The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #46
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I agree about getting an adjuster to assess the damages as soon as possible. For one of my accidents it took several days for us to connect and that whole ordeal was just fucked up. Get on them, stay on them.

Also, and I realize this is coming from one of the most picture-happy dwellars we have here, it is a good idea for you to take your own pictures. Use your digital camera or borrow one, or use your phone. You know how your car used to look, you will be able to be as thorough as you want. I actually used *my* pictures in one of my cases. Worst case, you took some pictures. Best case, you have evidence that others missed.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #47
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I called my insurance and told the lady that I was waiting on a police report, but was unsure what the next steps were.
Did you talk to the insurance company or to your insurance agent? Your agent will often help cut through any nonsense by the internal company rep. That agent should also be able to say when the company adjuster will arrive OR why the adjuster is delayed.

Meanwhile, go to autobody shops to get their estimates. You need those numbers no matter what anyone says. Now is a best time to get estimates - to even make you feel better. And to learn who are the better shops.

What is your insurance company?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #48
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's Geico. I was talking to a guy today at work who says I really need an agent. An agent will do the things I'm expecting to be done by Geico, without laying it all on my plate. I mean, isn't that what we pay for? I'm really sorry some bozo was in a huge ass hurry and rammed my car...now this has to be difficult too?

Plus I'm under fire at work (most of us are) and I don't have time to play on the phone all day or run around the planet getting estimates. It's just me, here.

But Geico was so easy to do. I can do most everything online. But I think I'll change when I'm done. My experience the first time wasn't exactly fun, either.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #49
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
Sorry to hear that IM. I hope they get him. If not, I hope you have UM/UIM coverage (Uninsured/under insured).
Thanks dmg: UM/UIM. I do have that.

I have rental car coverage, too, but now it seems I have to have a credit or debit card to do that. I've never ordered a debit card because I always would rather make myself carry cash because I'm more better at finances that way, but I am ordering one for future mishaps. And if they're not billing the driver of the car's insurance (driver who may or may not exist in a car that may or may not be his with a plate that may exist (so says Dayton Police) or may not exist (so says Geico's 'investigators') then all this is out of my pocket up front (deductible, deposit on the rental...) and my pocket is busy keeping up on a thousand other things.

Ugh. I'm bitching again.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #50
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

So, it wasn't the Camaro Mullet guy in post #37?

I thought for sure that was him.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #51
glatt

Our car got hit recently by someone with Geico insurance, and Geico was awesome. They covered everything. We got a free rental when the car was in the shop, and when an unexpected bill came up a month later related to the insurance coverage for the rental car, Geico cut us a check for the full amount. We had to give our credit card to secure the rental, and they did charge that insurance to our card, but we got the reimbursement. The charge was a mistake, and Geico made it right.

Only problem was my wife had to spend one or two 20 minute sessions on the phone with Geico during the whole deal. Holding and talking to different people and stuff.

Our car may be worth less now that it was hit, but we're never going to trade this car in, so I don't really care about that so much. The shop did a great job.

We never had to involve our (State Farm) agent.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #52
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I've been in a couple accidents and the rental car company tried that CC or DC routine with me as well.
Call Geico while at the rental place. Bitch, complain and treat the fuckers like they are ... well ... me
I got the rental car every time without having to give my card.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #53
infinite monkey

Classic, when you're right you're right.

I was telling my mom about the Geico not finding the plate, but the police did. I was upset. Dealing with this crap is not my forte. No matter how I try I seem to get it all mixed up. Add to that some things going on at work and I just wanted to give up.

But mom told dad about it and he was pissed. Now, I know I'm their daughter and they love me, but they too see that I tend to get screwed over. Probably a lot of this is due to my inability to 'deal' but still, you pay the premiums you expect service. So they contacted an attorney. Attorney specializes in such matters. He will get the police report and contact the insurance. This takes a huge load off my mind.

I wonder sometimes that, when or if something really catastrophic happens, I will find I am stoic beyond all recognition...or if my level of inability to deal will reach unknown proportions. I'm really just doing the best that I can, but it never seems like it's quite enough.

I'm so lucky to have a wonderful family and friends. This is why I find this world liveable. Sometimes even likeable. Thanks all.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #54
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

IM, when you're welcome you're welcome.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #55
infinite monkey

Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #56
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Is this the guy that hit you?

He could be the culprit, except it's not the 70s and I didn't see him. Witnesses described him as a large white male.

But I've said too much. Shhhhh.

Now will you answer my question?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #57
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Late to the party, sorry.
But, oh Infi, I really feel for you. Shitty thing to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Never once, not freaking once in my entire life, has anything ever happened to me where there wasn't something like this: something so weird and screwed up that it throws a wrench in the works that should be running smoothly.
I feel this on occasion too. There have been so many times when I've had to make calls, follow things up, have extra appointments, make complaints etc. When I was hit by a car, when I went onot benefits, when I switched benefits, when I tried to register with a Doctor when I was due a tax refund etc etc etc. And I very often heard "That should go through automatically." No. It hasn't. LISTEN.

When things are bad nothing ever seems to go through properly.
It's just we remember the disasters and the frustrations more than the smooth runnings. That's no bloody help to you now though. So you have my full sympathy and much love.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #58
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Yeah, enough of this whinging and moaning. How many times have you driven to work WITHOUT some stoopid doofus smashing into you, eh? Count yer blessings.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #59
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Infinite - i tried to comment last night but typing anything more than a bit is a fucking pain in the ass on this kindle. I want you
To know i think this is very shifty indeed and u r in my thoughts!

See? I want to write shit tee and this fucking thing changes it!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #60
infinite monkey

I laughed heartily at Zen's comment. Listen, when your entire family is like "Um, enough with your bad luck" and they KNOW I can fuck just about anything up...that's saying something.

I'm twitchy about driving into work now. I'm a defensive driver. I keep an eye out for what other drivers are doing or "might" do. But you can't anticipate idiots. I mean, you can anticipate that they're there, but you can't anticipate the lengths to which their idiocy will go.

Thanks Sundae and Bri. I think I'll be OK and it's time to stand up and say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." It's like chinese water torture...drip, drip, drip. Oh, you not have enough? More drip, drip, drip. Well, I've had enough.

*apologies if it's politically incorrect to refer to chinese water torture