The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-27-2001, 02:31 PM   #1
umbrella dryspell
Rapscallion

memento

has anyone seen this movie?

i did a few months ago, and am eagerly anticipating the DVD release next week.

if you answered yes above, and will also buy the DVD, this raises the next logical question: will you play the DVD backwards, chapter by chapter, or view it normally, the first time you watch it?
Old 08-27-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I saw it, and it was *awesome*.

I would watch it normally every time, but I would go through it bit by bit at least once to see what frames contained more than I thought!

This DVD better have a ton of extras including two different Director's commentary... one explaining the film and one explaining the film.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
savagegarden768
Non-Newbie Sort

Amazing movie. I also loved the Sienfeld episode that went backwards (about an Indian weding?). I guess anyothing that goes backwards hooks me in. Anyone know of any other films that procede backwards ??
savagegarden768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Mrs. Parker
Mademoiselle martini

One of my all time favorites. Christopher Nolan is one of the most original and talented filmmakers. I have also never watched it backwards on DVD. I'll have to try that. Although a completely different genre of movie, I also really liked Nolan's "Batman Begins" (except for the casting of that crazy crooked smile Katie Holmes). Nolan wanted to nail the original dark comic book story, and not make another piece of unrealistic action fluff. Did you know that all of the action sequences and special effects were shot the old fashioned way --- they are not computer generated.
Mrs. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Great movie. Love it. Although there is a confusing bit at the end that doesn't fit into any timeline.

"I DID IT" tattooed on his chest, when he's in bed with his wife. Or something like that. Remember?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
savagegarden768
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Parker
One of my all time favorites. Christopher Nolan is one of the most original and talented filmmakers. I have also never watched it backwards on DVD. I'll have to try that. Although a completely different genre of movie, I also really liked Nolan's "Batman Begins" (except for the casting of that crazy crooked smile Katie Holmes). Nolan wanted to nail the original dark comic book story, and not make another piece of unrealistic action fluff. Did you know that all of the action sequences and special effects were shot the old fashioned way --- they are not computer generated.
katee homes has a crooked smile?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
marichiko

That's the one about the guy who had like zero short term memory, right? And he wrote notes to himself on his body and he couldn't remember which room he was staying in or if he had paid for it or not?

Someone told me that I should see it right after I got CO poisoned and my short term memory was truly horrid. I couldn't remember the name of the film, and I discovered it by accident at the video store and rented it, and that's all I can remember of it.

I was soooo impressed with him writing the notes on himself! I used that same trick from that point on and wrote things I needed to remember on my palms.

Thank heavens I no longer have to do stuff like that - at least not so much.

I definately want to see the movie again now that I can remember it!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagegarden768
Amazing movie. I also loved the Sienfeld episode that went backwards (about an Indian weding?). I guess anyothing that goes backwards hooks me in. Anyone know of any other films that procede backwards ??
Try 'Irreversible' French film, violent, but once you start watching you'll find it hard to stop as you just have to know what caused what you have just seen to happen
Old 04-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
savagegarden768
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
That's the one about the guy who had like zero short term memory, right? And he wrote notes to himself on his body and he couldn't remember which room he was staying in or if he had paid for it or not?

Someone told me that I should see it right after I got CO poisoned and my short term memory was truly horrid. I couldn't remember the name of the film, and I discovered it by accident at the video store and rented it, and that's all I can remember of it.

I was soooo impressed with him writing the notes on himself! I used that same trick from that point on and wrote things I needed to remember on my palms.

Thank heavens I no longer have to do stuff like that - at least not so much.

I definately want to see the movie again now that I can remember it!
what is CO poisoned mean?

and the trick about writing things on your hand is not only from
that movie. many people does this. but is a good trick for sure.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
nyet
Fellow-Commoner

CO=Carbon Monoxide

if i remember college chemistry good enough
nyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Try 'Irreversible' French film, violent, but once you start watching you'll find it hard to stop as you just have to know what caused what you have just seen to happen
Yeah but like, half of the people leaving after the first 5 minutes of the film. It's one of the most horrible films I ever saw. Be prepared to be shocked, but some great piece of cinéma, damn she's sexy, my dear Monica.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

yeah loved that movie, although I was left wondering at the end wether or not the whole thing was a dream or some such... seeing as how his wife (?) was there next him.. anywhoo, long day tomorrow... I'll be back
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #13
charlene
Future world traveller

One of the strangest movies I've ever seen. But then again, it's the sort of movie that you don't forget. I must say that it was refreshingly original.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote