The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Bones

Last year I buried the remains of my door prize deer in the garden and then planted tomatoes on top. Can't say anything special happened with the tomatoes but right before halloween I dug up some of the bones to make gruesome decorations. I have been studying the bones and looking at ways in which they have been used by "primitive" people for tools.

So, I had this toe bone, yes deer have toes. At least two, I'm pretty sure. So I had this toe bone and I needed a new mouth piece for my pipe. I've taken up pipe smoking again because when I inhale the tobacco smoke I feel really good for a while. So, I had this toe bone and I thought maybe I could make it into a mouth piece for my pipe since the old one made from Vegetable Ivory (Tagua nut) had cracked since I worked it too thin.

First time I ever worked bone. Amazing stuff, toe bones, Very, very hard.

Bones. Ask for them by name.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
SamIam

My ex husband used to make pipes - for pot - out of elk antlers. Those were nice pipes! I bet that deer toe bone one is nice, too. Pix?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Post a pic please. You have far surpassed me in Paleo skills
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

What are you working it with?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
glatt

When we were in NZ years ago, we came across an artists community where they did a lot of work with bones. This place was on the coast, and I think they had traditionally used whales tusks, but now they just used bones from cows or pigs. We picked up a really cool necklace for my wife. We watched one artist for a while. They used flexible shaft rotary tools with burr bits in them. Created a fair amoint of dust and noise, but was quite effective.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I'm using a #40 and #50 Nicholson Pattern Maker's Rasp, a drill, a small Wm. Henry Clay Dovetail saw, and sandpaper.

I really have no idea what I'm doing and only a vague idea how to take advantage of the natural shape of the bone. I was surprised to find the toe bone was so hollow and at the knuckle it was nearly completely solid.

I'll get some pics together.