The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Army to court martial 'birther' officer

Quote:
From NBC's Jim Miklaszewski and Mark Murray
U.S. military officials tell NBC News that the U.S. Army will court martial a lieutenant colonel who refuses to deploy to Afghanistan because he considers orders from President Obama to be "illegal."

Army doctor Lt. Col. Terry Lakin believes Obama does not meet the constitutional requirements to be president and commander-in-chief, because he believes (incorrectly) that Obama wasn't born in the United States.

Lakin refused this week to report to Fort Campbell, KY for deployment to Afghanistan, but instead showed up at the Pentagon, where he was confronted by his brigade Commander Col. Gordon Roberts, a Vietnam Medal of Honor recipient.

Lakin was informed by Roberts that he would face court martial, and his Pentagon building pass and government laptop computer were seized.
Link

Apparently he is a rather well decorated member of the armed service and not some "off the wall" wingnut. Then again...
Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Link

Apparently he is a rather well decorated member of the armed service and not some "off the wall" wingnut. Then again...
I'd say that apparently he is BOTH a rather well decorated member of the armed service AND some "off the wall" wingnut.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'd say that apparently he is BOTH a rather well decorated member of the armed service AND some "off the wall" wingnut.
Yep, there's nothing mutually exclusive about that.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

He should be court martialed or discharged. The smartest thing he should have done is resign his Commission. Now they are going to make an example of him. Fool.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Cloud

fool, indeed, and racist, too. If Obama were whiter than he black, this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

wow - I didn't see that coming Cloud.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
...and racist, too....
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Cloud

because I believe that it's only because Obama is black that people are making a fuss about it; grasping at any straw they can think of. If he were a white president, no one would still be doing this kind of stuff. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my personal opinion.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Something of a parallel here:

Quote:
An RAF doctor who refused to serve in Iraq has been sentenced to eight months in jail and dismissed from the service.

Flt Lt Malcolm Kendall-Smith, 37, was found guilty of five charges of disobeying orders after he refused to go to Basra last June.

He claimed his actions were justified as the UK involvement was illegal.

But a court martial panel agreed with prosecution lawyers that the doctor, based at RAF Kinloss in Scotland, could not "pick and choose" orders he obeyed.

Dr Kendall-Smith will serve half of his sentence in a civilian prison and the remainder on licence.

He was also ordered to pay £20,000 in costs.
BBC: Jail for Iraq refusal RAF doctor.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Cloud

gee, what is it with the army doctors? are they all nutcases, or what?

and what happened to the Ft. Hood shooter? Is he still languishing in an iron lung somewhere? (goes off to google)
Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
TheMercenary

Quote:
because I believe that it's only because Obama is black that people are making a fuss about it; grasping at any straw they can think of. If he were a white president, no one would still be doing this kind of stuff. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my personal opinion.
I certainly respect your opinion. But that is the new mantra of the left-wing nuts, anyone who disagrees with Obama is now called a racist. I think that is a huge mistake and is only stated to stifle anyone who disagrees with his policies.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Cloud

well, that's a good point. But the extreme obstructionism of these people does not, frankly, make sense to me otherwise.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
TheMercenary

Quote:
gee, what is it with the army doctors? are they all nutcases, or what?
Pretty broad brush there...

Quote:
and what happened to the Ft. Hood shooter? Is he still languishing in an iron lung somewhere? (goes off to google)
He is in a wheelchair I believe, and in jail just outside of Ft. Hood.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
TheMercenary

Quote:
well, that's a good point. But the extreme obstructionism of these people does not, frankly, make sense to me otherwise.
Because they are Constitutional nutcases, not because they are racists. Oh, and they listen to G. Gordon Liddy and Rush on right-wing radio.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Cloud

if they so believe in the Constitution, why don't they believe in the Supreme Court who enforces it (and who verified Obama's birth certificate and eligibility?)

These people are not expressing discontent with Obama's policies, which would be fine; they are against him, personally, against the evidence. It's like they can't believe that this person of mixed heritage represents the good ol USof A to the world.

(shakes head)