The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Reality TV That Doesn't Make You Feel Dirty Watching It

I'm watching "Modern Marvels" on The History Channel. This episode is about axes. Yup, axes...big, heavy, sharp things meant to hack trees apart. Makes me soooo glad that we have chainsaws.

Reality TV like this is educational, interesting and actually...well, real.
When I finish watching MM, or How Its Made, Junkyard Wars, How Do They Do It?...even "Destroyed in Seconds" or "Real TV", I come away without that sullied, vaguely slimy feeling that I get when I accidentally see episodes of The Simple Life or any of those other celeb based pieces of shit.

So, who watches Reality TV? What do you like? Why do you like it? Do you want junk food for the mind or something that makes you wish you were creative and interesting enough to have your own show?

There are no wrong answers. Well, there are, but let's pretend there aren't for now.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I like Idol, but that's about it for reality shows for me. The rest of them pretty much suck in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Heh, I like HGTV, all of it. Ghost Hunters, Dirty Jobs, and Mythbusters.

Yep, I thought I'd never been into it, and often frowned on it, until it was stuff I liked.

Now I'm a pathetic addict.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I like Project Runway, Top Chef, Top Design, What Not To Wear AND the shows Elspode and Cicero mentioned.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Elspode

We are Idol junkies at my house, but that isn't celeb Reality. Much as it is vapid in its presentation and all, it still boils down to this: can the prospective Idol bring it? Based on their performances, their looks, their personalities, are they ready for prime time?

*That* qualifies as Real. I know a potential Idol if, when they perform, they bring goosebumps to my arms. Strip away the trappings of the presentation, and you are left with what the performer can do.

That's awesome. The rest of it is crap, but the performances can and have been brilliant.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I like reality tv.
It saddens people I know (esp HM, who despised it for being cheap, tacky and common - and because he didn't get to work on it).

I don't usually watch TV for edification. I watch it for entertainment. I'm not stupid - I know when it's formulaic. I can spot editing (hell, at least they're usually more slick than panel shows). I know it's not "truth".

I really enjoy I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here. Mostly for Ant & Dec, I admit, but it never pretends to be a serious show. Can't wait for the next series - Dads finally succumbed to it last year, it will be fun talking to him and Mum about it.

Shipwrecked is the ultimate hangover TV - even when you're not hungover, seeing bratty teens wearing as little as possible is quite calming when you know you will never again be judged on how you look in a bikini. It does make me feel dirty though - bad example.

I like the singing shows. The ones based on musicals. Having Lee Mead in Any Dream Will Do last year made it a must-see for me because he was such a professional (he was already a West End understudy). Glorious. I'd Do Anything - not so good. Still better than the pop based shows though.

Oh and Faking It almost always makes me cry.

What can I say? I haven't come far since bread & circuses.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Elspode

Ah, but what about Beer and Circuses?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Coincidentally, there's people whinging about chariot racing in the London papers today. I think it might be coming to the O2. Not my bag - I'd take beer and bread over chariots & circus any day.

And thick cut frites with mussels, and mayo, and unsalted butter.
Damn I'm craving Belgian
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

Top Chef and Iron Chef are my favorites. Dirty Jobs is ok sometimes, mostly just because Mike Rowe is hot. I've never seen any of the network tv ones.... usually I have History channel on and half watch it.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Mike Rowe is hot.
Have you seen any of the episodes where he happens to sing? He used to be a professional opera performer, no shit.

But I don't think nonfiction shows like "Dirty Jobs" and "Mythbusters" count as reality TV. To me, there have to be major unscripted elements and some semblance of a contest to qualify.

I like "Top Chef" and "Project Runway," and I've mentioned before my really inexplicable love of "The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team." I used to like a lot of the interior re-design type of shows, but I got burnt out on them.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Mike Rowe is hot. .
OMG, YES! He's cool and funny.

I forgot to mention Survivor Man. I much prefer him over the other one with the cuter guy.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Mike Rowe has this remarkable likability quality, as in, he's immediately somebody I'd want to hang around with. Like he's never been a dick to anyone, ever, although you expect somebody that good looking to be a dick. I would not be gay with Mike Rowe but I would happily hold his towel while he's gay with somebody else.

I have never really enjoyed How It's Made, and I like it less since I realized it's really How It's Made In Quebec. Everything you see is being made there. For me this makes it into, like, one of the Japanese shows that's translated into English for the new cable audience. It's fundamentally dishonest, like if you watch it with the original soundtrack you hear some bitter Quebecois saying with a heavy accent "Now zees ess how we stamp out stan-less stell seenks to sell to tha stupeed Americains."

J and I enjoy that "Cash Cab" occasionally but this, too, is not reality programming.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Funny you would start a thread about this, I was thinking of doing something similar.

I sort of have a beef with RT (Reality TV). On the one hand I really enjoy it, it dominates much of my watching. On the other hand there are a bunch of really crapy shows out there that I just can't relate to and for the life of me can't figure out why people watch them.

I lean towards the shows that are more adventure or out doors like. Some of the first ones on were very good, like This Old House. Most of them we PBS based. No one else was doing them.

I enjoy Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, the show about the lumber companies in Washington State, Survivor Man is ok but Man vs. Wild is much more realistic and provides more useful info. Much of the stuff on History Channel is good. American Idol is only good for the first few episodes where all the idiots who think they can sing get booted, good for a few laughs. Gardening by the Yard with Paul James is quite informative. Myth Busters is great entertainment and a few new ones along that line have been good.

There was a time when Cops was good, but then it got old. It has been replaced by Cold Case Files, Swat, FBI shows, the show where they chase the car theives, Jacked, and one that I really enjoy, First 48. Parking Wars is funny but not really my style.

Now we move to some of the more questionable ones for me. I don't get shows like Project Runway, Next Top Model, Real World, Big Brother, Temptation Island, The Anna Nicole Show, The Osbournes, Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica, Hey Paula! and Hogan Knows Best. The show with the black dude with his bling clock (who is one ugly mug) and a bunch of nasty gf trying to win his heart for a date. Now they have added Rookies, about rookie cops who cry on TV when they screw up. And a whole bunch of shows where they throw people together or follow around a bunch of rich wives as they get plastic surgery and argue with their kids and rich friends.

Much of it I don't understand what people get out of some of these.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And "Breaking Bonaduce". I hate that guy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
And "Breaking Bonaduce". I hate that guy.
I agree. And that reality show with all the celebs in Rehab, how frigging nasty is that? Watching Nick Nolte and some of those other dropouts makes me sick.

Tags
tv shows