The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #16
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

When the computers would go down at my old office - we would sometimes have chair races. But nothing like this. Frankly - working in an office - this looks like a lot of fun. But knowing my clutz-ish behavior - I would end up amputating some body part trying to get to the finish line.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:40 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My office does not have room for chair races.

We get some good spins going, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:37 AM   #18
Packey

Couldn't find anything that on this particular event, however I did run into this web site

http://www.officeolympics.net/
Old 06-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #19
ToastyKen
Profitable Prophet

Caption from this temporary link:

Quote:
A participant speeds down a road on a office chair during the first office chair World Championships in Olten, Switzerland June 11, 2005. The 64 office chair racers from Germany, France and Switzerland took part in a 200 metres long race in the old town of Olten.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #20
glatt

Funny picture. I like it. The guy looks so intense.

I don't think the technical skill of the photographer is really anything too special. If there were 64 participants, then the photographer could set up shop at this one jump and have 64 tries to get a good shot. It's a bright, sunny day, so the aperature of the camera can be closed down pretty small, creating a large depth of field. The photographer can pre-focus on the center of the ramp, and still have much of the foreground and background still in focus to allow for the different paths the racers will follow. The participants are not going all that fast compared to a car race, so the shutter speed can be a little longer to create a sense of motion blur. Maybe a 60th of a second or a 30th of a second or so. The previously mentioned small aperature will allow such a relatively long exposure. As each racer goes over the jump, the photographer can hand hold the camera and pan with the motion. That keeps the racer relatively crisp, and blurs the background. Panning isn't so hard. You can't get a good shot every time when you pan the action, but with 64 tries, you will have several that will come out well.

I don't mean to say that the photographer has no talent. It's easy for me to sit here and figure out how the picture was taken. Quite another thing to set up the shot in the first place.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #21
Ubergeek
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
... Dude looks like he's about to have an organism......
Either that or he's already gone off one jump and the gas lifter under the seat is about 3 inches up his butt...

Weird bit is I work for Staples ... we sell these chairs and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be putting those caster through that kind of torture. Can you say Pavement Rash boys and girls?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That's all part of the fun.

Haven't you ever cheered for the inevitable wheelchair pileup at the turn at the downhill at the start of the Boston Marathon?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #23
Ubergeek
Simulated Simulacrum

No...

But I do have to admit that I only watch NASCAR for the crashes ... I mean, come on ... does anybody really want to watch 33 rednecks drive real fast in a circle?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

3.3 million other rednecks?

Old 06-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #25
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

The only reason I watch any sport is to see someone bust their ass.
Well almost.
I like to see them bust each others asses too.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #26
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergeek
No...

But I do have to admit that I only watch NASCAR for the crashes ... I mean, come on ... does anybody really want to watch 33 rednecks drive real fast in a circle?
well.....I do.....and actually the top 43 cars qualify for race day......and not all the tracks they race on are circles .....(I could tell by your post you'd want to know this......)
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
It's a bright, sunny day, so the aperature of the camera can be closed down pretty small, creating a large depth of field.
But if you look closely the depth of field isn't that deep. Really the only thing that's sharp is the upper half of his body.

Uh...and his right knee.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-17-2005 at 10:17 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #28
Ubergeek
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
well.....I do.....and actually the top 43 cars qualify for race day......and not all the tracks they race on are circles .....(I could tell by your post you'd want to know this......)
Actually I am impressed these days ... when I was a kid (I'm 40 btw) I just cound't see what all the hub-bub was with NASCAR ... I mean come on, they were not very fast and did in those days drive only in circles. Not really very impressive.

But in last decade or so? 200 miles per hour plus, bumper to bumper ... it might not be the same skills as an F-1 driver taking hairpin corners at 150, but that still takes some guts and real skill to pull off. You also must have to have a lot of faith in your fellow drivers... I sure as hell wouldn't want to have some guy tailgating me that speed!
Old 06-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #29
jaguar
whig

Panning is always much harder than you think. You're right, it's damn sunny so the apature was probably (thinking sunny F/8 and drop two stops for the shutter speed) 11 or 16 to get a slow enough shutter speed for the background blur but it's still a bitch to pull off right. Not a straight pan either, he just went over a jump.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #30
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
Yeah, twice a year, they turn RIGHT
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote