The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Betsy DeVos is Bad Mmmmkay ...you can help

Help needed! 3 votes short of blocking Betsy DeVos. If you live in ME, TN, AK, GA, UT, NC, WY, LA, KS, SC, or KY, call your US Congressman 202-224-3121 or 202-2253121.

Here in Michigan we've lived her ill-informed, personal-agenda-driven religiously-motivated attempt to eradicate public education. It failed (so far) ....but left such a wake of shit we're dealing with that instead of teaching kids. Many new charter schools failing to reach the basic standards of numeracy and literacy and yet taking funding away from public schools which meet those standards and then some. This is (almost entirely) a non-partisan issue here -we all think she's a disaster. Please trust us.

This is not good for Americans of any political leaning. She has no education credentials, no true experience...... but knows about making money and how she wants to promote the kingdom of god and replace schools with churches as the social centers of communities. (Don't believe me on that? Google it)

Think about how often you ever see me get seriously political..... I HATE politics. But this is not politics, it's education and the future of everything -including politics. This REALLY matters.

/lecture. (please call them)
Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

If charter schools are so permitted, then anyone who applies must be accepted. That school cannot expel anyone unless some other school is willing to accept that student. Charter schools only want what is easiest for them. Sometimes to great profit for top management.

My experience with charter schools: they were trying to drive lesser students out rather than do remedial education. Then the public school took those student in; solved the problem. In every case, that student then went on to be accepted in a 4 year college. No thanks to those two charter schools.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
monster

Experience of my acquaintances also ...they make life unpleasant for the low-achievers and difficult kids so they leave and return to public-school (...and yet some of the schools still get shitty test scores). But their students all wear a nice uniform and don't have weirdly colored hair or facial piercings, and say yessum and no sir. My kids' K-8 school was an alternative program within the public school system and taught kids to learn and be part of the community, rather than teaching to test ...and they still got better standardized test scores than many of the charter schools. But they had really weird colored hair and called teachers by their first names.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds exactly like the Catholic parochial schools of my youth, I don't know anything about the Christian Academies. My Ex was still bitching 20 years later that she missed a perfect score on her English test because she said, "John loves Mary" was a proper sentence. Isn't it? Nope, John can only "love" God.

I went to public schools, so there's that.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Monster: I'm with her.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Monster: I'm with her.
Which her?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You claim to be a reader....

pffft.

Quote:
I am the loyal opposition.

--snip--

Well, fuck that shit.

I DO NOT consent to much of the madness going on in (the other) Washington lately. The executive orders, while legal, are not expressions of how I believe our country should act. The basket of deplorables representing the bulk of his cabinet nominations are unacceptable. Mattis and Tillerson are the least revolting but Jeff "good people don't smoke marijuana/good ol' boy" Sessions and Beverly "no public school for me or my children-ever" Voss horrify me. My representatives had better vote NO if they want to act on my behalf. Let's not get started on that clown, Perry, who wants/wanted to eliminate the the agency he's now been nominated to head. JFC.

It's **crucial** that I do my part, that I do my best to be an informed citizen. The success of our country depends on it and depends on you in the same way. Having informed myself, I will exercise my right to free speech (while it lasts, Steve "the media should keep its mouth shut" Fucking Bannon, I'm looking at you). See something, say something. This emperor has no clothes, (and no brains and no class and no maturity, I could go on) and by God, I'm going to say something.

I am the loyal opposition and I object!

Attachment 59257
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
tw

Quote:
You claim to be a reader....
You want me to make conclusions from wild speculation? One can easily be the loyal opposition and still stand with Betsy Devos.

So again, is "her" Monster, Betsy Devos, or someone else? I believe I know. But that would only be speculation. Which her?

Am I suppose to read your lips? Apparently those cards distorted your answer.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
You want me to make conclusions from wild speculation? One can easily be the loyal opposition and still stand with Betsy Devos.

So again, is "her" Monster, Betsy Devos, or someone else? I believe I know. But that would only be speculation. Which her?

Am I suppose to read your lips? Apparently those cards distorted your answer.
I am fine if you continue your long-standing tradition of making conclusions from wild speculation.

As for the rest of your questions, I leave them as an exercise for the student.

Here's a clue: read.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Shit on Betsy DeVos all you want--but saying charter schools are bad is like saying movies are bad: obviously there are bad ones, and also amazing ones, just like there are bad public schools and amazing ones. Often the bad ones are motivated by money or religion, in my experience.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's a Betsy DeVos?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
obviously there are bad ones, and also amazing ones, just like there are bad public schools and amazing ones. Often the bad ones are motivated by money or religion, in my experience.
Some best advance courses I took came from a 'for profit' operation. However that post-graduate university is completely different from other 'for profit' operations.

What is the purpose? If purpose is profit, then education is bogus. In my case, that school was driven by providing good courses. Profiting because their purpose was teaching - not profits.

It comes down to a strategic objective. What is the purpose - profits or product? Must be one or the other. Many charter schools are only for profit - kids be damned.

Charter schools that do not take every applicant should be banned. Can a grocery store restrict customers based upon color of skin, religion, height, or body odor? Of course not. Businesses offer relevant services to all potential customers. Or must be terminated with prejudice.

Charter school must provide education to everyone who applies. That includes even special education students.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
tw

Quote:
I am fine if you continue your long-standing tradition of making conclusions from wild speculation.
I was only joking - taking a vague point to demonstrate how you might love Besty Devos. It loses its humor now that I must explain it to someone so emotional. Please continue pissing on others like a douchebag. It might even be entertaining.

Or should I also speculate that your nastiness of some kind of joke? Maybe I could if you were a nicer person. Apparently that also requires too much speculation.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So you can read *and* speculate. Attaboy! New skills! Congratulations!

By the way, your "joking" needs some work. Keep trying though!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #15
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Shit on Betsy DeVos all you want--but saying charter schools are bad is like saying movies are bad: obviously there are bad ones, and also amazing ones, just like there are bad public schools and amazing ones. Often the bad ones are motivated by money or religion, in my experience.
I don't think I said all Charter Schools were bad? I certainly didn't mean to. But the ones that sprung up suddenly when this system was introduced mostly were. There are plenty of fine charter schools around here. covering almost every aspect of educational approaches, and they've been around for a while. Ann Arbor Prep High School -in which you almost certainly would enroll yours if you lived here- is a shining example. Also Honey Creek K-8. But all of a sudden there was an influx of schools sponsored by institutions of dubious repute based on tenuous mission statements and nobody really monitored them until it was too late. Charter schools will not go away if this woman goes away. Nor should they.