The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #61
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Why no Sony, Chewie?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #62
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

446200 Virtuoso Pyrotechnisist playing RocketMania on the easy level.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #63
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Why no Sony, Chewie?

This reminded me Chewbaccus never got back on and answered... It's because Sony is evil. 100% pure evil. They make it very hard on game developers (at least, the developers who aren't THEM.) Our company actually had a very strong case for their theft of one of our game concept submissions, but we couldn't afford the lawyers so it never went forward.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:12 AM   #64
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
It's because Sony is evil. 100% pure evil.
You misspelled "Microsoft."
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:15 AM   #65
elSicomoro

Hahahaha!

I suspect they'll drop Xbox down to under $100 by Xmas. If they do, I'll buy it...but I'm still loyal to Sony.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #66
Clodfobble

Don't get me wrong, they make great games... playing-loyalties and working-loyalties are different. But Microsoft is at least willing to play ball with American game makers. Sony automatically has disdain for an American game, even their American offices.

Plus, I've got another reason to hate Sony--Microsoft put almost state-of-the-art audio functionality in their state-of-the-art graphics machine. Sony royally fucked over sound designers everywhere with the PS2. A PS2 is literally nothing but two Playstations inside a single case, from an audio standpoint. More overall space for sounds, but a PS2 can basically only process the same number/quality of sounds as an original Playstation can. 8 fucking megs of audio RAM, and not even the ability to steal RAM from other areas of the game.

As a rule, we design our sounds for the Xbox, and then start chopping them down (to less than half the size) to fit onto the Playstation.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #67
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
Don't get me wrong, they make great games... playing-loyalties and working-loyalties are different. But Microsoft is at least willing to play ball with American game makers. Sony automatically has disdain for an American game, even their American offices.
Whoa there. Sony's American HQ has ABSOLUTE CONTEMPT for the vast majority of Japanese games, leading to hordes of interesting titles getting the corporate overload thumbs-down when someone wants to release them stateside for their system.

The PSX's success is at least in part due to the variety of niche games and oddballs released for it, but it's the tip of the iceberg compared to what's available for it in Japan.

Quote:

Plus, I've got another reason to hate Sony--Microsoft put almost state-of-the-art audio functionality in their state-of-the-art graphics machine. Sony royally fucked over sound designers everywhere with the PS2. A PS2 is literally nothing but two Playstations inside a single case, from an audio standpoint. More overall space for sounds, but a PS2 can basically only process the same number/quality of sounds as an original Playstation can. 8 fucking megs of audio RAM, and not even the ability to steal RAM from other areas of the game.
This may bother audiophiles, but since I'm definitely not one (I generally can't tell much difference between the same song on cassette and CD), it's not a problem for me.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:53 AM   #68
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I suspect they'll drop Xbox down to under $100 by Xmas. If they do, I'll buy it...but I'm still loyal to Sony.
There are exactly two (2) games for the Xbox that I'd buy that aren't also available for PC, PS2 and/or GameCube:

1) Panzer Dragoon Orta
2) MAYBE Jade Empire (which won't be out until at least next February).

On the other hand, I have a pile of worthy PS2 games that I _haven't played yet_ because I haven't had the time to get into them properly.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #69
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We got us a developer versus player war here
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #70
Clodfobble

The PSX's success is at least in part due to the variety of niche games and oddballs released for it, but it's the tip of the iceberg compared to what's available for it in Japan.

That's why having a mod-chipped console is important. I've got no beef with the PSX, it's a great machine. It's when they decided to make the PS2 the way they did that I started to hate them.

Here's why developers (who aren't EA) hate Sony: Sony requires all games to be approved by them. They control the approval process, and often it can take 6 weeks or more. This is usually enough time for the competitor's product to get out on the shelf. Most often this is EA. EA has had games go on the market with bugs that other companies were getting rejected for--when the other companies DID NOT actually have those bugs. Sony claims there's a bug, the developer can't reproduce it, we sit in stalemate until EA's game goes on the shelf. Then they say "Ah, well, it seems to have been fixed, alright, congratulations, your game submittal is approved!"

Electronics Boutique and EA are also in bed, if you're curious who your corporations are sleeping around with.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:53 AM   #71
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

We are in agreement that Sony's approval process sucks donkey balls, and is responsible for a lot of quality games never getting a US release. I've always held the view that Sony routinely tanked 2D games early on because Saturn 2D > PSX 2D graphics-wise (as anyone who's played the Capcom fighters for Saturn will attest).

If Tobal 2 had come out over here, it would've been an absolute smash hit, though that was more Squaresoft's fault than Sony's.

One of these days, I'm going to break down and mod my PS2, or at least get a flip-top mod for it. If I could mod my PS2 so that it'd play PS1 backups, I could retire my old PS1 for good.

EB has its share of strange business practices -- I live a mile from their corporate HQ and frequent their clearance outlets, so I've seen it firsthand -- but their customer service is miles beyond the typical GameStop experience, so I'll stick with them as a general rule as chains go. (There are some GameStops that are decent -- look for ones that are busy, so that the clerks don't have time to deliver the Before I Ring This Up, Allow Me To Give You A Ten-Minute Dissertation On Our Used Game Buyer Program, And Would You Like A Cleaning Kit? prepared speech.)
Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #72
elSicomoro

The GameStop up the street from my house seems pretty decent...the few times I've went up there, I haven't been hassled.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #73
Clodfobble

I'll take a sales pitch over the pretend-to-be-your-buddy routine they have going at EB any day. Doesn't matter what game you're buying... *dropped voice* "Naw, man, trust me, ok I'm not supposed to be biased, right, but you're gonna want to get insert similar EA game here instead."
Old 06-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #74
elSicomoro

I'd take an EA sports game over any other.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #75
Clodfobble

Give it only maybe 2 or 3 more years and you won't have a choice.