The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #46
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but from a Google image search for "Peter Capaldi mischievous:"
looks shopped

(ok ok ok, i love steven moffat work, so i'm probably going to watch it anyway)
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Peter Capaldi is a very respected actor in this country. I've seen him play very gentle characters and ones who sound like they'd happily rip your throat out given half the chance.

I was looking through his filmography to see what clips to look for, and found that he played a transvestite in Prime Suspect. Which is funny, because David Tennant also played a transvestite early in his career, in Rab C Nesbitt.

he starts singing/miming a little over a minute in. It goes off to some other action whilst he does, but then comes back to him. Incidentally the guy chasing the young lad is David Thewlis, also in the top 3 of my list of actors I'd love to see playing the Doctor :P

Tennant in Rab C Nesbitt:

Last edited by DanaC; 08-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #48
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Peter Capaldi is a very respected actor in this country. I've seen him play very gentle characters and ones who sound like they'd happily rip your throat out given half the chance.

I was looking through his filmography to see what clips to look for, and found that he played a transvestite in Prime Suspect. Which is funny, because David Tennant also played a transvestite early in his career, in Rab C Nesbitt.

he starts singing/miming a little over a minute in. It goes off to some other action whilst he does, but then comes back to him. Incidentally the guy chasing the young lad is David Thewlis, also in the top 3 of my list of actors I'd love to see playing the Doctor :P

that's pretty good - a much wider range of emotions then his cop series youtube clips. i'm crossing my fingers on him bringing in a great version of the doctor - hoping he can capture him in his range of expressions - maybe with some new quirks added to the mix
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #49
DanaC

Cop series? Do you mean Thick of It? In which case he isn't a cop in that he's a political advisor/fixer
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #50
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Step into the TARDIS.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #51
Beest
Adapt and Survive

I've decided to start wading through Whos to keep up with the canon, I'm only up to series 4, so no Matt Smith yet, I'm finidng Tennants characterisation of the doctor increasingly irritating.

I think I like the Doctor more Lordly than Jestery, this pic is from the Who wiki page, ote only the two recent incarbations are smiling.

I hoping Cipaldi goes more Old School, Troughton or Pertwee, sharp and abrasive, rather than melancholy and hyperactive.

Supplementary question: Watching on Netflix the episodes are about 50 minutes, do they air as a single hour long program each week, or do they a break, or are they shorter episodes shown each week, edited together on Netflix?
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #52
DanaC

single episodes. I think the American eps are a few minutes shorter to allow for adverts though.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #53
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yes, and the cable broadcasts in America are forced to make extremely awkward cuts in the action to keep in line with our standard commercial breaks. We're lucky they don't cut in on them mid-spoken-word.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #54
it
Banned

so do you think they are really going to stick to the stated limit of 13 reincarnations? i can't imagine them cutting out the legacy just to keep in lore consistency (which with all my love for the show, consistency isn't really it's strongest attribute)...

but if it is, then this would supposidly be our last doctor (accounting for both peter capaldi and john hurt)
Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #55
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yes, and the cable broadcasts in America are forced to make extremely awkward cuts in the action to keep in line with our standard commercial breaks. We're lucky they don't cut in on them mid-spoken-word.
a la Hulu or some other streaming channels. very jarring.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
so do you think they are really going to stick to the stated limit of 13 reincarnations? i can't imagine them cutting out the legacy just to keep in lore consistency (which with all my love for the show, consistency isn't really it's strongest attribute)...

but if it is, then this would supposidly be our last doctor (accounting for both peter capaldi and john hurt)
I think that's highly unlikely :p

Besides, canon is a little vague as to how that works anyway. The limit on regenerations was initially mentioned in a Fourth Doctor episode. It was picked up again in a Peter Davison episode (Mawdryn Undead). It became accepted as canon, but they played around with the idea after that: the master was granted an extra regeneration by the Timelords - implication being that it is a managed limit rather than an absolute limit, in which case, with no Gallifrey or Timelords the limit might no longer apply.

The 11th Doctor (I think...might have been tenth) made a comment to the effect that the limit was into the hundreds. It was a throwaway line, put in to make the fans giggle, I suspect.

That's the thing about Who canon...it changes :P Things get dropped in s convenient plot devices, or because they seem like neat ideas at the time...then when they're no longer convenient they get written out by another convenient plot device or neat idea.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
... That's the thing about Who canon...it changes :P Things get dropped in s convenient plot devices, or because they seem like neat ideas at the time...then when they're no longer convenient they get written out by another convenient plot device or neat idea.
Of course, and it's perfectly in line with the character. Remember the first rule about the Doctor: the Doctor lies.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #58
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

What I'd like to see for the 11th Doctor's finale is for the Doctor to somehow end up regenerating while wearing a sonic screwdriver that has been retrofitted with a thought pattern recorder (as was River Song's) which at precisely the right moment during regeneration captures the 11th Doctor's distinguishing essence, that which made him what River Song called "my Doctor"; so, the regenerated 12th Doctor can upload him into the data core of the Library as did the 10th Doctor with River. That way River Song would have her Doctor just as Rose Tyler has hers. Then we would have surviving elements of both the 10th Doctor (his mortal clone with Rose in a parallel universe) and the 11th Doctor (his thought pattern with River's in the core of the Library) and begin a new Whoniverse scenario in which the current Doctor could have reunions with normally aging previous incarnations.

Who's going to send this to Steven Moffat c/o the BBC for me?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #59
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Okay, so I'm coming up on my first Doctor regeneration as I finish out the 9th Doctor's series (he's got two episodes left). If the idea is that he's the same *person,* but in a different body... I'm confused. Does his personality change dramatically? I thought he has all the same memories and all?
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #60
DanaC

He's sort of the same person but also sort of different. It's kind of a rebirth and fresh start.

He has the same memories. But it's like different aspects of his character come to the fore. So each doctor is different, but with some common threads.

The first couple of episodes of a new Doctor, you usually see him figuring out who he is this time.