The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Run Away

I wish I could pinpoint the moment in my life many years ago when the travel bug bit me and come to understand why it refuses to let go. I wish even more that I could take the leap, for just a short time, and actually travel randomly on the road.

In the meantime, I can dream and enjoy reading about the adventures of others.

Quote:
"Do it now, think about it later."

It had become my mantra. It provided me a lovely mindfuck that led to complete irrationality, which led to the greatest adventure of my life.

It got me to leave my thriving marketing business, buy a 1975 Airstream camper on eBay, trade in my nearly paid off Jetta for a Ford F-150 pickup, pack my just-splurged-on motorcycle, and head out on a freewheeling trip across America.
Have any of you just hit the road and escaped?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I love travel but the older you get the more responsibilities one has with family, jobs, income, responsibility to others. I love to travel but do enjoy doing it with a plan involved and money in hand. Many people enjoy travel and just figuring it out as they go doing it on the cheap, getting odd jobs when they need money to get to the next location, I could never do it that way. We have always camped, but not for about 8 years, and it was the cheapest way to get across the nation.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I always dreamed of just running away, starting a new life in a new city.
I was obsessed by it when I was 15/16, I used to fantasise with my friends about what it would be like.

When they were at Uni and I was working I often went to stay with them. I kept friends from this period specifically because I was the onlyone who "bothered". In reality I had annual holidays which didn't clash with theirs and had the money for transport.

And in the last 10 years I have moved from my home town to East London, to Leicester and back to South East London. I finally learned you take your problems with you. But the urge is still there. The first thing I ever do in my lottery fantasies is go and buy a ticket to the States. I'd drive coast to coast while I work out what to do with my millions. Okay it's the second thing, the first is withdraw pots of money so my family can live it large while I'm gone.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
binky
all hollowed out

I used to hate that my mother would just pick up and move to a new place every few years, but now I sort of feel the same way so maybe it is hereditary??

Last edited by binky; 12-05-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
binky is offline   Reply With Quote