The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: If the election were held now, who would you vote for?
Bush (R) 8 25.00%
Kerry (D) 18 56.25%
Other (?) 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Vote Early

...vote often.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Yeah, I know I didn't list anything for "other" or "I don't vote". I'm mostly interested in the Bush vs. Kerry conflict.

I'd also like to know why you'd vote the way you did: Are you voting because there is something about the candidate you really like and support? Are you voting because there is something about the opponent you don't like and are against?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Can I choose neither? Sheesh, are those the two best people America can come up with?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

if there was a "not bush" choice, id make it, but since that seems impractical, i have to go with kerry. can;t be worse than GWB. can he?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Unfortunately, I am primarily voting against Bush, rather than for Kerry. Kerry was about sixth in my Democratic lineup. But Bush is at the absolute bottom. Of course, there are people who could squeeze in under him (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, DeLay), but they aren't running.

Last election, I had hope for third parties (not that they could win, but that they could start growing), and voted Libertarian*.
Of course, living in DC, it hardly matters how I vote, but Bush has shattered my complacency that Dems and Reps are similar enough to not matter, so I'll have to go Democrat this time.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

Bush, because he's a known quantity. He's also a better wartime president, because he won't hand our balls to the U.N. the first time they whine for them.

Kerry doesn't stand for anything. No Dem that I have asked can come up with something they support Kerry on, other than "he's running against Bush". Yeah. That's how I want to pick the leader of the most powerful country on the planet.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm not bush's biggest fan, but unfortunately the best person for the job is out in the private sector somewhere because politics attracts the lowest among us.
but i vote for bush because i am not a fan of kerry's globalist views, besides the fact that i haven't heard kerry come out with any strong points other than he isn't bush.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:15 PM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Unfortunately, I am primarily voting against Bush, rather than for Kerry.
Ditto, and I love your reasoning, too. To recapitulate: I can't say that I love Kerry, but I'm hoping he'll at least be constrained somewhat by his party's acknowledged platform.

- Pie
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
Kitsune
still eats dirt

"he's running against Bush". Yeah. That's how I want to pick the leader of the most powerful country on the planet.

Doesn't that sum up this election, along with almost every one previous to it? "Picking the lesser of the two evils."
Old 04-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Definitely "Other." I don't know who (s)he is yet, but Other is my first choice. I still subscribe to the dimes worth of difference theory as spelled out here. Right now Bush looks more evil with his big government, big oil, war-making agenda, but Kerry hasn't exactly reputiated the methods, just the man.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #11
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

As far as I'm concerned, Kerry is the better of the two evils. I just.don't.like.Bush...I was cringing through that whole press conference the other night, especially when he said this:

Quote:
"You know why I do? Because I've seen freedom work right here in our own country. I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom. We have an obligation to help feed the hungry. I think the American people find it interesting that we're providing food for the North Korea people who starve. We have an obligation to lead the fight on AIDS, on Africa. And we have an obligation to work toward a more free world. That's our obligation. That is what we have been called to do, as far as I'm concerned. "
*sigh* And again, here is the government tying themselves in with God and yet again, alienating another group in this country that do not have a belief in the "Almighty". How are "we" all supposed to come to the table of peace, when various groups/people are constantly being undervalued, underestimated and marginalized???

An obligation to help feed the hungry (impoverished), eh?

Mayors Survey reveals U.S. Poverty 2003

Census Bureau News

Coalition on Human Needs

Hunger and Poverty

And as far as the fight against AIDS in Africa...it seems as though the US didn't bother with it until it became such a huge epidemic.

I was always under the impression that we had an obligation to take care of our own citizens. hm....*shrugs*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #12
glatt

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
No Dem that I have asked can come up with something they support Kerry on, other than "he's running against Bush". Yeah. That's how I want to pick the leader of the most powerful country on the planet.
Yeah. Well, the thing is, when you have hit rock bottom, every direction leads up. It's a perfectly rational way of thinking. The Democrats will happily vote for Kerry, even though he doesn't inspire anyone. They think he can't muck things up as bad as Bush has. Nothing wrong with picking a leader that way. It's unfortunate, but not wrong.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
lookout123

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt

They think he can't muck things up as bad as Bush has. Nothing wrong with picking a leader that way. It's unfortunate, but not wrong.
what specifically has Bush mucked up so bad?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's a joke, right, 123?

what specifically has bush NOT mucked up?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #15
lookout123

sorry - hit the wrong button.

yes there is something wrong with voting for someone just because you don't like the other one. this isn't an election for homecoming king. the person elected will be stearing this nation for the next 4 years.
if you can honestly say that kerry has a better plan for improving this nation's position within the world; then by all means vote for the man. but if you can't be honest enough to vote FOR a person running the don't vote. i wish there were other choices for president - but there are not for this current campaign. Carefully choose a person to vote FOR - don't just blindly vote AGAINST someone.

the "anybody but Bush" or "anybody but Kerry" mentality is just plain screwed up.