The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
mrnoodle
bent

Boeing CEO fired for affair

Here's the story. He's married with kids and grandkids, and the woman he was diddling didn't report directly to him, but the CEO of Boeing was still asked to resign in the wake of an affair with an employee.

Puritanical witch-hunt or righteous firing? I can't decide.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I'd like to see their code of conduct, and see if it forbids adultery or states "no sexual relationships between employees are allowed."

If not, I'd fight it.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

At the very least, I'd suspect Boeing expects employee relationships to be reported to HR. It's also possible the affair could affect his security clearance.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 03-07-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What does xoxoxoBruce have to do with this?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

Senior leadership having an affair with ANY employee would leave that company open to some serious litigation for sexual harrassment among other things. even if he wasn't her direct supervisor, he is the CEO so she does work for him.

at a company i worked for a woman, who we will call Ms. Skank, did 3/4 of the managers over about 18 months. in each case she initiated the affair, but then turned around and sued for sexual harassment. she got a nice check out of it.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
in each case she initiated the affair, but then turned around and sued for sexual harassment. she got a nice check out of it.
Umm, after she did this once or twice, didn't managers # 3, 4, 5, etc. start to sense a trend?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

i didn't say they were good or smart managers. she was hot. willing. aggressive. they were men. a very dangerous mix.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
She musta gone for the CEO when she found out that bruce's dance card was full.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
breakingnews
Q_Q

Apparently Stonecipher was a "forceful" leader who was a big proponent of ethical behavior. Nothing in their ethics code (according to notes here) says anything about company-cest, but the board decided his actions would compromise his integrity.

Quote:
However, Platt said, Stonecipher acknowledged the affair and the company concluded that his behavior violated a code which states that Boeing employees will not engage in conduct or activity that might raise questions about its honesty, impartiality or integrity.
Quote:
"The board concluded that the facts reflected poorly on Harry's judgment and would impair his ability to lead the company," he said.
You're a leader of a major corporation (you are a leader of any company, for that matter). Poor judgment will inevitably lead to dissention in the ranks. Not surprised they kicked his ass out. No witch-hunting here: Just protection from liability and an effort to skirt anything that might marr the company's already failing reputation.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Stonecipher back stabbed Condit and set up Sears, to take over. He's led Boeing down the same path he led McDonnell Douglas to big profits on the federal teat while jeopardizing the long term health of the company.
Canned for screwing an employee? Hell, he screwed every employee, every day.
Now I'm going to have to sit through another all day ethics seminar while this cocksucker walks away with hundreds of millions. Oh...I forgot....he's been embarrassed. Big whoop.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The girl was trying to sleep her way to the top. He got caught with his hand in the nookie jar. I can say that while I was with Boeing, ethics were a serious business; especially after they lost 7 satellites when a guy who was hired brought plans he made when working for another company, and the CFO got busted for hiring a military member who helped Boeing get a contract to lease airplanes to the government for re-fuelling when buying them would be cheaper.

Should he be in trouble? HELL NO! What's the point of being a CEO if you can't nail a few younger and hotter women attracted to wealth and power? Why do men try to be successful in business? Women. It's the same answer for every single thing straight men do or don't do.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #12
Pie
Gone and done

This is just an overreaction to the string of scandals that have been plaguing boeing. As a competitor, I have to say that it couldn't happen to a better company.
- Pie
Old 03-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
at a company i worked for a woman, who we will call Ms. Skank, did 3/4 of the managers over about 18 months. in each case she initiated the affair, but then turned around and sued for sexual harassment. she got a nice check out of it.
Government-santioned boffing for dollars?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #14
redsonia
Wet Nurse's Aide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Now I'm going to have to sit through another all day ethics seminar while this cocksucker walks away with hundreds of millions.
Been there, done that, Bruce. Since Boeing took us over the ethics seminars have multiplied like bunnies. I keep saying that ethics begin at home, but no one here is listening.
redsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

To all Boeing employees:
Over the weekend, the Board of Directors asked for and received Harry Stonecipher’s resignation as President and Chief Executive Officer. We have appointed James Bell as interim President and CEO.

Events that led to this action began 10 days ago, when General Counsel Doug Bain, Vice President of Ethics Martha Ries and I received anonymous information regarding a personal relationship between Harry and a female executive of the company. The board took this matter seriously and immediately instructed the General Counsel’s office to bring in outside counsel and lead a thorough inquiry into the facts. All parties cooperated fully and candidly with the inquiry, which determined that there is, in fact, such a relationship—and that it is consensual and had no effect on the conduct of the business. Harry did not interfere in any way with the career path or compensation of the other executive, and she does not report directly to him.

However, the board holds the CEO to the highest of professional and personal standards. We concluded that the facts reflected poorly on Harry’s judgment and would impair his ability to lead the company forward. Finally, Harry’s actions were inconsistent with the Boeing Code of Conduct—specifically, the portion that states “Employees will not engage in conduct or activity that may raise questions as to the company’s honesty, impartiality, reputation or otherwise cause embarrassment to the company.”

The Board therefore decided that it had no choice but to request Harry’s resignation, especially since we—and much of the rest of the world—have considered him as an icon of Boeing’s integrity. Harry came out of retirement to lead this company through a difficult time, and he has been a giant in this industry for many years. His resignation was in no way related to the company’s operational performance or financial condition.

Speaking for the board, we want to reiterate that we are committed to strong ethical leadership. Whenever we see improper activity, we will act quickly and thoroughly to determine the facts and take decisive action regardless of the individual’s position in the company. Our customers, shareholders, suppliers, communities—and, especially, each of you—deserve nothing less.

James Bell, who will also retain his current responsibilities as Chief Financial Officer, will provide the company with consistent leadership as the board accelerates its search for a permanent President and CEO. The succession plan includes both internal and external candidates. James has told me he looks forward to returning to the CFO position when the board has named the permanent President and CEO. We are confident he is the right person to lead the company during this interim period.

Boeing’s financial position is very strong; our current performance is excellent; and our growth prospects are bright. That cannot be attributed to any single person. It has taken extraordinary commitment by every Boeing employee to move us from where we have been to where we are now. For that I thank you. And I ask for your support in helping James and me lead Boeing forward.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:57 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote