The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #16
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I'm not a big Best Buy guy, unless I'm buying simple retail goods. Their customer service is notoriously bad. (On the plus side, the local one is in Delaware -- no taxes -- and they're the only ones I've found who have the Sony deck I mentioned in stock at $219.)

Circuit City... well, if I could GET to one of their stores, they might be an option. Whoever chose the store locations and/or designed their sites locally was a crack-fed lunatic.

Of the three nearest my apartment, #1 is near Valley Forge, and while it has decent parking, you have to deal with nasty 202 traffic and jockey for position on Swedesford Road just to get near the place. #2 is in Springfield -- which says enough right there. (Springfield's civil engineers designed the local highway layout during an all-night peyote binge.)

#3 is in Wilmington, DE, right down the street from the Best Buy, and it would be my preferred location IF I could actually _park_ there. The lot is incredibly small for a retail store and fills up in 3 1/2 seconds; I've had to bail out of shopping trips there and go elsewhere in NORMAL times after circling the lot for fifteen minutes. During the Xmas rush? Forget it. It'd be like an Eagles game where only a couple dozen parking places were available.

Apart from Best Buy, Tweeter, Circuit City and perhaps Sears, I'm not sure where else to look here in suburban Philly...
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:37 PM   #17
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
[b]www.crutchfield.com
The latest buy was exactly what you're looking for: a $200 MP3 unit, and I bought the Clarion that Crutchfield has the special on right now.
You'd better be right -- I just ordered one. (It was roughly comparable to the Sony, though it didn't have XM-compatibility (which I won't shed a tear over) or a remote.) Their return policy seems fair enough, so now I'll have 30 days to figure out how to install the damn thing.

(I entered Wendy's 1996 Ford Contour on the web site and it seems to think it'll be quite compatible and an easy install, but they haven't met me yet.)
Old 12-16-2002, 09:40 PM   #18
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Trust me, you'll do fine, and if you have problems call them, they are excellent at helping you out.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:45 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The one time I attempted a car stereo install (with the help of an extremely kind friend) I misunderstood the words "minor dashboard modifications" in the applications guide.

The "minor" modifications involved several large, frightening power tools and about 10 hours. Luckily the "rustic" installation gave my 1980 Datsun 210 additional "character". So did the fake switches I had installed on the dash labelled "hood mounted machine guns" and "warp drive."

Since that time I've either left well enough alone, or paid a profesional (nice fellow by the name of Jesus who was on work release for boosting stereos. He was at least as good at putting them in as he was at taking them out) to do it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:49 PM   #20
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Wolf are you trying to give the guy a heartattack. There should be no dashboard modification of the Contour as long as it follows the same standards as other Ford vehicles.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:29 PM   #21
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

According to what I'm reading, dashboard modification -- no. Soldering required on the adaptor -- yes. I'll call around locally and see who wants to tackle the project.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:55 PM   #22
hermit22
sleep.

Thanks for the recommendation ut. I'm going to have to take a good look at that Clarion.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:27 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm installing it in my wife's car this afternoon. vsp, if you don't find anyone else to do the work, you can PM me and drive up here. It's just past Phoenixville on 113.

And I just now realized that if anyone does order it, and you put in a referral code of p1rd7-tjz80-e3yyu , you will get $20 off and *I* will get $20 off my next order.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 AM   #24
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

It's in. (A local auto-detailing place put it in for $50.) I'm in the process of experimenting with the best formats for our MP3 CDs.

About the only thing I'm finding myself wishing this could do would be root-level Random Play for MP3s (i.e. one-button random track selection over all folders, not just within the current one). This means that if I want a mix CD, I have to put everything in one folder, so I may end up creating one-folder and multiple-folder discs for the same tracks. But hell, CDRs are dirt cheap these days...

Interestingly, the deck I received doesn't precisely match either Crutchfield's catalog entry for it (the catalog says it has a wireless remote) OR the deck's own manual (the faceplate shows features, such as PTY, that are not pictured in the manual). Perhaps there's more behind the price drop than meets the eye... but it's here and it works and that's good enough for me.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:13 AM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There's no remote, but PTY?

Does it say DB625MP on the front?
Old 12-30-2002, 10:11 AM   #26
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

As far as I remember. (It's at home right now, I'm not.)

Here's the difference -- look just above the dot-matrix readout. The pictures I've seen all have two icons above it -- "ST" for Stereo and "MUTE" for muting. Well, mine has four more dimmed icons to the right of MUTE, one of which was PTY. Does yours? I have no idea if the deck itself HAS PTY features, or how to enable them if it does. Apart from that, it's identical to the manual -- it's not as if there's a different Clarion deck with a similar faceplate that they might've swapped in by accident.

(The only reason it stuck out when I saw it was that my father just bought a new Chevy Trailblazer, and I was helping him decipher HIS new radio's features when I tried out PTY. On his, I can enter a type of FM station to search for (such as "Rock") and it'll automagically scan to stations that broadcast self-identifiers matching my criteria.)

The remote was not shipped, as they say, on purpose. When I compared the Sony deck I'd mentioned to the Clarion on Crutchfield's site, they specified it directly -- Clarion == no remote, Sony == remote. It's not as if it's a big loss, however.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:31 AM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Damn, you're right! The dimmed items are NEWS, AF, PTY, and TA and I don't believe I've ever seen any of them lit up.

In fact every illustration in the manual blatantly ignores these items as if they didn't exist. I'm going to guess these were planned for some higher model.

What I learned yesterday, that I didn't realize before: using the "DISP" button, while playing back MP3, you can *specify* whether the scrolling display shows the file name, folder name, title, disc name, etc.

From a first glance it looks like the "title" setting gets its information from the ID3 tag. This makes it more important to use a ripping program that fills in that information.

When I started ripping I was using cdex, which is supposed to rip CDs with a tremendous level of accuracy before converting them to mp3. But cdex didn't store files using the filenames I wanted, and often errored out for seemingly no reason. And I don't think it fills in the ID tag. Also, with cdex I had one mp3 conversion that seemed to go wrong and resulted in a burst of terrible noise. Exactly the kind of noise you don't want while driving down the road at high speeds: ugly digital noise at twice the volume of the song.

So I searched out the shareware offerings and found one that has been doing the job. It's "AltoMP3 Maker". It will rip the first 12 tracks of any disc without registration, but I registered it (at $19.95) because it was easy and does exactly what I want. If there are accuracy problems I can't detect any.

Also, it uses the Lame mp3 encoder, which is supposed to be the best.

I mention all this stuff just in case anyone finds it useful.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:04 AM   #28
hermit22
sleep.

At the risk of sending this thread into a "my mp3 encoder is better than yours" war, I'm going to recommend an encoder: Exact Audio Copy. It automagically rips from cds that are scratched beyond recognition. I've had it get (near) perfect rips from cds that I can't even play in a regular cd player. It's free, and allows the use of any external encoding software. I use lame aps, but that's just me.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:46 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How's it going with this? Are you happy? I have not mentioned that I bought the same deal for my wife for Xmas, and installed it the day after into her Altima. It did require the soldering, and it did require the removal of some plastic bits of the car. But it went well.

All of the problems I've had with it have been related to the ripping/encoding process and not the Clarion itself.

Cool thing: Memorex has these "cool colors" CDR blanks. I figured what the hell and bought them. It turns out that they have colored the dye used in the CDR processing so that now just about any color is possible. Now the really cool thing, which I did not expect: one of the colors is black.

You turn over the CD and instead of seeing shiny aluminum CD surface, or the shiny aluminum CD surface through a layer of light blue or light orange, all it looks like is a BLACK disk.

Oh for all the.... wait a sec, let me get the camera.

You see, the red disks are red underneath, and the blue disks are blue underneath, and the BLACK disks... are BLACK underneath, which is unexpected!

But I burned one, and it played OK in the player, so...

Actually when you look at the right angle, you see that it's really a very, very, very dark red. That's what the little red diagonal line is on the image there... a reflection from the aluminum layer, only the camera picks it up very well.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #30
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

PlayStation discs have been black-bottomed for years now, and I've seen similar black-bottomed CDRs at Best Buy and elsewhere.

I'd be interested in experimenting with those, as I have specific-dye-color needs for certain pursuits. (Verbatim's dark-blue discs are the absolute best for backing up my PlayStation imports, while Fuji's pale-blue dye discs are the only ones that will work when burned as VCDs in my Sony DVD player. I keep "generic" gold-backed discs around for other purposes.)