The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #16
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Well, LJ, aside, thanks to everyone else for your encouragement and suggestions.

At least you are trying. Don't worry about any naysayers: They can eat a steaming bowl of toxic shit spinkled with maggots. Screw them.

Good luck in whatever you do.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I say, go for it!!

What is the worst case scenario? You don't get it.
What is best case scenario? You get it!

What have you got to lose besides unemployment?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:12 PM   #18
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Definitely give it a go.

What they need to hear is that you have written successful grant apps in the past. That more than offsets whatever liabilities you might think you have. Keep in mind, they don't know you and don't know about some of the stuff you are worried about so don't volunteer anything.

Don't just go for it. Go for it with confidence. Just assume that they will give you the job. Your resume and cover letter should provide the "back up" necessary to justify them handing it to you.

Report back after you get the job.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #19
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Qualifier? How does poisoning yourself qualify you for this job?
Do you mean that your sob story might trump the fact that you don't have the 3 years experience they are looking for?
You're right, Jinx. Think I'll just loll around on welfare at your expense. Maybe do a little creative writing, move back down to God's country in Durango, smoke a lot of weed, and find myself a sexy cowboy to hang out with. No point for someone like me to try to do anything. :p
Old 11-28-2004, 10:08 PM   #20
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I've been on both sides of job specifications and I can tell you that the qualifications listed are what they would like to get. If there a number of qualified candidates applying, you are unlikely to get the position.

On the other hand, if there aren't a number of qualified candidates applying you have a shot.

I once posted an ad for someone with three years of c++ experience. This was in a small town in the middle of illinois. The guy I hired had no experience in any field. What he had was a ph.d. in zoology and a minor in computer science. But, he was the most qualified applicant, so he got hired.

I think it all comes down to whether there will be other candidates with more experience. Give it a shot. But don't pin your hopes on it. In the mean time, submit a bunch of other resumes for other positions. Getting hired is a numbers game. You generally have to lick a lot of envelopes to get an interview -- and do a lot of interviews to get an offer.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:34 AM   #21
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Just a tidbit of unsolicited advice....

Monster.com...if you're truly serious about looking for a position, post your resume there too. My new job came from them searching there for resumes that 'fit' their requirements, and a slew of emails, phone calls, and interviews later, I'm starting there in approximately *gulp* 7 hours.

Good luck to ya....

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:41 AM   #22
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippant
If "stupider" were actually a word I'd feel really threatened right now. I'm not her "frined" either. What do you use frineds for?

stu·pid Audio pronunciation of "stupider" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:53 AM   #23
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
and in sales, people need to like you.
So people "LIKE" used car salesmen? That's hilarious

And Mari: a lot of the experience requirement depends on what kind of company it is. Some companies are tight-asses about requirements, others aren't. Some place more emphasis on the abilities of the candidate and how they present themselves in the interview. They might find someone with 10 years grant writing experience, but if that person is a troll who sucked at their job, they might hire YOU instead. With my last job I was totally unqualified, but the interview went great and they knew I was motivated, so it worked. Like I said before, go for it!

Last edited by garnet; 11-29-2004 at 09:04 AM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #24
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
You're right, Jinx. Think I'll just loll around on welfare at your expense. Maybe do a little creative writing, move back down to God's country in Durango, smoke a lot of weed, and find myself a sexy cowboy to hang out with. No point for someone like me to try to do anything. :p
Mmmyeah, that's exactly what I said.
No, obviously (as in why would you need input on this, it's a no-brainer) I think you should apply for the job and do whatever you can to get the job, qualified or not. I do however question whether your "experience" is a "qualification" and I'm wondering why you worded it that way.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #25
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Do you know why I do my job so well? It's not because i'm qualified or i've experienced it. It's because I give a damn.Those things are great don't get me wrong.....But who wants to work with half-ass? They want to work with someone who wants to get them grants. Not someone merely qualified to do so.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #26
marichiko

Quote:
Mmmyeah, that's exactly what I said.
No, obviously (as in why would you need input on this, it's a no-brainer) I think you should apply for the job and do whatever you can to get the job, qualified or not. I do however question whether your "experience" is a "qualification" and I'm wondering why you worded it that way.
Here's exactly what you said: "Qualifier? How does poisoning yourself qualify you for this job?
Do you mean that your sob story might trump the fact that you don't have the 3 years experience they are looking for?"

According to you I am someone who "poisoned myself" and expect to go around telling "sob stories" about this in order to obtain jobs that I am unqualified for. You really expected me to give a serious reply to a question worded the way yours was?

The short version of the furnace incident is that my CO detector was malfunctioning and I did not know it, and my ex-step father was the one who serviced the furnace, and at the time I thought he knew what he was doing. If you want to call that "poisoning myself," that's your perogative. The long version of the furnace incident IS a sob story which I'm not interested in relating here.

The job is working for a non-profit group which seeks to help the homeless. My qualifier is not that I suffered from chronic CO poisoning, but the fact that my resulting ill health prevented me from working and I ended up homeless myself. I know what it is to experience homelessness. I feel deeply about the issue. I have done a great deal of research on the subject on my own, especially when it comes to funding programs to help the homeless find shelter. My first hand experience makes me a very dedicated advocate on behalf of the homeless. Now, do you get it?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #27
jinx
Come on, cat.

I know the long version... or the one flippant emailed my husband all about when he was kicking your wheelchair anyway.
I get it that you feel that thru no fault of your own you were significantly damaged and now are entitled to all sorts of things. Good luck with that.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:41 PM   #28
marichiko

Quote:
I know the long version... or the one flippant emailed my husband all about when he was kicking your wheelchair anyway.
I get it that you feel that thru no fault of your own you were significantly damaged and now are entitled to all sorts of things. Good luck with that.
This is the final time I will respond to a post by either you or your husband. Your opinions have no interest for me. I find many of the comments that both of you make to be childish, mean-spirited, and ignorant. You embarass only yourself with your ill-informed replies, and your husband embarasses himself by his spiteful and childish displays of anger against certain people on this board.

My dear, you don't "get" ANYTHING and you know nothing of me or what informs my actions or what really happened in my life. Your judgements have a certain amusement factor to me and nothing more.

Flippant shared the PM she sent to your husband with me and I thought it was very kind of her to stand up for a friend. She told a bit about her part in our shared story. She told very little of mine.

Now you may both reply as you see fit (or not), but all future posts by either of you will be met by me with the response they deserve. None.

I feel no further need to justify or explain myself to either of you. I have far better things to do with my time.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #29
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
This is the final time I will respond to a post by either you or your husband. Your opinions have no interest for me. I find many of the comments that both of you make to be childish, mean-spirited, and ignorant. You embarass only yourself with your ill-informed replies, and your husband embarasses himself by his spiteful and childish displays of anger against certain people on this board.

My dear, you don't "get" ANYTHING and you know nothing of me or what informs my actions or what really happened in my life. Your judgements have a certain amusement factor to me and nothing more.

Flippant shared the PM she sent to your husband with me and I thought it was very kind of her to stand up for a friend. She told a bit about her part in our shared story. She told very little of mine.

Now you may both reply as you see fit (or not), but all future posts by either of you will be met by me with the response they deserve. None.

I feel no further need to justify or explain myself to either of you. I have far better things to do with my time.

Bravo for you. You are right...it's certainly not worth lowering yourself to that level of bullshit. Do what you can to get that job, and always have a plan B handy.

All the best to you!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The job is working for a non-profit group which seeks to help the homeless.
Oh shit, does that mean if you get this job we'll be subjected to endless posts about the homeless instead of the Yellow Book adventures?
Oh well, good luck.....it's right up your alley.