The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
Correction, I pointed out that ALL children born in US hospitals are deemed US citizens, a legal point that Troy seems to conveniently overlook. the 'wrong' that you refer to is a matter of ethics, not of fact. Rabble rousing articles like the one under discussion serve no valid purpose. They exist only to sell Newspapers.

Now, about that horseshit,bruce.You may wish to retract it, or you may wish to eat it. Much as you would like it to, you can't make it stick.
You still don't get it. ALL THE FACTS IN THE ARTICLE ARE CORRECT.
Quote:
TROY ANDERSON Should not be a journalist if he can't get his facts right.What a dick.
YOU ARE WRONG. Now do you get it? You said facts and you are 100% wrong.

As far as ethical goes, reporting what a local politician is planning to tell congress and interviewing the source of the politicians data, who clarified the data so it wouldn't be misleading is unethical?
Looks to me like your pattern of crying foul and calling names on anyone that you don't agree with, again.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #47
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

LOL......is Bruce really MaggieL??????????
Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #48
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Nope. I know them both and they are definitely different people, albeit both are correct about you.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 AM   #49
billybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
billybob and charlene are really Dave and Jeni(sp).

And BrianR misses the point on two counts......
Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #50
Ibby
erika

Quote:
...but the expert testimony of a former border guard with 27 years experience certainly counts for more than the simplistic rantings of a rude and angry housewife from one of the whitest states......
Emphasis my own.

Now, who's the one who was accusing everyone else of racism? And who's the one who says that it doesn't matter where you are, because you can still know where things stand?
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #51
billybob

Ibram....................dear sweet MaggieL decided, before I had even taken a standpoint, that my opinions were void because I'm not a legal resident of the US. For that reason alone, I mock her with her own brand of racism.
Not only that, but when a friend of mine happened to point out that this forum was not particularly open to opinion, she rather ignorantly referred to my good American friend as a 'sock puppet', thus proving charlene's point.
...it's a waste of time trying to even ascertain the facts when the board is more interested in finding reasons to discredit you before you've even lodged your position. The facts and figures are out there, very easy for either side of the debate to locate and process, but the question of why people choose their debating stances remains a mystery. The only real thing that I have gleaned from this forum is that they are overwhelmingly on one side of the issue, and deeply resent any nasty foreigner asking questions as to why.

Enjoy your closed circle, there's no benefit to me in trying to figure out why you support this legislation if I don't value the process you use to determine your opinions.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #52
Ibby
erika

So everyone is automatically on the same side if they don't agree with you? My stance on the issue is really probably closer to yours than Maggie's, but you are the one being a jerk, from my standpoint. I'm not trying to discredit you, you did that yourself. I'm just giving you a hard time on everything, because you are giving everyone else a hard time on everything. Maybe you don't realize it, maybe you don't mean to, but it is my opinion, and I will act on it.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #53
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Billy forgets that he started off with *my* opinons being void because I live in Pennsylvania, where he originally claimed than none of this really matters to us because we're all so white and far away from Mexico. I pointed out how similar NZ law (you know, the immigration law that has benefited him so much personally that his immigration has been subsidized by the NZ government) is to our own, but that's irrelevant when it invalidates his opinon, because I'm a xenophobe, and what's happening to him personally is somehow not germane. In the face of the most incredible potty-mouthed invective it is I who is rude, and I'm "deluded by stereotypes" in the eyes of a man who assumes that all females must be housewives.

It's pointless arguing with him; everything turns into a response driven by projection:
Quote:
...A defense mechanism in which the individual attributes to other people impulses and traits that he himself has but cannot accept. It is especially likely to occur when the person lacks insight into his own impulses and traits...
So everybody else is a racist and a xenophobe, and once he's caught sockpuppeting he randomly accuses others of being sockpuppets...but that's not his fault, it's mine, of course; I forced him to do it.

Next we'll be told we're all projecting, I'm sure.... :-)

Last edited by MaggieL; 05-15-2006 at 11:43 AM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Personally, I embrace being a racist xenophobe. And I see enough illegals seeking treatment that I know why I'm not getting a raise this year despite sterling performance.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #55
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I see enough illegals seeking treatment that I know why I'm not getting a raise this year despite sterling performance.
You mean you don't get a raise, even though business is booming? :-)

Well, if it was the *children* of illegals you were treating, that would be different, because they are citizens.

Wouldn't it? :-)

I still think that new NZ law has the right idea on that score...
Quote:
Those present in New Zealand as permanent residents before 21 April 2005, or those who applied successfully for permanent residence before that date, may be able to apply for New Zealand citizenship after 3 years' "ordinary residence" (this provision expires on 1 January 2010).

Those that have been in New Zealand without a permit during their ordinary residence period do not meet the requirements because "unlawful residence" is precluded in the Citizenship Act 1977. Ordinary residence is assessed by backdating three years before an application is lodged. Time spent in New Zealand before the three year period is not relevant.

One must also intend to continue to reside in New Zealand, be of good character, have sufficient knowledge of the English language, and demonstrate an understanding of the responsibilities and privileges of being a New Zealand Citizen.
...and I think the wording of the Fourteenth Amendment would support that interpretation, too...even though that's not how it's currently applied. (We seem to have a problem with how we apply the Second Amendment too, go figure.)

Obviously an illegal alien isn't "under the jurisdiction of the US", nor are their children...at least until they're apprehended. This is yet another way to reduce the incentives to break immigration law, along with making it unprofitable to hire illegal labor. "Dive across the border and have a kid as quickly as possible; the gringos will pay for it."

Last edited by MaggieL; 05-15-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #56
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Send in the troops!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #57
MaggieL

To keep flies away, it's more important and easier to cover the food than to mend the holes in the screen.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #58
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
To keep flies away, it's more important and easier to cover the food than to mend the holes in the screen.
Ah, yes, but a wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Uh... what?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #59
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Comparing people to flies...well, ain't that nice?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #60
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao
Comparing people to flies...well, ain't that nice?
There's nothing "nice" about the situation. If the analogy disturbs you, maybe it should; I think the most disturbing thing is how apt it is. Flies don't care that it's your kitchen and your food, all they care about is they're hungry and you can't stop them.