The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 05-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #46
Torrere
a real smartass

Hey...

If we have so many poets finding the Cellar lately, perhaps we could create a place to post poetry.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:50 PM   #47
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
If we have so many poets finding the Cellar lately, perhaps we could create a place to post poetry.
We already do for the most part. All the poets here are free to post their poems in the Entertainment thread. Be mindful though...the Cellar can be a tough crowd. But if anything, it'll offer poets a chance to receive critical review, which would occur in the publishing world anyway.

I took the thread created by across boundaries and merged it into this thread, since we've been discussing ILP and Noble House here. I've also altered the thread title slightly in hopes that more poets will see this thread.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:17 PM   #48
kvonmc
Recruit or Something

I think I am going to send in this poem for Nobel House to publish; they also can shove it up their corporate asses.

The rise of anarchy fills my eyes,
Condemning me with your circle of lies,

Giving me letters, feeding me lines,
With the only intentions of dollar signs,

Greedy Green eyes and a Dirty Black heart,
You’re putting all my poems in a shopping cart,

Making money off of endless talent,
Demoralizing your character, far from gallant,

Don’t get too comfortable with your evening slumber,
You’ve got the money, but we’ve got the number.

(c)Kevin McElroy

Last edited by kvonmc; 05-19-2003 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:20 AM   #49
dave

I like it!

Old 05-20-2003, 12:58 PM   #50
LuckyJoe
Non-Newbie Sort

I like the poem as well. Keep up the good work. I wonder how many of us poets have wrote poems about poetry.com. I know I've wrote one, looks like you wrote this one with poetry.com in mind.
*and the wheels begin to turn*
Watch out for smoke I've got my mind going again. I've been thinking about starting a site for us poets. Not knowing how to get enough poets to the site is the only reason I haven't. That and just like everyone here we as poets like to know what we're getting into before we jump. Once burnt, twice shy. If I decide I'm going to get this idea going I'll let everyone know.

Anyone who would like to take a look at some of my work I have a few months worth on my site. Feel free to look www.e53.org/lucky http://www.e53.org/lucky
Old 05-20-2003, 09:04 PM   #51
elSicomoro

Yeah, that was pretty good. I can't really say I have any anger towards either Noble House or their American counterpart though...give me a second...

Nope...not feeling it. Maybe I can write something that pokes fun at them.

A site for starving poets would be good...I'd contribute. All of my poems are located on my site, which can be accessed by hitting the "www" button below this post.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #52
warch
lurkin old school

Dedicate your works to Nigel Hillary. Thats such a great name.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #53
cypress
Neophyte-in-training

isp and noblehouse scam

hello fellow poets,
I'm new to this site. I too was in search of hope that I had not been scammed. Unfortunately for me, I checked after my ego and check for 57dollars left for the empire state building. All I ever wanted to be since age 9 was a poet. Now, after money spent and deflated ego I have to hang my head in defeat. I don't know how to become recognized for my abilities from this day forward. I want my 15 minutes of fame. I deserve it. We deserve it. What horrible bullshit about the convention and that damn silver bowl. Oh wait, the medallion and your name in lights at the freakin lazer show. "A hush falls over the" bullshit. I am so pissed. I really thought someday my words might have meaning. I better sign off. I need maalox. This whole thing upset my GERD!
Cypress
Old 05-22-2003, 02:29 PM   #54
kvonmc
Recruit or Something

Ok I just finished a new place for us poets to go to, Deticated to poetry. Please come over and check it out. I will try to make it a great place to go to, I'm also always up for suggestions too. It's up and running so please check it out. You can post, read, critique, and rate poems; also talk about the different publishing companies. Thanks, Kevin

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/251068

Last edited by kvonmc; 05-22-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:19 AM   #55
elSicomoro

Nice job Kevin. I'll probably post something over there soon.

Cypress, chalk it up to a learning experience. In the end, you "lost" $57, which in the grand scheme of things, is small.

As far as getting recognized, the easiest ways IMO are by creating your own site (like myself) or by posting them in various forums. Of course, to get truly recognized, you'd be wise to do some of the things I mentioned earlier in this thread, which isn't cheap. Do they have little cafes in upstate NY where you can ply your trade? And it doesn't hurt that you're relatively close to NYC either (more or less).

Of course, you could always post it here on the Cellar with the caveat I mentioned in a previous post. A lot of people from all over the world visit here.

Think of yourself as one of those "unsigned bands." You never know who will read your work in the end.

Several years ago in college, I had the pleasure of meeting William Trowbridge, a professor at Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, who happens to be a poet as well. Three of his collections are available through Amazon. Great guy, awesome poet, but I regret not talking to him about what it really takes to "make it." At the time, I was a college student, not knowing what the fuck I was going to do with my life, and I didn't really give much consideration to writing.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:18 PM   #56
elSicomoro

You know, I STILL haven't received my proof from Noble House.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe Random House Googled too
If they did, you're on their shit list, Syc.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #58
cypress
Neophyte-in-training

upstate ny

Sycamore,
When I say upstate ny, I really mean it. I'm about 3 1/2 hours away from the city. I wouldn't go down there especially now if you paid me. Years ago, I went down on a couple of road trips. I have been all over this country and, lived in the south, west coast, and mid west. I prefer new england. I was in the army for a few years. Anyway, I'm not worried about the 57dollars. I just don't like to be made a fool of. I went to Kevin's site and posted a poem. Over there, I'm cyprus 17. This whole computer thing is so new to me, It took me some time to remember how to use this site. I think this is a great outlet though. I'm glad I found you guys. I should thank noblehouse for that. Cypress
Old 05-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #59
colhar
Kinda New Member

Wink Another Poet Finds The Cellar

I also found this site whilst looking for Noble House Publishing and they do have a website now (which doesn't tell you anything much). They have no phone contact in London either - I tried.

It IS Poetry.com and ILP who are behind this. My old physical address was used to send me good ole Nigel's letter. Only poetry.com and ILP have this address. So where did ole Nige get it from as it isn't posted on their website?

Another bit of proof!!!

But thanx for a great site - at least not so Noble Publishers led me here.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:07 PM   #60
elSicomoro

File under "bastards"

Dear Terry,

Because you requested that we notify you of important poetic events, I am delighted to inform you that in just a few weeks, we will be honoring your poetic accomplishments at poetry.com’s and the International Society of Poets’ Summer Convention and Symposium, to be held in the United States Capital, Washington, D.C., from August 15-17, 2003.

When you attend the Convention and Symposium, you will present your poetry in front of your fellow poets from around the world (Our last convention was celebrated by over 2500 poets from 58 countries worldwide!), and you will be presented with your Outstanding Achievement in Poetry Silver Award Cup.

The Award is a magnificent work of art (a $200.00 value) that measures over 11 inches across and over 17 inches high, handcrafted in silver, with your name custom-engraved on a beautiful cherry wood base (see it here). I’m sure it will merit a special place of pride in your home. Your award is so large and heavy that you may wish to bring an extra suitcase to carry it home!

And Terry . . . there's much more . . .

In recognition of your poetry presentation at this prestigious International Symposium, we will also create and present to you a beautiful and colorful Commemorative Award Medallion to honor your poetic dedication and achievements.

36 POETS WILL SHARE $74,000.00 TOTAL IN PRIZES--INCLUDING
THE SINGLE LARGEST POETRY CASH PRIZE EVER AWARDED--$20,000.00!

And don't forget the most lucrative amateur poetry contest ever! Your contest entry poem can be written in any style, on any subject . . . and can be up to 40 lines long.

Just think . . . for this poem alone, you will have the opportunity to win one of 36 cash and gift prizes to be awarded at the Symposium . . including a Grand Prize of $20,000.00--the largest cash prize ever awarded in an amateur poetry competition. There's also a Second Prize of $5,000.00, two Third Prizes of all-expenses paid vacations for two, including a Caribbean cruise and a trip to Cancun, Mexico, a Fourth Prize of $1,000.00, and six other cash prizes of $500.00 each. World-renowned Pulitzer Prize-winning poet W.D.Snodgrass and movie star Mickey Rooney will be with us to congratulate poets and present the Grand Prize.

Your society is also encouraging today's youth to develop and utilize their poetic talents in a positive manner. This year we will award five $1,000.00 cash scholarships to talented young poets attending the Symposium.

Our editors and professors will also be searching for new poetic talent. Twenty poets will be "discovered" in the contest reading sessions. These winners will be awarded publishing or recording contracts that will generate international exposure for their poetic artistry.

In all, $74,000.00 in cash and prizes will be awarded at this single event!

LIGHTS . . . CAMERA . . . ACTION!

And that's still just the beginning . . . we've got three very special days planned for you . . . ones you'll never forget!

**You will be officially inducted as an honorary "International Poet of Merit" for 2003.

**You and your poetic achievements will be honored at two Gala Banquets and Award Ceremonies.

**You will enjoy dazzling entertainment shows created especially for you featuring Hollywood living legend Mickey Rooney, members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Drifters, legendary Motown singing group, the Marvelettes, plus other special surprise entertainers. These special command performances will thrill and delight you. There will also be lots of other entertainment, including Midnight Dance Parties on both Friday and Saturday nights!

**Hollywood icon and legendary star of the silver screen, Mickey Rooney, will entertain and inspire us throughout the weekend.

**You will learn more about your craft in seminars, reading rooms, rap sessions, and workshops, where you can read and discuss your poetry in informal settings with other poets from all over the world. Back by popular demand are the ISP rap rooms, our famous sunrise poetry readings, the ISP Coffee House, the ISP Open Microphone Rooms, and workshops on how to fine-tune your poetic talents.

**You will have the rare opportunity to get up-close and personal with the Pulitzer Prize-winning poet W.D. Snodgrass, Dr. Herbert Woodward Martin, Mattie Stepanek, and Dr. Len Roberts, who will also be reading their own work.

**You will participate in a fantastic international poetry competition featuring 35 prizes totaling $74,000.00. A Grand Prize of $20,000.00, two all-expenses paid vacations for two, including a Caribbean cruise and a trip to Cancun, Mexico, 8 other cash prizes totaling $9,000.00, 10 poetry recording contracts, 10 book publishing contracts, and 5 Young Poets Scholarship prizes will be awarded at this single event.

**You and your guests will also be eligible to win one of many door prizes, valued at over $6,000.00.

**You will make friendships that will last a lifetime and will return home with wonderful memories, your Outstanding Achievement in Poetry Silver Award Cup, your Commemorative Award Medallion, and lots of other special gifts.

DON'T BE LEFT OUT

Don't miss this opportunity. Space is limited, and our Conventions routinely sell out. Plan to join your fellow poets in the United States Capital, Washington, D.C., August 15-17, 2003 for the poetic event of the year! I am also looking forward to meeting you and celebrating the power and beauty of poets and poetry!

Sincerely,
Steve Michaels
International Society of Poets
Convention Chairperson