The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #361
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentApathy View Post
I've only heard ONE in this thread say that a firearm has been necessary to preserve their life.
To be fair, there's been a few other people on the Cellar who've said that.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #362
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
You get what you get because your arguments are all crime- and genocide-friendly, Spexx.
You give what you give because your arguments are all murder- and violence-friendly, Urb.

Quote:
You prove, at length, redundantly, and ad nauseam that your morals just aren't what they could be, nor what you suppose them to be.
Thankfully, my morals just aren't what they could be - they could be anti-humanity, like yours.

Quote:
That's called having a disconnect in your brain.
At least I have a brain and twice your IQ.

Quote:
The rest of us, happily, are better adjusted.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #363
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Here's a link to the shooter's violent plays posted by the AOL employee and student there:

http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/...ng-huis-plays/
Here is Stephen King's take on Cho's writing.
Caution, there's a picture of a girl in a bikini on the top of the page.
http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=2193
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #364
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
You give what you give because your arguments are all murder- and violence-friendly, Urb.

Thankfully, my morals just aren't what they could be - they could be anti-humanity, like yours.

At least I have a brain and twice your IQ.

Ignorance is bliss.
Wrong. Everyone here but you knows that. Having no actual rebuttal, you resort to bitchery, thereby condemning yourself.

For instance: for a brain, you have a hoplophobic neurosis and no connection with the realities of armed self defense, as all our previous dispute has made clear. Never credit yourself with intelligence when you're busily refusing to use any.

Pro-self-defense is anti-humanity? You're over the edge.

I've decided to prevail shoud someone want to murder me. You aren't going to, and you're immoral enough to ask that I take your view of it. Hell no.

Your careful ignorance is lethal -- to you. My careful knowledge will aid me.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 04-26-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #365
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Campuses have many other resources to prevent crime, rape, etc, that normal society doesn't
Not very effective resources, however. It's hard to really say, since a lot of college campuses don't report crimes to the local municipality, since they aren't involving the "townies", and don't make their internal crime statistic information available.

Things have probably changed, but on starting college, I went to a seminar in which the Campus police explained "how to say no to a rapist and survive," which primarily consisted of instructions on how to disable or kill your attacker. This was 1980 and the campus police were admitting they were powerless to stop crime on campus. (this was even a few years after they were allowed to carry their guns on the campus after 4pm. Yes, that was a real regulation. The place I went, the campus police were actually sworn police officers, not just security guards)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #366
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

You must be wrong. I didn't read a word you said, but I'm sure you're wrong. Therefore, you're also a stupid cunt. That's the way it rolls around here.

Bye cunt fuck whore.

Ban me ban me, shove it up your ass and fan me.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #367
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Ban me ban me, shove it up your ass and fan me.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #368
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Yeah, all the guys in the projects steal from people for the fun of it. Then why do they steal if it isn't for need?
The "need" for money for crack or heroin or to establish primacy in a gang territory is not the same kind of "need" that Jean Valjean had when he stole the bread to feed his family.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #369
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Cowardice is avoiding situations that put you in danger.
Absolutely not. Avoiding situations that put you into danger is called "tactical thinking." Sometimes, despite our best efforts to avoid such, that dangerous situation presents itself. Cowardice would be complying with an attackers demands when you have the means at your disposal to deal with that situation.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #370
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's carryover from another thread. She's not over her tantrum yet.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #371
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Wolf - I can't be certain but I think campuses do a lot more for student's safety in the past because I know for a fact there are more things you can do except learning how to disable someone with a gun or a knife. The number of crimes that could have been prevented with a gun is very low because of how college crime works. If you are trigger happy and paranoid the chances of shooting an innocent horny drunk teenager skyrockets since they will tend to violate people's privacy but not go far enough to actually hurt someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The "need" for money for crack or heroin or to establish primacy in a gang territory is not the same kind of "need" that Jean Valjean had when he stole the bread to feed his family.
Yes, there is a difference but you can not assume that all the crime is from that.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:43 AM   #372
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
I've only heard ONE in this thread say that a firearm has been necessary to preserve their life. The rest, like me, have said that we aren't afraid and many of us, me included, do not even own a gun. I leave my windows open and my doors unlocked the vast majority of the time. Don't judge ME by a minority group of people who are either paranoid or choose to live in bad areas of the cities they live in.
I am sorry if I misjudged you but I see americans as crazy with the crime.

Quote:
We get it: you are 16, idealistic, and scared to death of the average Joe's ability to use reason and logic.
Correction.. I'm scared to death of the average Joe's ability to get a gun and use it.

Quote:
The US is unlikely to change its policies on the right of citizens to arm themselves, since it was something the founding fathers saw as important enough to put in the documents created in the founding of this country, regardless of how brilliant a 16 year old thinks she is in knowing what is best for an entire nation of people!
Did they have this in mind when 230 years later armed gangs roamed the streets? Or when 1 in 5 women are raped? Did they expect crime in america to be so out of control by now that everybody needed guns?

Quote:
So you have two years, maybe less, until you are a legal adult and can get the hell out of the United States of Wyatt Earp of your own accord.
I just left thank you

Quote:
Think about this for a minute: is your father an idiot to have moved his family to a gun-totin' country like the US, or did he have good reason to come here? Perhaps all isn't as rosy in Hong Kong as you would like to think? I have some friends from HK who would argue that life is much, much better here, and they have been around the block many more times than you have.
My dad moved here for greed only not because america is woohoo.
And you have friends from hong kong huh? What did they do? where did they work? Were they mid level?

Quote:
You say in your profile that you are a simple person who sees the world in simple terms. It might be time for a broader world view, since the world is far from simple and to dumb it down to the level of simplicity is to close your mind to things you don't know. And trust me, at 16, there is a whole lot that you don't know.
Yes I was made fun of for my simple view before. But you complex guys who pretend to know what you are talking about don't really say anything do you? Your time is spent pointing out how simple or stupid somebody like me is.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #373
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Correction.. I'm scared to death of the average Joe's ability to get a gun and use it.
Did they have this in mind when 230 years later armed gangs roamed the streets? Or when 1 in 5 women are raped? Did they expect crime in america to be so out of control by now that everybody needed guns?
As your second paragraph alludes to, its not the average Joe you should be afraid of. Average Joes aren't the ones committing most of the gun crime. And the armed gangs that you imagine are taking over America's streets at sunset are a fiction of Hollywood. Besides, gang members aren't legal gun owners now nor would they be even if the most draconian of gun control laws came to be.

And the founding fathers lived in a society substantially more violent and threatening than the one we live in now. Part of - a lot of- the reason America has prospered as it has is because the founding fathers were very distrustful of the government and gave it as little power as they could since government authority comes at the direct expense of individual freedom.

I mean who would you trust - the half-wit millionaire club running America today with its religious zealots, Marxists who don't even understand Marx, petty men fueled by greed, power brokers, men of limited intelligence, men who worship empty ideologies they don't understand or men such as Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and James Monroe - the forward-thinking visionary architects of the most powerful nation in world history.

If the clowns in Washington today don't want to screw up the little country club they have built for themselves at the expense of those they supposedly govern then they are advised not to screw with the one we citizens were given by the men who made this whole thing possible.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #374
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Yes, America might have been more violent back then but it is still different.

Back then no one could shoot up 32 people in a row. They could get maybe one and then they would have to reload for 20 seconds before they could get another shot off.

Back then a citizen was just as good as a soldier then the soldier's were if not better. Now, I would like to see a group of people armed with handguns stop a swat team or a tank. The army is much more powerful and a rebellion would end in a slaughter instead of a fight. The only way to fight now is extreme guerilla tactics that deal more with explosives then guns. Rifles would be somewhat useful but even I will fight to not have them banned.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #375
freshnesschronic
Professor

Ducky you want to hear something you don't want to hear?

You are too young to judge such an issue as banning guns in this country AND you don't know enough about the United States to tell us to ban guns and call us "rampant" with violence. The truth is, you are ignorant in your opinions on the USA and guns. That's the truth. We aren't judging Hong Kong, but you are judging the US with little substantial evidence only by "your simple terms". And you think "americans are crazy with crime?" That has to be the most retardeded thing I have ever heard in my life. Like literally, my IQ dropped 10 points by hearing someone actually say that. Seriously. You are one of the most ignorant people I have ever read posts by. A 16 year old who knows how we should run OUR country when she doesn't even know what our country is about.

Case closed.

NEXT!

Last edited by freshnesschronic; 04-27-2007 at 01:35 PM.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote