The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #121
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My Dad is dyslexic, so I haven't included some of his classics as it's not fair..... But Michelle Pettifer (Pfeiffer) made me laugh.

Sandwich is often pronounced Samwitch here. I can hold my hand up to it myself (have sat here saying it repeatedly under my breath - I think my colleagues are looking up Witchfinder General on Yell.Com)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:05 AM   #122
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Ah yes, dyslexia pops up in my family quite a bit. My sister used to write her friend Toby's name as ybot, so here it is 20 years later and I still call him ybot. It sounds like eebot.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #123
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm not sure how common the phrase "Wolf it down" is, but even if you haven't heard it before you will agree it creates a clear mental image of the way someone is eating.

Today I heard someone say "Woof it down". Not only is ait wrong but it's stupid!

The worst thing is the little voices inside my head seem to like it and it's been circulating all day. Grrrrrrr - and I mean that literally.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #124
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Woof it down and wolf it down, seems to be pretty interchangable around here.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #125
mrnoodle
bent

This isn't a mispronounced word, but a mangled turn of phrase. I used to work for a very sweet woman who was in all ways refined, correct, and educated. Cept fer one thing. You know the phrase "Six of one, half dozen of the other"? It means "It doesn't matter, it's all the same to me." She said it as, "Half of six, a dozen of the other" and COULD NOT be convinced of the correct version.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #126
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Thought of a couple more this evening.

Species. Its not spee-shees. Its spee-sees. Also when people sign a card or type in an email "congrads". There is no D in congratulations.

Shoooot, I had a couple more, but I've lost them.

Axe me later.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #127
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers
There is no D in congratulations.
There is if you just barely missed flunking out before graduation.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 AM   #128
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I've only heard it a couple of times... perhaps it makes more sense with repetition. It still seems wrong to me - woof is a sound, made while exhaling. How can it apply to the process of ingestion?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #129
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I've known many people who in general pronounced the word "wolf" without the L. It may be that if they wrote it down you'd see they at least knew the correct word to use, even if they couldn't say it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:16 AM   #130
Nunya
Lead Subordinate

Do you ever mispronounce words to purposely irritate your foreign friends? I do. One of my French friends hates it when Americans pronounce French words incorrectly. One day we were having a party and she was making crepes. I made sure to have a reason to say croissant, but I pronounced it "croy-SANT" just to see what she would do. She screamed,"CWASOOOO!!!" and then threw a crepe at me. Then I said, "Hey! Quit throwing creaps at me!" She did refrain from throwing the skillet at me.
Nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #131
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ah, another reason not to befriend the French!

Welcome, Nunya!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:43 AM   #132
Nunya
Lead Subordinate

Thanks!
Nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:39 AM   #133
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Jaguar, my very silly dear easily patronized fellow, if you're going to be so ignorant of Latin that even I can do it better than you can, what is to be done with you?

Ignorami if I want it that way. If it's nonstandard, well, it's nonstandard, with all the caveats appertaining thereunto.

You're trying too hard, kid.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 12-26-2005 at 03:42 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #134
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

On a related topic, I would like to express my frustration with the substitution of two similar words, not just in speech but in writing.

I have seen at least two different posts by two allegedly different Cellar users in which the word 'loose' is substituted for the word 'lose'.

While not of earth shattering significance, this still upsets me.

I have noticed the tendency to switch around homophones. For example, I have seen people substitute "your" for the contraction "you're" a lot, as in "I think your going too far." I have grown to accept this as a natural mutation of the English language.

In the case of loose and lose, the words do not even sound the same when pronounced correctly. They are not homonyms, synonyms, antonyms, or any other kind of -nym. They have no relationship to each other except for sharing a subset of letters in the same order.

I realize that if this is the most troubling thing I have seen recently, then I am leading a charmed life, but for some reason it annoys me. One hope for the Internet is that it would return the world to the age of letter writing, when 'a stern letter to the Times' and the keeping of journals left a historical record of the thoughts of generations.

Unfortunately, the sloppiness people use in speech has crossed over into writing. I am not talking about typos, or even using slang like typo instead of typographical error. I am not even talking about poor sentence structure with concepts like dangling participles. Everyone breaks those, including a huge number of authors. My second grade English teacher would be appalled at the structure of most of my posts.

If it turns out that the people who are doing this are ESL, than I am very sorry that I brought this up. If I was in a forum writing in Spanish and I substituted perro for pero and someone ranted about it, I could honestly say I was trying my best.

Still I figure I should bring it up before it ends up on a resume or application letter.

Now that I think about it, I might have ranted about this a few years ago about the same two words. It might be time to search the Cellar archives.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 01-06-2006 at 05:19 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #135
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hang lose, Rich......you've nothing to loose.