The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #3031
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

That would prompt a call from me to an administrator.
Oh and she'd believe in Santa after seeing the 50 tons of deer shit her car was buried in.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #3032
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
One of the first grade teachers at Lil Lookout's school has taken it upon themselves to announce in class that there is no santa claus.

Nothing was ruined for my kid but I'm still pissed. Who does this bitch think she is?
Unbelievable. You should involve the principal. That's treading on the parents' role. She has absolutely no right. Not her place.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #3033
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasenuak View Post
I'm a little upset b/c I'm worried about Big Sarge
Me too. I pmed him yesterday but he's still not been seen online since this post.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #3034
Pie
Gone and done

Anyone know where he is, physically?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #3035
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, that's one teacher that won't be getting too many Chrissy pressies from the kids' parents then.

I too am worried about Big Sarge. I didn't like the sound of that last "bye". I hope he is okay, maybe just taking some time off/out/away.

This sort of thing is yet another reason why I detest war and see it as an absolute last resort. I wonder how many other people there are in situations like his - got back physically in one piece, but with his life torn up. I wish I could help him.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #3036
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
One of the first grade teachers at Lil Lookout's school has taken it upon themselves to announce in class that there is no santa claus .... Who does this bitch think she is?
I'm as happy as the next person (probably more so) to engage in teacher-bashing, but I'd need to know the context before I would jump on this one.
K-1st-2nd grades are the years that kids figure it out on their own, the ones with older sibs sometimes hear about it sooner and like to enlighten their classmates, this has been going on forever.

If the teacher was put on the spot or called upon to settle an argument, wtf was she supposed do - lie? If that's not what happened, I'm supposed to believe she just decided to set the record straight for a room full of santa believers out of nowhere? I'm struggling with that.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #3037
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasenuak View Post
I'm a little upset b/c I'm worried about Big Sarge
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Me too. I pmed him yesterday but he's still not been seen online since this post.
I saw him online earlier today - I im-ed him, but he didn't respond.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #3038
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Question for Brianna - is Big Sarge OK?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #3039
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

What's upsetting me?

My stomach. it's extremely unhappy with me.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #3040
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'm floundering on my dissertation. I'm all over the place and I think I've chosen a topic that is conceptually challenging to a dangerous degree. This might be where I crash and burn.

I am vascillating between the above thought and periods of confidence. I keep scaring the shit out of myself with how much fucking reading I have to do and how lost I am in how to bring this all together. I have to effectively teach myself the rudiments of a new language (the language of Sentiment and Sensibility and all its subtly gendered nuances. I know the Eng Lit gals will probably recognise this.) More to the point the primary source material is a real mixed bag. Some of it (like Hannah More's Cheap repository Tracts) is brilliant, i can read it all day and come up with a ton of ideas. Some of it though I just find my brain shuts down when I try to read it. I spent my college days avoiding the romantics and their precursors like the plague. What the fuck was I thinking?

*blinks*

That probably should have been in the mildly irritating thread come to think about it.

Glad to hear Sarge was spotted. I hope he's ok.

oh and Steve, I may not be sorry about your finger but I am sorry about your stomach :P Hope it passes quickly (if you'll pardon the pun).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #3041
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I'm as happy as the next person (probably more so) to engage in teacher-bashing, but I'd need to know the context before I would jump on this one.
K-1st-2nd grades are the years that kids figure it out on their own, the ones with older sibs sometimes hear about it sooner and like to enlighten their classmates, this has been going on forever.

If the teacher was put on the spot or called upon to settle an argument, wtf was she supposed do - lie? If that's not what happened, I'm supposed to believe she just decided to set the record straight for a room full of santa believers out of nowhere? I'm struggling with that.

what she said. We demand that our teachers do not indulge in any spiritual teaching ...just cold hard facts. I'm guessing we would not be overly pleased if our kids came home refusing to tread on cracks in the pavement in case they kill their mothers because the teacher said it would..... Santa is seen as a christian thing here -most Jewish kids don't get visited by Santa -how the heck is a teacher supposed to handle that? "Well yes, he's real, but only for nice Christian children?"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #3042
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
We train children to believe the little lies of childhood, so they will be better at believing the big lies of the adult world.
Just something I heard somewhere once. It seems a bit cynical but I thought I'd throw it in.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #3043
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Question for Brianna - is Big Sarge OK?
I don't know. I haven't seen/heard from him. I am feeling worried like everyone.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #3044
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
If the teacher was put on the spot or called upon to settle an argument, wtf was she supposed do - lie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
how the heck is a teacher supposed to handle that? "Well yes, he's real, but only for nice Christian children?"
The teacher should say "Ask your parents. We don't teach about Santa in school."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #3045
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

How 'bout, "Kids, no Santa appears in the curriculum. Now, we'd better get going unless you want Chinese overlords!"

That oughta get the lil bastards moving.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss