windhund
lost in space

I hate my friggin' cubicle.

When I got hired here, I had my very own office with my very own door. Then we hired more faculty and they moved another staff member in with me to make room. Which was fine - it was a bit cramped but my co-worker is a nice person and I like her. So we made do.

Then we hired MORE faculty, and don't you know, they ALL need their very own offices. Even if they are retired, or only work part time. Our office was given to a woman who never uses it. Never. She has another office across campus where she spends 95% of her time. The only time I've ever seen her here is for faculty meetings. I'm here 40 hours a week whether I like it or not. Every time I pass by that locked door and that empty office, I feel my ass frosting over.

My co-worker and I got moved into these closet-sized cubicles in the business office. I have no door because the walls of the cube on that side are not parallel to each other. It is impossible to have a private conversation on the phone. When someone who has forgotten their password needs to call me to get it, I have to find an unoccupied area and call them back on my cell phone so I'm not sharing that information with whatever random strangers happen to be around at the time.

When I do training, there isn't enough room for both my student and I to sit at the computer, which makes everything take longer. The mailboxes and water cooler are right behind me so I get to hear people schlepping back and forth behind me all damn day. I get to the point where I am able to ignore it, and someone comes up behind me and goes "HI!" and scares the beejezus out of me.

I suppose when next summer comes and we hire yet more faculty, we'll be working in the hall.
windhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #21
kerosene
Touring the facilities

My current pet peeve would have to be that person that sits next to you and has a position entirely independent of your own but feels the need to butt into everything you do.

And then there are those people who have to tell you all of the terrible news they find about the company you work for and email it to you like constant reminders of what a shitty job they think you have.

Let us not forget the "oreo cookie" managers. They give you a nice back-handed compliment one minute, next thing you know you are in their office listening to a growling rant about meeting statistics and "the volatile state of this business" (whatever that means.) Usually another poignantly placed back-handed compliment will follow, of course.

And how about that person with the screeching voice that always seems to have a presentation in the meetings...the voice that starts to make you want to climb the walls.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #22
Cam
dripping with ignorance

People who walk by me after lunch smelling like Fried food or hotdogs. Damn that is annoying.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #23
Kris
Drawn Druid

Work

I have to say the thing that bugs me at work is being in the office pretty much by myself. My whole team is either San Jose or North Carolina based.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #24
perth
Strong Silent Type

i have a co-worker who believes absolutely everything he reads online.

"dude, we need to start looking for jobs! i read in (insert random website here) that the tech industry will never recover and that within 6 months our jobs will be obsolete!"

nevermind that its an opinion piece on some 13-year-old kids blog hosted on aol. its online and he read it so its just got to be true!

this same coworker knows absolutely everything there is to know about anything and everything even remotely related to computers. always willing to share his 'expertise' in any conversation, whether invited to or not. and when hes wrong and hes called on it, hes still not wrong. youre 'misguided'.

god i hate him.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #25
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

The people who call Helpdesk. Freaking clueless. It's a f***ing bank, people! "I'm not realy computer literate, heh, heh, heh!" No f***ing sh*t!!! never would have guessed! These are the people handling your money! Many times, these are the people managing the people who handle your money!

An analagous situation would be a mechanic who smashes everything under your hood with a hammer, then says he's not good with tools.

Carbon-based error, id10t error, keyboard-chair interface issue...
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:37 PM   #26
perth
Strong Silent Type

oh yeah, that fucking gets to me.

'ive been using this machine for 3 years now, but im not computer literate.'

'i bought this car 3 years ago, but i dont know how to drive'

'we got this knife set when we got married 30 years ago, but i just cant seem to use them without lopping off a finger'

~james
Old 02-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #27
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I work for an employer who has decided that all software engineers need to work sixty hours a week. Sixty. That's 12 hours a day, five days a week, or 10 hours a day six days a week. Other obligations be damned, we all have to work 60, at the pain of losing our jobs. Talk about taking advantage of the poor job market.

One co-worker's wife is in the hospital, recently suffered renal failure and may be near death... and they won't let him off the hook. He can't afford to lose his job and family medical benefits, so rather than spending what may be the last hours of her life with his wife, he's at work, and probably accomplishing nothing except chewing a few ulcers in his stomach lining. Hopefully he'll get FMLA going soon, but the cold, emotionless response of management here is almost enough to set off the gag reflex.

A few months ago the new CEO decided to lay off all employees on a project, about 60 of them, and told them that if they wanted their jobs back, they could re-apply for them, and renegotiate their (now lower) salary. That way they can weed out employees they don't like, and pay those they do like less money. Brilliant!

I work for pure evil. I used to have a good work ethic, but they've wrung it out of me, and what was once a good, loyal employee is now little more than a waste of space while at work. Blah.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:39 PM   #28
juju
no one of consequence

What company do you work for?

Isn't it funny how people often use the phrase, "It's just business" to excuse their actions? I believe the phrase is supposed to mean, "I am exempt from morality. So it's okay!"
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:46 PM   #29
perth
Strong Silent Type

i think theres a time and a place for saying 'its just business'. but on the other hand, jujus right, its all too often used as an excuse. im fortunate enough to work for a company that (almost) always uses that phrase correctly. pastramis company does sound like pure evil .

i understand that sometimes there have to be layoffs. often, it really is just business.

but pulling shit like enron did, telling themselves it was just business so they could sleep at night is fucked up and i hope the suffer they karmic retribution they so richly deserve.

~james
Old 02-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #30
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I think it would be imprudent of me to name my employer, sorry juju. Too many gotchas attached to that. Particularly because they are 100% pure, no-preservatives-added, I-can't-beleive-it's-not-butter EVIL. I can't afford to put my job in jeopardy at this very moment.

Hopefully good ol' Karma will take a giant shit on the decision makers, and the world will be at peace and stuff.

Hot Pastrami