The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #691
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

"Gunslinger IV: Wizard and Glass", by Stephen King

It's a good yarn, but a bit uneven and inconsistent. For instance, there is a scene where Bert's bird skull is explicitly put in his saddle-bag, but at the end of the scene it's back on his saddle horn. I'm not quite sure whether this is artifice or a slip-up.

If this Susan Delgado bit doesn't end soon I'm going to be upset. She's hotter than Salma Hayek, she and Roland fall deeply in love, and the citizens of Mejis Barony are supplying Farson and his democratic revolution. I get it, move the fuck on, man.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #692
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant
If this Susan Delgado bit doesn't end soon I'm going to be upset.
Not to give anything away... (highlight) but you'd best start skimming then. Her story is pretty much the book. But I know a lot of people who thought it was the best of all the Gunslinger books, so maybe you'll get more engaged in it soon?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #693
funkykule
professional bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I loved The Time Traveller's Wife. I recommended it to everyone I know who reads.
So do I! I loved it. Can't recommend it enough.

I still love the classics I adored as a child. I could almost recite Little Women and The Secret Garden for you! There was a time (when I had endless summers) that I would finish either one and just start again.

I recently read "I'm not Scared" by Niccolo Ammaniti. I'd recommend it.
funkykule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #694
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Am currently reading "Getting Things Done - the Art of Stress Free Productivity"

My thinking is that it will help me in my next job - seeing that I quit this one today.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #695
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Not to give anything away... (highlight) but you'd best start skimming then. Her story is pretty much the book. But I know a lot of people who thought it was the best of all the Gunslinger books, so maybe you'll get more engaged in it soon?
Maybe the reason I dislike it is that the love-story part of it is resonating a little to deeply for comfort.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #696
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

I'm not currently reading it, but Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny is one of my favorite books, to the point I'd include it in here.

Right now, though, I'm reading Buddhism: A Concise Introduction by Huston Smith and Philip Novak. It's pretty elucidating so far. I don't see how it couldn't be, though, as it's the first book I've read on true Buddhism and not simply Zen, or any religion other than Christianity for that matter. One interesting passage I've found follows:

Quote:
Buddhism begins with a man. In his later years, when India was afire with his message and kings themselves were bowing before him, people came to him even as they were to come to Jesus asking what he was. How many people have provoked this question--not "Who are you?" with respect to name, origin, or ancestry, but "What are you? What order of being do you belong to? What species do you represent?" Not Caesar, certainly. Not Napoleon, or even Socrates. Only two: Jesus and Buddha (3).

For fiction I'm trying to get started reading The Briar King by Greg Keyes. Its synopsis makes it sound exactly like Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series so I've been having some trouble getting into it.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #697
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Finally clawed my way through all the paperbacks of the Dresden Files series, just about to start Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #698
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

If that one's anything like Neverwhere, expect it to be good. I should see if it's out in a mass market paperback now.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:05 AM   #699
Ibby
erika

schyeah!

But American Gods pwnz Neverwhere...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #700
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yeah, it's not a whole lot like Neverwhere, outside of the "ancient magic hidden in the modern world" angle, but it's a very good book. Especially if you read any Anansi stories as a kid, or watched Reading Rainbow.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #701
perth
Strong Silent Type

I made the mistake of picking up the first Discworld book, 'The Color of Magic' by Terry Pratchett. It's going to cost me way too much to read the complete series. If you haven't heard of Discworld, the simplest analogy is to think Hitchhikers Guide set in a fantasy universe. It seems to me, however, that Discworld is more accessible and more consistently funny (tastes may vary). I'm reading 'Wyrd Sisters' now, which features Granny Weatherwax, a witch who quickly became a favourite character of mine in 'Equal Rites'.

I vaguely remember the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy being discussed a long time ago in this thread. I read the first book late last year and have been unable to find the second so far. Hopefully I'll get the rest read soon. A wonderful first book, from the first page I could vividly imagine the world in which it was based, and felt emotionally attached to the characters.

John Swartzwelder, 'The Time Machine Did It'. The cover touts it as 'by the writer of 59 episodes of The Simpsons'. Episodes I count among my favourites. I really thought I was in for a treat and ordered this one online (which I don't really like to do). Weak story wrapped around mediocre jokes. I was disappointed when it arrived, the book was very short. I had no idea what a blessing this was.

Uh, 'Freakonomics' was good, but I'm talking too much.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #702
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth View Post
I made the mistake of picking up the first Discworld book, 'The Color of Magic' by Terry Pratchett.
I'm reading them "in order", and I'm just starting "Mort." It probably has the strongest start of any of the Discworld books I've read so far.

I started Elmore Leonard's "Pagan Babies" last night, but only got a handful of pages in before he some of the characters started using what was apparently a Bantu language. Then I had to go lookup the language and get all linguistics-geek on it.

I'm a Leonard virgin; so far I'm not liking his style.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #703
Ibby
erika

Island, Aldous Huxley.

Wonderful counterpoint to Brave New World; a true utopia, one that so far seems absolutely perfect to me, 176 pages in.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #704
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I'm reading them "in order", and I'm just starting "Mort." It probably has the strongest start of any of the Discworld books I've read so far.
I've skipped 'Mort', Borders didn't have it when I looked. I'm very eager to read it, as I understand Death plays a bigger role. Hopefully they'll have it and the next couple books after 'Wyrd Sisters' next time I go in. I hope some of the later books contain more references to the gods playing D&D style with the lives of mortals. Those passages (in the first book) were riotous.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #705
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Anyone see the cartoons? Apparently there was also a Hogfather live action special this past holiday.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books