Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Beauty Tips/Tricks?

Any tried and true tricks/tips?

I'm still searching for the perfect foundation. I want one thats sheer but offers decent coverage.

I havent been good to my skin in the past, no hats or sunscreen when I was younger, getting a good dose of burning in every summer, and hours n hours spent in the blistering Aussie sun.

Now, I wear sunscreen under my makeup everyday and do wear a hat.

I dont drink enough water and I often go to bed with my makeup on.

I do swear by Palmers Moisturizing Body Oil, I put it in the bath or rub on before I get out of the shower....it smells devine and makes my skin feel lovely.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
rkzenrage

Believe it or not, that mineral base that they sell on TV works great, you can get it at Origins too. Pretty sure it's called "Bare Minerals". My wife uses it, she has rosatia and she loves it. It holds very well and has a nice look. It blends well, which is a big thing for me.
I used Philosophy make-up for close-up theatre and print work. It is my favorite, by far. (It was originally designed for burn victims and people with allergies. Print make-up artists discovered it and it exploded in the art scene... I'm going to stop now or I'll write a book on it)
If I could not get that, Mac... but I don't like anything with aluminum in it.
I really like Mac brushes and real hair, high-end painters brushes the best.
I would try those three for foundation. They are expensive, but all three don't take much... so don't be daunted.

What kind of tips are you looking for?
Moisturizing is paramount. Use NOTHING with oatmeal. Cool teabags or cukes on the eyes really works. (save mint and/or green tea after you use it, put it in a zip bag or plastic tub in the fridge), works & feels great on tired looking eyes. It is also an awesome excuse to have a bit of down time... you can't be disturbed while blind.

Go to bed with your make-up on huh?
Every so often you need a steam. Pot of very hot water on your table (trivet), towel over your head and steam your face for as long as you can stand it.
While water is still hot dip towel into it, not so hot it will burn you -duh, wrap it around your face, then go to your bathroom and wash your face with good cleansing face wash.
The best I have found is actually very inexpensive and lasts forever. Oil of Olay for sensitive skin. It comes in a pump at grocery stores and local drug stores.
If you put a bit of mint tea into the water it will help your pores to open and help it work.
The first couple of times you do this you may break-out a bit... brings a lot of dirt out.
I did it a lot, used a lot of oil based make-up every night, yuck.

Oh, put the moisturizer on, sparingly, after you get out of the shower... seals in the moisture, better for your skin and lasts longer.
It works very well with just a bit of baby oil, either kind, but I like the cream. Sure it will work fine with yours though.

Warm-up a bit of olive oil, microwave works well... wait until it is just very warm. Rub it into your hair and scalp. Let sit for an hour or two. Wrap in towel so you don't drip.
Wash out, lightly condition. Glow. This works very well if you have any scalp problems at all.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-24-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I use oil of olay every night before I go to bed and never go to sleep with makeup on. There's nothing that makes my skin feel worse I reckon.

I've just discovered a brilliant moisturizer by Shisedo which is called Future Solution. It's fantastic, so I'm going to swap to that for my night time and use the olay for during the day because you can get one with a sunscreen in it.

The best foundation is not a foundation. Again it's Shisedo and it's called powdery foundation. It's like a powder compact but all I do is put on my daily moisturizer and then a light dusting of powdery foundation over the top. I have found it to be the best because it doesn't make my skin feel greasy through the day, and it seems to stay on and not get creases so quickly.

Drink lots of water. That'll give you the clearest complexion of all. I can always see it in my face when I haven't been drinking enough water.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Wow RK, you are a wealth of information. I am looking into those foundations ...thanks

Ali - shall have a look at that Shisedo powder. I actually have the Jane Iredale powder, blush n eyeshadow...and quite like it. The powder just doesnt even out the complexion enough for my liking.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Time to treat yourself to a visit with the local aesthetician. He or she -- if they are worth a salt (Dead Sea, preferably )-- should be able to do a facial using the correct exfoliant for your skin type and then all the rest of the nine yar... I mean metres. Just ask them for a list of the products used.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I do go get a dermabrasion (sp?) mthly and an oxygen kiss facial.

I just got this stuff called The Mini Lift...its awesome!!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Believe it or not, --snip--

Warm-up a bit of olive oil, microwave works well... wait until it is just very warm. Rub it into your hair and scalp. Let sit for an hour or two. Wrap in towel so you don't drip.
Wash out, lightly condition. Glow. This works very well if you have any scalp problems at all.
Not!

Dude, you had me goin until that part about hair care.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Cloud

hot oil treatment--time tested and beneficial, particularly for coarse, dry hair
Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I once got a big jar of coconut oil, but I forgot it at my mother's house and she tossed it after a few months. I don't really have dry hair; I mostly wanted to be coconut-scented. Would coconut oil be too intense for non-dry hair?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
I'm still searching for the perfect foundation. I want one thats sheer but offers decent coverage.
Foundation doesn't sit well on my skin for some reason, so I just use a coverstick where I need it, and dust on translucent powder. I end up blotting it all off by the end of the day, of course.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

put a chapstick (with sunscreen) in the ashtray of your car (or in a similar position if you smoke), and a huge pump moisturizer in the driver's door pocket or in the console between the passenger and driver. Apply at red lights. Chapstick at short lights, moisturizer to hands (and face if no makeup) at longer ones.

Also have sunscreen in the car.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
Cloud

baking soda mixed with a little liquid soap makes a wonderful and cheap exfoliator.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

I use oatmeal as a mask - make it pasty and apply to face, let dry, wash off, or egg whites. Tea bags on the eyes (get your mind out of the gutter) are great and refreshing, more so than cucumbers. Epsom salts are great for a foot/hand soak - leaves skin soft.

Foundation: I'm part Native American so I have a darker complexion and have a hard time matching make-ups to my skin tone. I have sensitive and oily skin and I'm also frugal, so I use a water based Almay product. I slightly dampen my make-up sponge before applying foundation because I hate thick foundation and only need minimal coverage.

Powder: I mix an Almay translucent powder (which is never really translucent) with a bronzing powder to get the right color. It adds a sunkissed glow and works well with my skin tone.

Cleansers: I do spend more on the cleansers. I love Clinique's facial cleanser in a pump bottle that I keep in the shower. I also use Clinique's toner. I have 2 bottles - one for oily skin that I use in the spring/summer/fall and then a lighter, more moisturizing one in the winter when my skin gets really dry. Several local department stores have sales on the Clinique merchandise once a month or so so I get it cheaper than the regular price. I like it because it doesn't dry out my skin - seems to get the job done without the harshness of other products. I used to use witch hazel but I just can't stand the smell - it makes my stomach turn.

Moisturizer: Oil of Olay makes me a zit face. I use either a Mary Kay product in a white bottle, or usually I use this seaweed crap in a blue/green jar from Bath and Body Works - and it smells real nice.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

I love Bare Minerals foundation. I also love the Body Shop concealer, especially because it isn't tested on animals.

One of my favorite skin tips: to avoid those little red bumps after shaving your legs, mix a small amount of cortisone cream in with lotion and rub it on your legs before they're completely dry. Makes them smooth and beautiful.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #15
Cloud

Read, "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by Paula Begoin.